*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I thought of a concept for a new type of vintage franchise draft. I don't know if it's workable, but it seemed interesting enough to share.

Snake draft order
    Each drafter picks a "primary" franchise from which they will draft their team - the player they draft in the first round determines their primary franchise (can't duplicate primary franchises - I think that's a good restriction)
    You pick players from your franchise unless you choose to steal from another franchise (no restriction on which franchise you can steal from, can repeat)
    You cannot steal with two picks in a row (at least one of them has to be from your primary franchise)

You would end up with at least half of your players from your primary franchise.

I don't know whether that would be completely unbalanced. Obviously the Yankees franchise would be desirable, but if people are constantly stealing from your franchise, maybe it would all balance out? I don't know. And I don't even know how I would gameplan such a draft, which is part of what makes it intriguing.
    I would give it a go.

Comment

I am aware that it is my pick. I'm not sure who I want to take, but I'll try to figure that out shortly.
      Shane Halter!!!!

Comment

• OK I'm in 3rd place after 15 rounds, I wonder if I have a shot of not being last this time.

Comment

• Trivia:
          Bond broke Aaron career HR record.
          Aaron broke Ruth
          Who did Ruth break.....

Roger Conner

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
            Trivia:
            Bond broke Aaron career HR record.
            Aaron broke Ruth
            Who did Ruth break.....

Roger Conner
            Similar question right back at ya - but with RBI

Aaron broke Ruth's career RBI record
            Who did Ruth break?

Comment

• ugggh....it's getting really hard to decide on anything
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                ugggh....it's getting really hard to decide on anything
                I think you chose wisely, Gagne was my next pick - you've taken my next pick both times since I drafted last.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I think you chose wisely, Gagne was my next pick - you've taken my next pick both times since I drafted last.
                  payback for Shoeless Joe
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Similar question right back at ya - but with RBI

Aaron broke Ruth's career RBI record
                    Who did Ruth break?
                    It’s got to be Cap Anson. Right?

Comment

ugggh....it's getting really hard to decide on anything
                      Yep. Figured that I had Downing slated as my C2 for so long, I may as well take him now before I had to go with Plan B (which was, who knows?)

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                        It’s got to be Cap Anson. Right?
                        Correctamundo

Comment

I thought of a concept for a new type of vintage franchise draft. I don't know if it's workable, but it seemed interesting enough to share.

Snake draft order
                          Each drafter picks a "primary" franchise from which they will draft their team - the player they draft in the first round determines their primary franchise (can't duplicate primary franchises - I think that's a good restriction)
                          You pick players from your franchise unless you choose to steal from another franchise (no restriction on which franchise you can steal from, can repeat)
                          You cannot steal with two picks in a row (at least one of them has to be from your primary franchise)

You would end up with at least half of your players from your primary franchise.

I don't know whether that would be completely unbalanced. Obviously the Yankees franchise would be desirable, but if people are constantly stealing from your franchise, maybe it would all balance out? I don't know. And I don't even know how I would gameplan such a draft, which is part of what makes it intriguing.
                          I like that we are starting to creatively think about ways to improve and change VD ... it will get boring (like before) if we just keep with Letter Decade Letter Decade etc etc

So we need more like this, as a trigger for discussion. I certainly want to use Franchises more than we do.

That said, RIP anyone who doesn't get the Yankees or Giants ... this is like the added value of the Big 4 (Train, Babe, Ty, Cy) extending for the entire draft, rather than just Round 1

I think you're mining in interesting territory though. We need to Dig More, Bemoan Less!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            I like that we are starting to creatively think about ways to improve and change VD ... it will get boring (like before) if we just keep with Letter Decade Letter Decade etc etc

So we need more like this, as a trigger for discussion. I certainly want to use Franchises more than we do.

That said, RIP anyone who doesn't get the Yankees or Giants ... this is like the added value of the Big 4 (Train, Babe, Ty, Cy) extending for the entire draft, rather than just Round 1

I think you're mining in interesting territory though. We need to Dig More, Bemoan Less!
                            We could do a snake draft of franchises to start the draft. So if you get the yankees you also get the Marlins. Clearly I haven't thought this all the way thru
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We could do a snake draft of franchises to start the draft. So if you get the yankees you also get the Marlins. Clearly I haven't thought this all the way thru
                              i think johnny's right, franchises are too lop-sided.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I think the only way to make franchises work is likely to remove certain players from the pool entirely.

Comment

Working...
                                X