*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
    spreadsheet is updated through revo's rd 26 pick. Thanks to Johnny for making me input Neftali Feliz.
    Ah ... I forgot I imputed that manually. I'll copy paste it into my post.

Comment

• McMahon was taken by Hacko at 24.05
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Wasn't McMahon already taken?
        Looks like you might be right, by hacko in 24
        - in history thread: 24.05 Don McMahon P 1959

Doesn't effect SDS, but revo should hold
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Yep, 24.05.... I sent RR an email letting him know that a repick was needed.

But, really...I mean, c'mon people...wtf? How difficult is it to check the history thread and make sure a player han't been taken...wait...what? coughcoughMikeCuellarcough Nevermind...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Thanks SDS - changed my pick to Perranoski 1969

Sorry about the error fellas.

Comment

• Gimme a minute ... on the phone dealing with other peoples computer problems

By proxy to my uncle: "Tommy ... can you get Google on your computer?" ARRRGGHHH

Comment

• As of this moment, I have Revo and JohnnyA tied for the top spot.

That's close.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  As of this moment, I have Revo and JohnnyA tied for the top spot.

That's close.
                  With projections or as of right now (thru TFS's pick)?
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

As of this moment, I have Revo and JohnnyA tied for the top spot.

That's close.
                    I have Johnny pulling it out by 2 1/2 pts or so. I did have the race for 2nd closer, but that's since faded.

Comment

• Poking around on BR.com and was looking at the 1997 MVP voting.

11th Place: Charles Johnson, C, FLA: 43 R, 19 HR, 63 RBI, .250 BA
                      12th Place: Greg Maddux, P, ATL: 19-4, 2.20 ERA, 177 K, .946 WHIP (top pitcher in voting)

What kind of stupid crap is that?
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I have Johnny pulling it out by 2 1/2 pts or so. I did have the race for 2nd closer, but that's since faded.
                        So many picks in the last round or so have really boosted your total whereas Controller and I have not really budged ... in fact we've both crept back a bit. You have the "perfect storm" lineup this draft ... your totals seem to be right in the firing line, and when someone makes a slightly less than optimal pick, your total jumps

Nice problem to have

Comment

Poking around on BR.com and was looking at the 1997 MVP voting.

11th Place: Charles Johnson, C, FLA: 43 R, 19 HR, 63 RBI, .250 BA
                          12th Place: Greg Maddux, P, ATL: 19-4, 2.20 ERA, 177 K, .946 WHIP (top pitcher in voting)

What kind of stupid crap is that?
                          Add into the equation that this is a hitting dominated era, it's even more ridiculous. Imagine how Pedro or Maddux's performances would translate into numbers in a proper pitching era.

Comment

• johnny or anyone else care to weigh in on my strategy? Any picks that were not as optimal as they should have been?
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

johnny or anyone else care to weigh in on my strategy? Any picks that were not as optimal as they should have been?
                              I'll give you some in-depth thoughts when I get home. Your team looks good, solid, and maybe in another format you compete ... but at first glance I can spot that you picked 5 KO exempt decades in your first 10 picks. I was discussing with Revo earlier, and we both independently realized that this was not the optimal strategy. The three top teams (Revo, Controller, Johnny) went the other way and filled the non-exempt decades first, hoping that the exempt decades would hold their value better. I even ditched positional drafting in favour of non-exempt value ... which was worrying me a little bit for a while ... I only had one tough position filled in the first 13 rounds, and I didn't pick him (Hartnett) until the 9th.

Number of non-exempt decades in the early rounds:

Controller J: 0 in first 8 picks
                              Johnny: 1 in 12
                              Revo: 2 in 13
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM.

Comment

johnny or anyone else care to weigh in on my strategy? Any picks that were not as optimal as they should have been?
                                Yeah, as Johnny said, we had been speaking off-line the other day about how most missed the KO strategy this draft -- that the great decades would be decimated and the bad decades would be lifted by not having the KOs. Unfortunately that became plain to see when guys like Ben Chapman, Wally Berger, etc were being taken in what should have been an anchor hitting decade.

In addition, the 2010 decade was far stronger than everyone realized.

As far as some of your picks, I think you got enamored by great ERA/WHIP but low inning (and save) relievers -- kind of like the trap many fantasy leaguers fall into. Had you taken Doug Jones & Francisco Cordero, who had much worse ERA/WHIPs than your picks of Bryan Harvey/Jonathan Papelbon those same rounds, I think you gain about 8 points. Ultimately, the 600 or so great innings from those two do little to help your career ERA & WHIP.

Due to the KO strategy, I think taking Carl Hubbell in the 4th and Newhouser in the 8th proved to be miscues.

I think you also may have fallen into the same trap for BY saves and SBs -- you have solid career totals, but poor BY numbers.

Lastly, the "Darrell" combo of Evans + Strawberry really did a number on your career BA, taking you from 6th or 7th in the category to 2nd to last.

Comment

Working...
                                X