*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    But as such, I don't get the Drysdale KO since, as was the case I was making, no one was taking Drysdale for his 1960s BY anyway.
    Uh...really? If you say so. The KO did knock Drysdale out completely for me...maybe that's his plan.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• since we have a lot of rjelsers in here, here's my rjel team:
      18 team mixed, obp instead of avg:
      (k) = keeper

C G. Soto
      CI P. Konerko (k), D. Wright, D. Valencia, Ian Stewart
      MI JJ Hardy, G. Beckham, C. Barmes
      OF C. Gonzalez (k), G. Stanton (k), BJ Upton, D. Stubbs (k), C. Rasmus (k)

SP Jered Weaver, Yu Darvish, Gio Gonzalez (k), R. Romero (k), D. Fister (k), B. Cecil
      RP JJ Putz (k), K. Farnsworth (k), J. Broxton
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Some of the big-money players (based on my notes from the auction, so some may be off)

Pujols, Albert $60
        Votto, Joey $60
        Kemp, Matt $63
        Upton, Justin $56
        Braun, Ryan $57

Halladay, Roy $46
        Verlander, Justin $47
        Lee, Cliff $41
        Lincecum, Tim $41
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I came into the RJEL auction with only $103 dollars as I kept two big money guys anyway here is what I walked away with...

C Y. Molina K
          CI A. Beltre K, M Cabrera K, M Prado
          MI S Castro K, Asd Cabrera K, O Infante
          OF Del Young K, D Fowler K, C Maybin K, N Morgan, M Byrd
          UT P Polanco, B Abreu

SP J. Beckett K, Josh Johnson, E Bedard, J Danks, James McDonald
          RP Dave Robertson, Francisco Rodriguez, Brandon League K, Jose Valverde

I will have to gamble on some starting pitchers in the rsv draft, but I was low on money and liked getting $1 arms of Franky and Robertson.

Comment

• Yea, inflation was nuts for awhile at 50% whereas I calculated it to only be 25%. Here's what I ended up with

C Arencibia K
            CI Cuddyer Chipper Rodriguez
            MI Reyes K, Kipnis K, Scutaro
            OF Zobrist, Willingham, Brantley, Soriano, M Cabrera K
            UT Hafner K, Jay
            SP Price K, D Hudson K, Harrison K, Pineda K (+ Pomeranz in minors)
            RP Perez, Francisco, Ogando K, Aceves
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Mobile interface is up for anyone who has to use their mobile at work ...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                So where the hell is Long John? Are we going to have to start calling him Long McJohn?
                I think his live draft was this weekend

Comment

• So nursing a hangover then ...

Comment

• No, gents. Been working the last 2 days at this:

http://www.celebrationofthesuds.com/

Just got home an hour ago or so. Will get things moving again along with an updated spreadsheet. Then I'm going to go pass out for a few hours and catch up on some much needed sleep.
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      Uh...really? If you say so. The KO did knock Drysdale out completely for me...maybe that's his plan.
                      Yeah, you haven't done any decade drafts. Drysdale has never been taken with his 1960s BY in a decade draft.

Comment

• Pick is up. Spreadsheet is updated. Feral Slasher's turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          It humors me endlessly that folks think they're beer connoisseurs.
                          No dig taken, but what do you mean by that? What's the difference between someone who's a beer connoisseur and someone who thinks they are but is actually a fraud?

Comment

• Beer is absolutely personal. It's about how you perceive or taste the flavors of the beer. For obvious reasons, you will always be "right" for yourself.

However, the vast majority of the American public has a common perception that beer has one general flavor. It's something yellow and fizzy that should be enjoyed when you're done mowing the lawn or sitting at a sports bar with your friends. With few exceptions, the brands and beers that the American public associates with "beer" is one style: light lager. Maybe they've heard of ale. They know of this other different, dark thing called stout because that's what Guiness looks like.

The fact is that there are thousands of beers in the world and most of them are NOT light lagers. In fact, there are dozens of different styles. (The BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) recognizes 23 categories of styles. Each category has anywhere from 2-7 defined styles within that category.) And because beer is comprised of four basic ingredients (water, malt, hops, yeast), the potential for variety is very high because each of these ingredients can vary tremendously. The American public associates beer with a bitter, thin, highly carbonated drink that should be consumed as fast and as cold as possible. The fact of the matter is that beer can provide an incredible range of flavors from savory and sweet to sour and even salty. Beer should be enjoyed and savored.

I would consider myself a connoisseur of beer. I can tell you what beers I find to be excellent and what flavors I tend to enjoy in beer, but because beer is personal it should be up to you to decide what you like.

But I can also tell you that you could put six beers in front of me in unmarked glasses, I would be able to taste each and tell you the style at a pretty high percentage rate. And I can prove it:
                            http://www.cicerone.org/certified/ci...page=4&ipp=50&.
                            Click the "Home" link in the upper left to learn more about what this certification means.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Yeah, you haven't done any decade drafts. Drysdale has never been taken with his 1960s BY in a decade draft.
                              While that might be true, his best two years are in the 1960s.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                While that might be true, his best two years are in the 1960s.
                                Yes, and King Kelly's best years are easily in the 1880s, but he'll always get drafted with 1879 as his BY. The 1950s for pitchers are brutal, so if you can get a pitcher with Drysdale's great career numbers and a solid BY in the 1950s, you'll take it.

That being said, Drysdale almost assuredly will get drafted where he usually does in these decade drafts, and as such, the KO was kinda useless.

Comment

Working...
                                X