No announcement yet.

*** VD 6 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been very busy lately - work and tomorrow is my Fantasy draft (27 year old Al only league that I am the Commissioner of) and to be honest I just look at a Spreadsheet today - Have today off for good friday. So I am not quite sure what I am doing. I decided at the start of the draft I would play this draft more like chess then depending on the rankings / value. Not sure where it will take me but it is kind of a fun strategy to try. I am sure I will be fuck in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Was wondering when someone would take/KO Sisler....
      I was deciding between the 2 - one to pick the other to Ko. not sure if I made the right choice.

Comment

• We are flying around our end today!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
          We are flying around our end today!!!!!
          Phrasing.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Why are you fading fast, Knuckleballs? Tired? Drunk? Baked?
            All of the above. Actually, because I suck. The beginning of my draft was pulled out of my ass. For a first timer this thing is pretty overwhelming. I really don't have a strategy and it's tough to get organized when you've never done one of these before. Do the wildcards mean we can double up on 2 letters?

Comment

• Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
              All of the above. Actually, because I suck. The beginning of my draft was pulled out of my ass. For a first timer this thing is pretty overwhelming. I really don't have a strategy and it's tough to get organized when you've never done one of these before. Do the wildcards mean we can double up on 2 letters?
              A Wild card is any letter you please ... you can pick 2 more B's if you want, or you can pick an M and a B ... anything, as long as you don't double pick a decade. Once you've used up a decade, it's gone.

Comment

• I never even looked at careers for my first few picks really. Never having to think about that before I never would have realized that my beloved Indian Rapid Robert would stick me up the rear in career. Bastard.

Comment

I never even looked at careers for my first few picks really. Never having to think about that before I never would have realized that my beloved Indian Rapid Robert would stick me up the rear in career. Bastard.
                  Well Hoss, Eck, Bonds and Gibson have "decent" career stats ... Smoltz, Molitor and Winfield aint too shabby either.

You are very well anchored for career numbers ... hitting and pitching, but especially your pitching.

... and to echo what ElD said ... this is the deep end of vintage drafting. As a first timer, if you can keep your head above water in this format you'll have done really well.

Comment

I never even looked at careers for my first few picks really. Never having to think about that before I never would have realized that my beloved Indian Rapid Robert would stick me up the rear in career. Bastard.
                    You're doing just fine. The first Vintage draft is always a bit disorienting and you really jumped into the deep end with this combo one. You'll get your bearings as you get increasingly familiar with the player pool. I haven't been participating for as long as others but I love it. Give me a choice between vintage drafts and a normal roto league and I'm choosing vintage drafts all day.

Comment

• Hey Johnny, question. The spreadsheet has Van Haltren from the 1880s but the history thread has him from 1940. Is he the George Blanda of baseball or is that a mistake? Your mailbox was full.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                        I have been very busy lately - work and tomorrow is my Fantasy draft (27 year old Al only league that I am the Commissioner of) and to be honest I just look at a Spreadsheet today - Have today off for good friday. So I am not quite sure what I am doing. I decided at the start of the draft I would play this draft more like chess then depending on the rankings / value. Not sure where it will take me but it is kind of a fun strategy to try. I am sure I will be fuck in the end.
                        Problem playing it like chess is your other 10 opponents need to be at least aware of what you are doing. Aside from Johnny, I'm not sure who pays a great deal of attention to what all the other drafters are doing. Hell, last draft I paid attention to me, and sometimes I'm not sure I even did that.

But you'll have to let us know how you think you did when we're done. I really enjoy when people critique their own strategy.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

This might have been the worst draft to jump into for a first timer. When we started vintage drafting, we used Career and 162-game numbers (can be found on BR.com). You had to take 23 players, one from each of 23 different letters.

As a group, we got bored with that and really started doing screwy ass things...this is the screwiest along with the one time we did franchises and letters and I think we had knockouts also. By the end those of us left with our brains still in our heads were the only ones who did well.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            A Wild card is any letter you please ... you can pick 2 more B's if you want, or you can pick an M and a B ... anything, as long as you don't double pick a decade. Once you've used up a decade, it's gone.
                            Wait...I can take a 3rd B? That's new...and coooooool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              Problem playing it like chess is your other 10 opponents need to be at least aware of what you are doing. Aside from Johnny, I'm not sure who pays a great deal of attention to what all the other drafters are doing. Hell, last draft I paid attention to me, and sometimes I'm not sure I even did that.

But you'll have to let us know how you think you did when we're done. I really enjoy when people critique their own strategy.
                              I don't know if they have to be aware. I not trying to force them to do anything just trying to beat them to some players and hopefully not screwing me in the end. As i said probably not wise but with the lack of time to really research and follow it is what I got to try.

Comment

• potential VD pick Gus Triandos died today at age 82. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X