No announcement yet.

*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other fun things to watch out for as the draft goes on: can I manage to end up tanking speed after taking Billy Hamilton in Round 2? Can Ken end up tanking power after taking Bonds? Funny how both of us are so compensating for those picks. Then again, my hitting has mostly been getting rid of letters and positions, so I am pretty much tanking hitting altogether so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      Other fun things to watch out for as the draft goes on: can I manage to end up tanking speed after taking Billy Hamilton in Round 2? Can Ken end up tanking power after taking Bonds? Funny how both of us are so compensating for those picks. Then again, my hitting has mostly been getting rid of letters and positions, so I am pretty much tanking hitting altogether so far.
      It’s still early I think....

Comment

If it is, it was before your pick, too. Hell, there is an argument that L is just a pit of lots of mediocrity after Lajoie is taken. I was keying on him for my second round pick, but he went #8 overall. So much for that plan.
        Skip L at your own risk....dont say u wern't warned
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• pretty clear now that Lyle is pushing me over the edge....I'm walking away with this one unless you guys find some hidden gems in the L pile
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Well, dammit DMT. It is hard enough to play it straight forward and try to compete in every category, but now you go and use a wild card to take the rip cord for single season ratios away from everyone else. He wasn't anywhere near my radar yet, but he was in a ton of my scenarios---he fixes all that ails best year ratios. Nobody like him. Nice pick!

Comment

Well, dammit DMT. It is hard enough to play it straight forward and try to compete in every category, but now you go and use a wild card to take the rip cord for single season ratios away from everyone else. He wasn't anywhere near my radar yet, but he was in a ton of my scenarios---he fixes all that ails best year ratios. Nobody like him. Nice pick!
              I heard that the Scorpions wrote a song about him.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well, dammit DMT. It is hard enough to play it straight forward and try to compete in every category, but now you go and use a wild card to take the rip cord for single season ratios away from everyone else. He wasn't anywhere near my radar yet, but he was in a ton of my scenarios---he fixes all that ails best year ratios. Nobody like him. Nice pick!
                I'm sensing a pattern...
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I'm sensing a pattern...
                  Yes! I don't want good players I can still take taken. It will continue.

Comment

Yes! I don't want good players I can still take taken. It will continue.
                    Start going for bad players, it will make you happier.

Comment

• Downloaded the most recent spreadsheet and my problems are solved! Had to re-input my formulas which is always kind of a chore but.....

Holy crap the hit_comb and pit_comb sheets are amazing!!!! I swear, if I'd have used these things all along I'd be undefeated. Well, maybe not that but having rankings like that is just fantastic. Thanks for the work on that, Johnny! How long has that been in the sheet?
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• We should just start up a brand new VD right now and call this current one a practice round. I think I'm ready now.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Downloaded the most recent spreadsheet and my problems are solved! Had to re-input my formulas which is always kind of a chore but.....

Holy crap the hit_comb and pit_comb sheets are amazing!!!! I swear, if I'd have used these things all along I'd be undefeated. Well, maybe not that but having rankings like that is just fantastic. Thanks for the work on that, Johnny! How long has that been in the sheet?
                          I will have to look. Did not know about this
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Downloaded the most recent spreadsheet and my problems are solved! Had to re-input my formulas which is always kind of a chore but.....

The last 2 or 3 drafts at least.

The black tabs are my creation (Snapshot, hit_comb, pit_comb). The rest is original copyrighted Kevin Seitzer (apart from the flourishes on the Rounds sheet).

Glad someone is making use of them. I have to re-remember how to build those pages every time I compile the spreadsheet. If you do it right, you should be able to copy paste your formulas from one draft to the next.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 04-21-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

We should just start up a brand new VD right now and call this current one a practice round. I think I'm ready now.
                              I would be up for a single or multiple decade VD.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                I would be up for a single or multiple decade VD.
                                I will hopefully have Franchises ported over to the Spreadsheet by the end of this draft.

I have all the player-year-franchise data sorted on a sheet. I just need to find a way to collate it so that each players franchise eligibility is clear and sortable. And I can't think of an elegant way to do it ... without brute forcing a column/row grid. My hack excel skills meet a wall when confronted by these tasks. Let's just say, my solutions tend to be "creative"

Franchises and Decades will be next.

Comment

Working...
                                X