*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I think people are pretty well aware of the fact that there are tons of other kinds of beers out there. It's just that Americans tend to find other kinds of beer gross.
    Not true. It's more to the fact that they haven't tried it. Heck, American craft beer, in all its glory now, is only 5% of the US beer market.

Anyways, you lose me as soon as you start talking about pairing beers (or wine) with food as part of some certification. I've worked in tons of fine dining establishments and high end bars and I just think this is generally some sort of self-congratulatory jerkoff. If you like a Guiness with your linguine, knock yourself out. A white Chard goes no better with a pasta dish than does a Blonde Ale. It's all personal taste!
    The Cicerone Certification does have some aspects of food pairing involved, but it's predominantly about proper service and style knowledge - things like knowing when a glass is "beer clean" (yes, that's a real term), how to properly clean draft lines, an appropriate pour based on style, detecting flaws in beers caused by either the brewing process or the serving process, etc.

While it depends on the establishment, the food pairing end is not self-congratulatory at all though. Your food and your beer will taste different if you have them together versus separately. You can test it yourself. Just keep in mind that the colder the beer is, the less likely you are to smell and taste the flavors. Nine times out of ten when I get a draft beer, I have to sit around for a bit and use my hands to warm the glass. Different beers will draw different flavors out of the food.

Places that suggest food/beer or food/wine pairings are obviously doing it sell more of both products, but it's not in their best interest for them to make a poor pairing. By doing this, they want word of mouth to spread about the experience and draw in other customers for the same.
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• All this beer talk is making me want to drink again...just to numb the regret of reading all these posts.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I think the best thing about KO's is that if you are not sure between two players ... if you pick one and KO the other, you don't have the frustration of seeing the other one still hanging around 5 rounds later.

I still have no clue how to use them best. I kinda liked taking Bender from the 00's and 10's, and putting the 1910's out on the ledge (though not over the cliff yet) with the Smokey Joe KO. I remember one draft I picked Hoffman and a J hitter early and then decided to target J closers. I don't really know if it had any effect ... probably not.

Comment

• I thought about KO'ing Schilling in-between rounds. Nice pick ... especially with the number of K's that have been exterminated.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• for frae + revo:
            I'm waiting until 1:00 PM EST to make my rjel reserve pick, unless Bronx Bombers goes first.

That's based on these posts:
            - 3/31 10:55 pm - "It'll be a 6 hour clock, suspended between midnight and 8am CST."
            - 4/1 6:39 pm - "OK, after Brad makes his choice, we'll go to a 4 hour clock."
            - 4/2 1:46 am - "Drew Smyly, P DET"
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I thought about KO'ing Schilling in-between rounds. Nice pick ... especially with the number of K's that have been exterminated.
              yeah, that's the reason I selected him. His solid career WHIP plus those Ks make him attractive at this stage. I usually dislike using the later decades for starting pitchers, but the career K market is minute at this moment.

Comment

• I almost KO'd Ward or Sweeney
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I almost KO'd Ward or Sweeney
                  Phew...well, I got 'em both for you
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Yeah, you haven't done any decade drafts. Drysdale has never been taken with his 1960s BY in a decade draft.
                    I should have paid better attention, but JC did take 1964 in VD23
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      I should have paid better attention, but JC did take 1964 in VD23
                      Looks like he went at 1964 in a decade draft too - VD 17, though it was to ez...
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• LJ, know anything about this?

or is that a small potatoes type of thing? I have some friends invite me out. Sadly, I'm one of those people that dislikes anything other than light lagers.

Comment

LJ, know anything about this?

or is that a small potatoes type of thing? I have some friends invite me out. Sadly, I'm one of those people that dislikes anything other than light lagers.
                          God damn that is one ugly website!

Comment

• Beer doesn't taste good enough to drink just one.

Comment

• Bagwell wasn't really on the radar until I had a fresh look at things: Thomas, Palmeiro, Bagwell and Helton gone in 2 picks

Comment

LJ, know anything about this?

Nah. My company only covers NJ, so that's all we deal with.
                                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                                X