No announcement yet.

VD2: Emergency KO Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was unaware that folks had thought we were playing a la option 2 to begin with. In that event, I would like to change my vote from option 1 to option 2. And I agree we can move on.

And the more I think about it, the more I'm in agreement with johnny. As long as everyone is playing by the same rules, I don't think anyone will be too negatively affected at this point.
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

With Long John's shift, that puts us at 5-3-4, with 3 left to vote. Guess we can't see who hasn't voted, can we?
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        With Long John's shift, that puts us at 5-3-4, with 3 left to vote. Guess we can't see who hasn't voted, can we?
        Sure, just click on the numbers...heyelander, hacko, and mjl have yet to vote.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          No offense, but how can anyone have thought that KOs did not mean KOing the player entirely?
          I was somewhere between 1 & 2 ... I had an assumption of how I thought it would work, but we failed to do the proper research to find out how best to apply it. Clearly no-one saw it ... or I'm sure they would have spoke up sooner.

2 probably more accurately reflects the spirit of the rule, and how I imagined it would work in terms of finding a balance between Letter KO's and Decade KO's (exempt letter / exempt decades) ... in the absence of debate, that was all I had to go on.

1 reflects my incorrect assumptions. What I failed to recognize was the consequences: that a player with 1 eligible year in an exempt decade will be KO exempt. When I looked into that in more depth (as we should have done pre-draft) it became clear that the KO pool was actually very small ... and did not accurately reflect a balance between Letter KO's and Decade KO's.

I voted 2, but I'm also happy to go with 3, because (a) it won't handicap anyone and (b) if we decide to include KO's in VD3, I'm fairly certain we will choose not to include exempt decades ... with the proper pre-draft discussion and analysis, we would have chose option 3 IMO. If it's 1, since the rules are the same for everyone, I'm OK to go with that also ... although it will be a bit weird (yet that might make it more interesting ... differing interpretations, means different values, means more variability).

Let's just decide and move on.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            That's definitely what I thought.
            But did you think about how this would work in practice? I know I didn't, and I don't think anyone else did ... and if they did, they didn't mention a thing.

Comment

Updated Poll Standings

13 have voted

2 still to vote: Heyelander, MJL

Option 1: 3
              Option 2: 6 (Long John switched to option 2)
              Option 3: 4

Option 1 is dead unless someone changes their vote.

If this finishes as a tie between 2 & 3, the guys who voted for option 1 can act as the effective casting vote ... a mini second round of voting.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I would like to announce my first KO pick... Johnny... for implementing KOs in a decade draft lol
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                  I would like to announce my first KO pick... Johnny... for implementing KOs in a decade draft lol
                  Wasn't my idea ... I just post the polls of other peoples suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                    He's still playing so he's ineligible, duh!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

I honestly don't see how voting for the 2nd option will make anything markedly better than the 1st option.

For example, let's go with my King Kelly pick. Let's assume he's around in Rd 6, and Johnny KO's his 1880s BYs, since his 1870s BY is ineligible to be KO'd. Well, what does that actually do, since King Kelly has always been selected with an 1870s BY?

All Option #2 does is put a red X on the obvious -- no one was taking King Kelly for his 1880s BY anyway. So to utilize the KO correctly, the best use will be to still KO players in those "non-exempt" decades.

So what's the point?

Comment

I honestly don't see how voting for the 2nd option will make anything markedly better than the 1st option.

For example, let's go with my King Kelly pick. Let's assume he's around in Rd 6, and Johnny KO's his 1880s BYs, since his 1870s BY is ineligible to be KO'd. Well, what does that actually do, since King Kelly has always been selected with an 1870s BY?

All Option #2 does is put a red X on the obvious -- no one was taking King Kelly for his 1880s BY anyway. So to utilize the KO correctly, the best use will be to still KO players in those "non-exempt" decades.

So what's the point?
                        Let's say I see a dropoff in the 1930s after the next two players. So I want to take one and KO the other. The change means I can do that, and not go looking first to see if the KO guy had 100 AB in the 1910s or 1940s. It also doesn't arbitrarily protect a BY-heavy guy whose career may have started in 1919 or ended in 1940.
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

So what's the point?
                          For me, it makes no difference. Unless I see an amazingly obvious player to KO because of a super-strong season that can be KOed, and the player has a weak career line, I'll be concentrating my KOs on players that can be completely knocked out, not only half-assed knocked out.

Majority rules, and I'll roll with what we got.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

So what's the point?
                            Which is why option #3 was the best choice but whatever #2 is fine too.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                            X