*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Thanks for asking. My dad came home from the hospital five days ago. He's using the walker to get around the house but in wheelchair for anything more than that. I'm mostly concerned that my mom not do too much to try to take care of him. They have a home health aide who is coming by occasionally, so hopefully that helps.

We're going to go into quarantine at the end of this week, and then go visit them after Christmas. I'm thinking I may not have many more Christmases with my dad around, if any, which is weird thought. He and I are not particularly close, but it is still strange to think about.
    last Christmas was my last one with my dad. With Covid I didn't see him and my mom inside and only saw him outside since February. This summer we played croquet and had picnics. He bought some property overlooking the Columbia River and we would meet to work on clearing the land or whatever he wanted to do. He was 88 but still had to bring his chainsaw and cut down trees. Two months ago, my brother called me late on a Friday night to tell me he had an apparent stroke and was paralyzed on his right hand side. It turned out to be a brain tumor that spread thru his entire body hitting pretty much every organ. He came home and we took care of him the last two weeks of his life. He always hated baseball, but we watched the world series and he let me explain everything to him. It was so much fun. He was barely conscious by the last game and passed away on October 29th.

We had almost two weeks to spend with him and hear what he had to say, and take care of him, and let him know how much we loved and appreciated him. I'm so thankful for that. Some people don't have a chance to say goodbye. If you do have a chance, don't let it go. You never know when it is your last chance.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      last Christmas was my last one with my dad. With Covid I didn't see him and my mom inside and only saw him outside since February. This summer we played croquet and had picnics. He bought some property overlooking the Columbia River and we would meet to work on clearing the land or whatever he wanted to do. He was 88 but still had to bring his chainsaw and cut down trees. Two months ago, my brother called me late on a Friday night to tell me he had an apparent stroke and was paralyzed on his right hand side. It turned out to be a brain tumor that spread thru his entire body hitting pretty much every organ. He came home and we took care of him the last two weeks of his life. He always hated baseball, but we watched the world series and he let me explain everything to him. It was so much fun. He was barely conscious by the last game and passed away on October 29th.

We had almost two weeks to spend with him and hear what he had to say, and take care of him, and let him know how much we loved and appreciated him. I'm so thankful for that. Some people don't have a chance to say goodbye. If you do have a chance, don't let it go. You never know when it is your last chance.
      Don't mean to lecture or be preaching at everyone if that is how this comes across...just want people to take the opportunity to communicate if they have a chance. I was so thankful that I had some time with my dad
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Don't mean to lecture or be preaching at everyone if that is how this comes across...just want people to take the opportunity to communicate if they have a chance. I was so thankful that I had some time with my dad
        I don't really know how to communicate with my dad. We can be cordial and respectful with each other, but there is not a deep emotional connection there. One of the sad things of him getting older is me having to realize that's never going to happen. My dad has never approved of anything I've done. He didn't approve of where I went to college, he doesn't approve of my career choices, he doesn't approve of my choice of a spouse. I don't know if he's ever talked to my wife in the 18 years we've been married. I've had to learn some tough lessons over the past 5-10 years about not seeking my self esteem from alternate father figures. It's been really good to learn that but also really tough.

So I don't know whether I would regret not spending time with him if I had the chance, but we're going to see them anyway. I know I won't have the chance to do it after he's gone. So. And also I want my children to know their grandpa. I never knew either of my grandfathers. My mom's dad died when she was a teenager and my dad's dad died when I was one year old.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I don't really know how to communicate with my dad. We can be cordial and respectful with each other, but there is not a deep emotional connection there. One of the sad things of him getting older is me having to realize that's never going to happen. My dad has never approved of anything I've done. He didn't approve of where I went to college, he doesn't approve of my career choices, he doesn't approve of my choice of a spouse. I don't know if he's ever talked to my wife in the 18 years we've been married. I've had to learn some tough lessons over the past 5-10 years about not seeking my self esteem from alternate father figures. It's been really good to learn that but also really tough.

So I don't know whether I would regret not spending time with him if I had the chance, but we're going to see them anyway. I know I won't have the chance to do it after he's gone. So. And also I want my children to know their grandpa. I never knew either of my grandfathers. My mom's dad died when she was a teenager and my dad's dad died when I was one year old.
          my dad was also very particular about people he "approved". He only respected people who were educated and understood and appreciated science..he approved of my choices (engineer working in scientific field), but my nephew who didn't go to college really struggled to have a relationship with him. He never appreciated non scientific work or people who were not well educated. Until his last days, and then he finally understood the importance of empathy and people who care for others. It was pretty amazing to see how much he appreciated the care he received from the nurses and social workers in the hospital and during his hospice at home. I sure appreciate them, now more then ever.

Thinking about it, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to not have the support and approval of a parent. a good reminder as a parent.
          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 12-16-2020, 08:21 PM.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            that sounds damn tasty on a wrap.
            I can neither confirm nor deny
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• "The Feral Slasher has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Shouldn't the error message say "reached" instead of "exceeded"?
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

"The Feral Slasher has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Shouldn't the error message say "reached" instead of "exceeded"?
                No, the actual quota is half.

Comment

• The Feral Slasher's stored private messages have reached the summit of their allocation, well beyond the half way point that was expected, and further messages will fall into a fumarole until they clear some space.

Comment

• Limited space available...dont wait, act now !!!!
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Limited space available...dont wait, act now !!!!
                      Those commercials always confused me. Primarily because of my stage fright.

Comment

Limited space available...dont wait, act now !!!!
                        That's a lot of pressure. I'm not sure my message was worth it.

Comment

That's a lot of pressure. I'm not sure my message was worth it.
                          Now limiteder space !!!
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I have 94 messages stored. I don't really know why.

Comment

I have 94 messages stored. I don't really know why.
                              I actually haf a message from someone I have on my ignorr list...they asked if I wanted to be a co-owner with them
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I actually haf a message from someone I have on my ignorr list...they asked if I wanted to be a co-owner with them
                                What did you say ?

Comment

Working...
                                X