No announcement yet.

*** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm a pretty mediocre poker player. I think I make decent decisions, but I don't have a lot of strategy. Seeing people who think they have a lot of strategic thought, but make bad decisions makes me feel better about my play.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I think I'm a pretty mediocre poker player. I think I make decent decisions, but I don't have a lot of strategy. Seeing people who think they have a lot of strategic thought, but make bad decisions makes me feel better about my play.
      My first experience with strategy as a poker player was a disaster. I read Harrington's first book, and tried to implement his ideas ... but in an unnatural way. I was forcing situations to make the squeeze play etc rather than looking for the right spot. I quickly abandoned that and went back to plan A. It's good to read up on a lot of strategy and poker ideas ... and let these ideas seep into your game slowly, rather than trying to force it. Better still to watch a lot of poker and see how players deal with real situations.

3 or 4 times a year I go on poker watching splurges, and it convinces me to start playing again ... then I start playing and get bored after a month.

Comment

• I read the first two harrington books, and I watch a good bit actually. As I said elsewhere though... a lot of it doesn't work with bad players. You get stuck with tons of limping. This usually makes me more aggressive, but then you get stuck with lots of calling. You end up in hands with average holdings against too many other players and it becomes a lottery.

Comment

I read the first two harrington books, and I watch a good bit actually. As I said elsewhere though... a lot of it doesn't work with bad players. You get stuck with tons of limping. This usually makes me more aggressive, but then you get stuck with lots of calling. You end up in hands with average holdings against too many other players and it becomes a lottery.
          Yeah playing bad players is usually a patience game. ABC and position. I don't have the patience for it, even multitabling. It requires a different kind of patience for tourneys, which better suits me ... at least you know the action will come (whether you want it or not).

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            I'm pretty sure KS will find his way back. He knows he will end up devoting a lot of time to this, that is why he is not joining. He'll be back. He's still around RJ a lot.

As for Squid. I've no idea. It's sad he doesn't want to be part anymore. Seems he had a few issues in his private life, and just left everything behind. He was good fun ... hopefully one day.
            I liked Squid, but he got pretty hypocritical. Nothing major, but when I got laid off back in '05 and I was thinking about not participating in the VD at that time, he said, "c'mon, it'll take your mind off it!" Then when he got laid off, he dropped doing the VDs like yesterday's news. That just rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

• I think he took the summer off at the shore with his kids. Was enjoying being unwired for a while. Then when he got hired he was commuting to Boston during the week and RJ was blocked at work and weekends were the only time home with the family.

Comment

• Apologies for the delay -- very busy day at work. Not sure Ward is the right guy but didn't want to delay things.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Apologies for the delay -- very busy day at work. Not sure Ward is the right guy but didn't want to delay things.
                  That 1887

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    That 1887
                    You're right -- just edited it.

Comment

• johnny... my pick is coming up. I think you should update the history thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        You're right -- just edited it.
                        As Johnny always sez good to put some of the stats in so if you f-up the year we know what you mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          As Johnny always sez good to put some of the stats in so if you f-up the year we know what you mean.
                          pshh... fvck johnny.

Comment

pshh... fvck johnny.
                            Lets save that kind of talk for Eld

Comment

johnny... my pick is coming up. I think you should update the history thread.
                              I don't think I've made a single pick in the afternoon or evening ... so I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

• Hoffman is already taken. I sent Stephen a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X