Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    Exactly!
    I on the other hand can often be heard bragging about how poorly I brag. The younger generation inform me this is known as a "humble brag".

Comment

• Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
      I on the other hand can often be heard bragging about how poorly I brag. The younger generation inform me this is known as a "humble brag".
      And now you're humble bragging about humble bragging. Where will this madness end?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        I'm okay with "My pick was great" Less so with... "I had a much better pick for you than you did"
        The funny thing about it is when they are just flat out wrong though. Based on my valuations, there are 183 pitcher-years between Quisenberry and the "mystery" player. Funny to see someone call out a bad pick when in reality they are off so much in their own valuations. I just laugh it off as the misplaced bravado that it is.

** giving you a hard time Adam. Hopefully you can take it as well as you dish it!
        Last edited by Ken; 06-09-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Now with the extra QUIZ, I wonder when the next QUIZY guys will go. Usually, there is a break between the first seven and the rest. I wonder what happens now.
          Well that didn't take long.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Ben Zobrist's mom would be so proud that he went in Rd 3!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              The funny thing about it is when they are just flat out wrong though. Based on my valuations, there are 183 pitcher-years between Quisenberry and the "mystery" player. Funny to see someone call out a bad pick when in reality they are off so much in their own valuations. I just laugh it off as the misplaced bravado that it is.

** giving you a hard time Adam. Hopefully you can take it as well as you dish it!
              No problems or hard feelings whatsoever---any delay in my replies is because of doing interviews at work on and off all day. (Yes, I have the silly work from home attire of gym shorts and a nice shirt on.)

And I don't doubt there is a huge number of pitchers between Quisenberry and the mystery pitcher (maybe we can keep coming up with silly names for him and make that a thing this commentary thread)--hell, I may have overdrafted him. I also don't doubt that many disagree with my theory---people keep drafting Quis/Izzy/and Ugi early, after all. But that's the question with any pick--is taking this guy better than the guy I would get later at a similar letter/franchise (decade last draft) more than any other guy I could take right now. My theory is that the QUIZ players (not QUIZY---the top Y's are just much better and they go earlier) just aren't good enough over a blank that you would get at the end than other players you could get early are over the guys you could get at a similar letter and franchise (or decade last draft) later. Not sure. Don't think there is a way to objectively prove it because you would have to know what will be left at the end, which you can't early on.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Not to mention Heyelander wondering if he's just chopped liver.

Comment

• And sorry, one of said interviews is now, so my pick will be delayed about half an hour.

Comment

No problems or hard feelings whatsoever---any delay in my replies is because of doing interviews at work on and off all day. (Yes, I have the silly work from home attire of gym shorts and a nice shirt on.)

And I don't doubt there is a huge number of pitchers between Quisenberry and the mystery pitcher (maybe we can keep coming up with silly names for him and make that a thing this commentary thread)--hell, I may have overdrafted him. I also don't doubt that many disagree with my theory---people keep drafting Quis/Izzy/and Ugi early, after all. But that's the question with any pick--is taking this guy better than the guy I would get later at a similar letter/franchise (decade last draft) more than any other guy I could take right now. My theory is that the QUIZ players (not QUIZY---the top Y's are just much better and they go earlier) just aren't good enough over a blank that you would get at the end than other players you could get early are over the guys you could get at a similar letter and franchise (or decade last draft) later. Not sure. Don't think there is a way to objectively prove it because you would have to know what will be left at the end, which you can't early on.
                    I take the opposite approach - I try to identify a replacement level player - knowing full well that I will not likely hit exactly the last player picked. But it's close enough. And then I use the objective analysis to compare. I do this across letters, across franchises, across positions, across eras. Some of them are small enough to disregard. And obviously the crossover isn't perfectly accounted for.

But I would say that yes, you can objectively measure this if you take into account some assumptions which are "close".

Comment

• The last time we drafted in this format, Quiz was taken 9th overall. It was ezeagle's pick, though, so....
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Ugueth got taken 13th overall and Isringhausen 26th.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          The last time we drafted in this format, Quiz was taken 9th overall. It was ezeagle's pick, though, so....
                          Do you have VDXIII or do you mean VDV?

Comment

• Clear your PMs, Moonlight Johnny.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              do you have vdxiii or do you mean vdv?
                              xiii

Comment

• Just a heads-up: I am returning to in-person work tomorrow, so starting then, if my spot comes up mid-day I may be delayed til I get home in the evening. I expect to be able to select before going to bed at night, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X