*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I personally don't think we can realistically do a "left over" draft ... which was suggested earlier. Thin pickings left. But I guess that is still on the cards, so that's still a maybe.

Assuming we don't want to repeat these last 2 drafts ... some other options:

- Franchise Draft ... they were fun (if we can find the old Franchise rules)

- We were doing period drafts last time around ... we did the vintage era (up to 1920) and the middle era (1920 - 1980 I think) ... but we never finished this sequence by doing a "Modern Era" draft

- Combo draft ... Letters and Decades ... not sure it would be wise to do a combo draft with Franchises until we have done a straight up Franchise draft.

- Also remember that we have never done the mother of all drafts - the Letter, Decade and Franchise combo draft ... maybe this time we can build up to that?
    I think we did modern and mid, but no vintage period draft
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Standings through 24 rounds:

Code:
      x	Team      	CH	CP	BYH	BYP	Multi	Place
      .01	Frae______	45.5	33.0	42.8	44.6	165.869	8
      .02	ElDiablo__	48.7	32.3	48.6	39.3	168.911	3
      .03	Revo_____	41.4	39.1	52.0	40.2	172.606	1
      .04	Long John	38.6	36.8	37.8	42.9	156.093	9
      .05	Heyelander	29.8	52.2	34.8	37.7	154.487	11
      .06	JohnnyA__	44.5	46.9	34.4	46.6	172.397	2
      .07	Hacko____	51.8	36.6	49.9	30.5	168.830	4
      .08	mjl_______	46.1	34.9	40.5	33.0	154.608	10
      .09	TS Garp__	41.3	37.6	40.8	46.6	166.260	7
      .10	DMT_____	45.7	43.8	39.6	38.7	167.739	6
      .11	Controller_	31.8	45.5	24.6	41.3	143.156	12
      .12	Feral Slash	24.5	51.1	44.0	48.3	167.941	5
      ETA update on hitting position needs:
      LJ needs a MI
      heye needs a MI
      Johnny needs a C and a MI
      DMT needs a MI
      CJ needs a C and an OF
      Feral needs a CI
      All other hitters needed are UT.
      Last edited by Long John; 12-01-2015, 08:42 PM.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I thought the franchise draft was fun, and it would be a nice set-up for the super duper triple-decker.
        I didn't do the last franchise draft. Would be in for that and setting up the SDTD. (DMT, you should see a doctor about that SDTD. It could be contagious.)
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Man, this is a tough draft. Seems to me that the folks at the end of this one --- CJ, DMT, FS, etc. --- will have an enormous advantage picking at the very end. Could be wrong, though.
          I hope you are right, but I think I pretty much know who I'll get at this point. I'd much rather have one of the first 3 or 4 picks. Drafting near the end saved me once, I think I tried 50 pitchers or so until I found the only one who gave me a lead.
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Funny, I was going to take Glasscock as my 1870s hitter. Tough name, that Glasscock.

Comment

• Regarding Revo's pick ...

Are we still using B-R.com updates to player stats?

I thought it was decided that we would just use the latest Lahman database as our stats bible. Lahman will eventually be updated with any new data. This way we avoid the annoyance and inconsistencies when BR.com do a stats purge, and update lots of players.

Comment

• I'll hold off on picking until this is resolved. Unfortunately this isn't one of those "doesn't really matter" decisions.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a "king-making" decision, but it could make things close at the top with the player who is/was the clear favourite to win.
                Last edited by johnnya24; 12-02-2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

• I was under the impression that we were going by the spreadsheet but am fine either way.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I had no idea that was the case for this draft, and it obviously affects my pick -- and perhaps others since I had wrote that Glasscock was under serious consideration. So let's come to a consensus?

Comment

• Has anyone changed their draft because they assumed the Lahman db was boss?

Wouldn't be me, I'm way to lazy to search for discrepancies.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I had no idea that was the case for this draft, and it obviously affects my pick -- and perhaps others since I had wrote that Glasscock was under serious consideration. So let's come to a consensus?
                        I don't think Glasscock would have been the right alternative. Anyway, pretty sure I already screwed your draft by picking Fernando Rodney

Most of these types of decision tend to have little or no impact on the overall draft. Since this will possibly have an impact on the order of the top 3/4, and could still have an impact on the winner, we can either set up a poll or (drum roll) activate rule 8 (for the first time?):

"8. If any ambiguity is discovered in the rules, the ambiguity will be resolved by the committee of three as determined in the VD XVIII discussion thread. Their decisions are binding and final."

... but my preference would be a poll ... asking people to potentially decide the winner of the draft seems unfair.
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 12-02-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                          Has anyone changed their draft because they assumed the Lahman db was boss?

Wouldn't be me, I'm way to lazy to search for discrepancies.
                          I didn't want to repeat last draft when we had to make dozens of updates to the SS as the draft progressed because of BR.com. Total pain ... as well as the other point, that having a fixed stat sheet creates a more even playing field for participants who can't devote time to finding the stat exploits.

Comment

• I have to bail for a while, so I'll let people chime in for now ... my picks are basically locked, but picking out of turn at this stage isn't good for anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              I don't think Glasscock would have been the right alternative. Anyway, pretty sure I already screwed your draft by picking Fernando Rodney

Most of these types of decision tend to have little or no impact on the overall draft. Since this will possibly have an impact on the order of the top 3/4, and could still have an impact on the winner, we can either set up a poll or (drum roll) activate rule 8 (for the first time?):

"8. If any ambiguity is discovered in the rules, the ambiguity will be resolved by the committee of three as determined in the VD XVIII discussion thread. Their decisions are binding and final."

... but my preference would be a poll ... asking people to potentially decide the winner of the draft seems unfair.
                              Oy vey, I'll just change the pick.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                                Standings through 24 rounds:

Code:
                                x    Team          CH    CP    BYH    BYP    Multi    Place
                                .01    Frae______    45.5    33.0    42.8    44.6    165.869    8
                                .02    ElDiablo__    48.7    32.3    48.6    39.3    168.911    3
                                .03    Revo_____    41.4    39.1    52.0    40.2    172.606    1
                                .04    Long John    38.6    36.8    37.8    42.9    156.093    9
                                .05    Heyelander    29.8    52.2    34.8    37.7    154.487    11
                                .06    JohnnyA__    44.5    46.9    34.4    46.6    172.397    2
                                .07    Hacko____    51.8    36.6    49.9    30.5    168.830    4
                                .08    mjl_______    46.1    34.9    40.5    33.0    154.608    10
                                .09    TS Garp__    41.3    37.6    40.8    46.6    166.260    7
                                .10    DMT_____    45.7    43.8    39.6    38.7    167.739    6
                                .11    Controller_    31.8    45.5    24.6    41.3    143.156    12
                                .12    Feral Slash    24.5    51.1    44.0    48.3    167.941    5
                                ETA update on hitting position needs:
                                LJ needs a MI
                                heye needs a MI
                                Johnny needs a C and a MI
                                DMT needs a MI
                                CJ needs a C and an OF
                                Feral needs a CI
                                All other hitters needed are UT.
                                DMT has A-Rod, Gehringer and Jennings ... so he doesn't need a MI

Comment

Working...
                                X