Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VD2: Emergency KO Poll

Options:

1. Do not allow KO's for any player who has an eligible year in an exempt decade. (e.g. Frank Robinson cannot be KO'd because he has eligible 1950's years)

2. Any player can be KO'd. But if they have an eligible BY in an exempt decade that will still be draftable. (e.g. Frank Robinson can be KO'd, but his 1950's years are still draftable)

3. Remove Decade exemption rule and open all players for KO's. (e.g. Frank Robinwho? Permanently KO'd from all decades)

3.40pm EST:

13 have voted

2 still to vote: Heyelander, MJL

Option 1: 3
    Option 2: 6 (Long John Switched to 2)
    Option 3: 4

Option 1 is dead unless someone changes their vote.
    Do not allow KOs for any player who has an eligible year in an exempt decade
    0%
    Anyone can be KOd. But if they have an eligible BY in an exempt decade that will still be draftable
    0%
    Remove Decade exemption rule and open all players for KOs
    0%

The poll is expired.

It is of my opinion the player pool for every decade is plenty big enough to handle drafting needs and KOs. I might be wrong, but the numbers back me up. If that's incorrect, then we'll know for next time!
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      It is of my opinion the player pool for every decade is plenty big enough to handle drafting needs and KOs. I might be wrong, but the numbers back me up. If that's incorrect, then we'll know for next time!
      Thanks to Pogues for volunteering to take the fall!

Comment

If you are abstaining or waiting to vote for some reason, please make your position clear so we can close this ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          My position is that I don't care. If one of the choices necessitates a re-start, that's the one I don't want.
          That narrows down the choice to 3.

Comment

I also voted for #1 because that's the rule that we started the draft with and that's how we should run with it. Anything else should necessitate a restart. If you magically sensed ambiguity or "implied" (actually, you would have inferred) that the rule is open to misinterpretation, then this should have been addressed before the draft (re)started.

I think the rule should be #2, but since we started the draft under the premise that #1 was the rule, that's how we should finish the draft. VD3 can have KO option #2. VD4 can have KO option #3. Before VD5, we can decide which one is best. It's not like this is the last VD we'll ever do.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

I think the problem was some people had no preconception of what it meant ... they just assumed it would be like Letters. Others thought it was more like 1, but without thinking of the consequences of that (as we should have done/debated). Others assumed 2. Others maybe didn't even read the rules and just assumed that any decade was KOable.

Looking at everyone's teams, I don't see that anyone will be negatively impacted in terms of value. The players picked so far are more a reflection of the "pure value" rankings than VD23, and that did not have KO's ... so no-one will be handicapped as far as I can see.

I doubt 1 wins. But if it does KO's will have the following effect: no effect on exempt decades, a small effect on the neighbouring decades, and a potentially large effect on the stronger non-neighbouring decades (especially the 1970's 1980's and 1990's for hitting and pitching).

If 2 wins it will likely have a fairly even impact across all the non-exempt decades. The neighbouring decades may take a small extra hit to the non-neighbours because there will be less targeted players, but it will be very marginal. These decades often attract earlier picks anyway, so there may even be a net gain in terms of relative value to the non-neighbouring decades. We will only be able to see that after the draft.

If 3 wins, I have a feeling it will not make any real difference as the number of KO's will be more evenly spread out ... I doubt people will even bother KOing 1870's hitters as they probably won't be worth KOing ... one dregg is much the same as the next.

Those are just my feelings about how it will pan out ... so don't take it as gospel. I don't think any of the outcomes requires a restart ...

Comment

Yes, at least two of us thought option 2 was what we were doing, so arguing #1 because that's what we started with is not really what has happened. Besides, I think #1 is the worst of the 3 options because it takes us the furthest away from the purpose of including KOs in the first place. I am fine with 2 or 3 (my vote) and agree that neither would require a restart.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Yes, at least two of us thought option 2 was what we were doing, so arguing #1 because that's what we started with is not really what has happened. Besides, I think #1 is the worst of the 3 options because it takes us the furthest away from the purpose of including KOs in the first place. I am fine with 2 or 3 (my vote) and agree that neither would require a restart.
                  No offense, but how can anyone have thought that KOs did not mean KOing the player entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    No offense, but how can anyone have thought that KOs did not mean KOing the player entirely?
                    Because it makes no sense to have such a tiny KO pool.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      With me it was more not thinking it through all the way. I had my players ranked by decades, so when i looked at the 30's decade I assumed I could KO those guys since the rules only stated that other decades were off limits for KOs. I think the rule was not specific enough for everyone to be on the same page. Different people made different assumptions.

I don't think it will make a huge impact on the outcome however, I sure dont want to re-draft again
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Great, it's tied 4/4/4. Looks like we'll have to call in the committee of 3 : )
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'd find it inconceivable to restart the draft, no matter which of the three options win. Whoever is on the wrong side of the assumption line will just need to adjust to the rule that wins. I do love the 4-4-4 tie.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Let's get to 5-5-5!!
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Nah. It'll go 5-5-4, then El Diablo will have to actually vote. And he'll pick between the two at 5 votes.

Comment

Working...
                              X