*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Thread and SS updated.

Not keen to release the beta of the SS until we have an updated stats sheet. Trying to avoid another situation like previous drafts, with some people using old sheets with errors, not realizing there have been changes until it's too late.

TIP:

For those who want something to look at while making their picks, you can download the VD9 sheet, delete the VD data from the Rounds sheet, and use that temporarily. The Snapshot page should work OK ... I know that's the page I reference most. It should be fine for the first few rounds anyway.

All the copy paste data for the "Rounds" sheet is in the history thread.

Both drafts had 12 participants ... so that's why it will tally quite well.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 10-28-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      So we're all singing from the same hymnbook, I'll post the hitting and pitching stats sheets that need to be merged for the Career sheets. They contain all the pitching and hitting BY's from 1871 to 2014.

I will get rid of the non-eligible BY's for the BY sheet.

I also think it might be wise to shift away from baseball-reference when it comes to stat verification. It might be easier just to say that whatever is in latest Lahman sheet is gospel. I'm guessing any changes that the B-R boffins discover will eventually find their way to the Lahman sheet anyway.

2014 Pitching Complete

2014 Hitting Complete

If someone could merge the playerid's into a career sheet, that'd be appreciated.
      Bump ... don't want to bury this.

Comment

• just saw that I'm up. will pick in a few hours.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

So we're all singing from the same hymnbook, I'll post the hitting and pitching stats sheets that need to be merged for the Career sheets. They contain all the pitching and hitting BY's from 1871 to 2014.

I also think it might be wise to shift away from baseball-reference when it comes to stat verification. It might be easier just to say that whatever is in latest Lahman sheet is gospel. I'm guessing any changes that the B-R boffins discover will eventually find their way to the Lahman sheet anyway.

2014 Pitching Complete

2014 Hitting Complete

If someone could merge the playerid's into a career sheet, that'd be appreciated.
          apparently we are bumping this every other post.

Just trying to help out.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

History Thread and SS updated.

Not keen to release the beta of the SS until we have an updated stats sheet. Trying to avoid another situation like previous drafts, with some people using old sheets with errors, not realizing there have been changes until it's too late.

TIP:

For those who want something to look at while making their picks, you can download the VD9 sheet, delete the VD data from the Rounds sheet, and use that temporarily. The Snapshot page should work OK ... I know that's the page I reference most. It should be fine for the first few rounds anyway.

All the copy paste data for the "Rounds" sheet is in the history thread.

Both drafts had 12 participants ... so that's why it will tally quite well.
            Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Bump ... don't want to bury this.
            Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

2014 Pitching Complete

2014 Hitting Complete

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            apparently we are bumping this every other post.

Just trying to help out.
            If you're gonna bump it, bump it right!

Comment

• I just deleted about 60000 records for non-elibible Batting BY's. There are still 37538 eligible BY's left.

The VD 9 SS contained a mere 4102 Batting BY's!

Comment

I just deleted about 60000 records for non-elibible Batting BY's. There are still 37538 eligible BY's left.

The VD 9 SS contained a mere 4102 Batting BY's!
                really shooting to strain the limits of island wi-fi aren't you?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  really shooting to strain the limits of island wi-fi aren't you?
                  If I uploaded all the eligible BY for batting and pitching, it would increase the SS from about 4MB to approx 12 MB.

That wouldn't be such a big deal. I'm worried about it slowing the sheet down though. There are no calls to other sheets, so maybe there won't be any slowdown.

Comment

• Apart from 1870's and QUIZY's, can anyone think of any batter who has been picked with a very low AB count? Or any strat that would use very low AB batters?

I could delete every non-QUIZY, 1870's, and ENVO batter up to 200 AB's. That would cull another 5K maybe.

Comment

Apart from 1870's and QUIZY's, can anyone think of any batter who has been picked with a very low AB count? Or any strat that would use very low AB batters?

I could delete every non-QUIZY, 1870's, and ENVO batters up to 200 AB's. That would cull another 5K maybe.
                      I seriously think we can get rid of all BY's by non-QUIZY, 1870's, and ENVO batter up to 300 AB's.

That would reduce the BY lines to about 22K (down from 37K)

Comment

• Edit: Problem solved
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• There's a separate table that links the player ID codes to the biographical information, including names.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            There's a separate table that links the player ID codes to the biographical information, including names.
                            I just edited that query into the previous post

It's gonna be some vlookup thingy majiggy ... let's see.

VICTORIOUS!

=IF($A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,NAMES!$A$2:NAMES!$X$1900 0,3,0))
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 10-28-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Have a link for the SS?

Comment

• BY Hitting done (up to 2014) ... and a lot more (almost exclusively useless) BY's. Doing the Pitching now.

I'm pretty sure that merging the BY Data into Career data will require macro forumlas ... or exporting the data to some other program. Something I know precisely nothing about.

Hopefully MJL can do that, then we're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X