*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I kinda wish I was a billionaire...and also kinda thankful I am not. I suspect riches tend to chip away at the best part of what makes us humans.....deep thots, lol
    I work directly for a billionaire, and I see a lot of the negative aspects, but at the same time he gives away millions of dollars every year (not talking about tax writeoffs). Our stated company goal is to make money so that we can donate it. We run college courses that teach kids how to incorporate charity into their life plans and we fund those courses with millions of dollars so that they can start giving it away immediately. The 2nd largest department in our company is the charity group that is in charge of giving away money.

So while I understand the frustration, and see some of it first hand, I see another side of it too. Like all walks of life there are good people and terrible people.
    Last edited by Ken; 07-21-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I kinda wish I was a billionaire...and also kinda thankful I am not. I suspect riches tend to chip away at the best part of our humanity....deep thots, lol
      I'd give it a shot.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        we fund those courses with millions of dollars so that they can start giving it away immediately
        Big fan of giving away money immediately. Malcom Gladwell had a good episode on Revisionist History talking about endowments to big Universities and how they were a waste. he juxtiposed it with the guy (Rowan) who gave a $100million to Glassboro State University in NJ (renamed Rowan not on his request) and how it transformed the entire school, benefiting thousands of students every year. He said that was a much better model for charity than giving Stanford 100 million more dollars to sit on and collect interest going toward 1 or 2 faculty chairs a year.

On a smaller scale, there are people at my mom's church that want to start an endowment program... because it sounds cool to have an endowment? No church should have money just sitting around when it could immediately go out the door to help people. You're a church, not a fuckin' bank.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I work directly for a billionaire, and I see a lot of the negative aspects, but at the same time he gives away millions of dollars every year (not talking about tax writeoffs). Our stated company goal is to make money so that we can donate it. We run college courses that teach kids how to incorporate charity into their life plans and we fund those courses with millions of dollars so that they can start giving it away immediately. The 2nd largest department in our company is the charity group that is in charge of giving away money.

So while I understand the frustration, and see some of it first hand, I see another side of it too. Like all walks of life there are good people and terrible people.
          i wasn't even trying to make a comment about billionaires being bad people (not in this post anyway, lol)...more a question of what that kind of wealth would do to me, and if it would be good. People can certainly do good with lots of money. I have several friends who are what I would consider wealthy, and it's probably just multi-millions, not billions....and I see the stuff they worry about and what there new "needs" are. I think money, like power, just tends to change people and what they focus on. I'm sure I would not be immune to that.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Big fan of giving away money immediately. Malcom Gladwell had a good episode on Revisionist History talking about endowments to big Universities and how they were a waste. he juxtiposed it with the guy (Rowan) who gave a $100million to Glassboro State University in NJ (renamed Rowan not on his request) and how it transformed the entire school, benefiting thousands of students every year. He said that was a much better model for charity than giving Stanford 100 million more dollars to sit on and collect interest going toward 1 or 2 faculty chairs a year.

On a smaller scale, there are people at my mom's church that want to start an endowment program... because it sounds cool to have an endowment? No church should have money just sitting around when it could immediately go out the door to help people. You're a church, not a fuckin' bank.
            I've seen several articles about how the big endowments area just a scam...billions of dollars available, but won't pay kitchen staff a living wage, etc.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              I'd give it a shot.
              I have an opportunity for u....send me a PM
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have an opportunity for u....send me a PM
                Unable to the send PM, the Nigerian Prince's inbox is full.

Comment

• No worries...just post your account info here and I will take care of it !
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Jo Adell....future superstar or overhyped bust ? Discuss.....
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Jo Adell....future superstar or overhyped bust ? Discuss.....
                      only 22, putting up good numbers in AAA...but who doesn't ?
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

only 22, putting up good numbers in AAA...but who doesn't ?
                        Probably a bit early to be drafting him in VD

Comment

Probably a bit early to be drafting him in VD
                          sure....but what about regular fantasy BB ?
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

sure....but what about regular fantasy BB ?
                            Power seems legit, can't take a walk, speed kinda questionable. He's not someone I would target and I would be looking to sell, personally. Of course, I'll be the first to admit my bias against players who can't take a walk, usually to my detriment.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• who was the first MLB player with 300 total bases ? 399? 400? Don't cheat

Baseball Almanac researches the total bases leaders, year-by-year for each season in major league history.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

who was the first MLB player with 300 total bases ? 399? 400? Don't cheat

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hitotb4.shtml
                                I remember Jim Rice topping 400...damn impressive
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X