*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Uh, what? 1942 is miles and miles worse than 1929. Perhaps the value is similar (not sure about that, though) but the stats are not even close. I have Ott's 1929 as the 69th best season of all time. I have his 1942 as the 924th best of all time.

Edit: That's not all to say that it was a bad pick, though. I don't think it was a bad pick.
    Taking into account Decade strength? 20's are strong, 40's are weak.

Comment

• I almost took Ott because of being a 3b (instead of Foxxxxxxxx) but I went with the higher pure value pick - position and decade be dam - but I would I have taken 1929.

I do not feel good about how my draft is going - am afraid of heading for some huge cliffs

Comment

• yeah, for what it's worth all three of my picks so far have been QUIZY decades. we'll see how long I keep doing that. I'm not sure why I continue to think this is a good strategy.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I have it as the 36th best 1940s BY. His 1929 I have as the 15th best 1920s BY. I guess the values are somewhat similar but not overly so.
          does your scoring take into account the additional value of getting his career numbers or is it just comparing the BY stats?
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I have it as the 36th best 1940s BY. His 1929 I have as the 15th best 1920s BY. I guess the values are somewhat similar but not overly so.
            I'm happy with that valuation, give or take. The 40's do leach a lot of value from the 30's and 50's, but it is still a weak decade compared to the 1920's.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
              yeah, for what it's worth all three of my picks so far have been QUIZY decades. we'll see how long I keep doing that. I'm not sure why I continue to think this is a good strategy.
              I'm not very good at this, so take all of my commentary with a large grain of salt, but I'm not sure that any of the decades you've chosen from correlate with QUIZY in a letters draft. If anything, they seem more akin to a letter that's more scarce but still has some options (A, D, etc). They're all weaker decades, for sure, (although 2010's for pitching may actually be reasonably deep), but the only decades that truly seem close to QUIZY in their scarcity of choices would be the horrible pitching decades (1890, 1920, 1930, 1940, I think -- this is off the top of my head). Again, just my two cents.

Comment

Yeah, that was just BY alone.
                Those top tier 1920/30's career stats dumped into a weak decade like the 1940's creates a huge bump in value.

I imagine the difference in value between the average 1940's player compared to the average 1920's player will be more than BY 12 Hr, 60 RBI, 20 Runs, 0 SB, and 0.030 BA.

Then again, decade leaching also impacts the 1920's ... so this is maybe something to come back on later in the draft.

Comment

Well, I sent Controller Slider an email letting him know his pick was of the illegal variety. Looks like we're on hold for a few until it gets rectified.
                  I almost picked him ... it's called The Heyelander Effect

Comment

• I looked and saw that Anson and Mays were taken and then spent a good ten minutes deciding whether to take Pujols.

Comment

• pick fixed sorry about that
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        pick fixed sorry about that
                        fuckin' heyelander... oh, wait...
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I'm up again? This is like a friggin' Sports bar Draft.

What happened to calm and casual pace guys?

Dang

Comment

• VD 10 History thread updated ... as is the SS, but not released yet due to issues.

Will probably release it as a beta and hope someone else can fix the outstanding issues that are befuddling me.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 10-27-2015, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Revo ... did you really mean Nap Lajoie 1910? Or is that a typo for 1901?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Those top tier 1920/30's career stats dumped into a weak decade like the 1940's creates a huge bump in value.

I imagine the difference in value between the average 1940's player compared to the average 1920's player will be more than BY 12 Hr, 60 RBI, 20 Runs, 0 SB, and 0.030 BA.

Then again, decade leaching also impacts the 1920's ... so this is maybe something to come back on later in the draft.
                                And this is why I was so happy to get Ted Williams at the 4 pick...

Johnny, post the spreadsheet and I'll take a look at it. I have some minor skill with excel.

Congrats on the impending doom of a second child mjl. My girls are 8 and 3 - 5.5 years apart. Nothing is more brutal than waiting so long to have the second as your memories of all the rotten shit have evaporated. Makes you wonder why you ever thought it was a good idea to have one much less two. And then there are the majority of the moments when you realize it's completely worth it.
                                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                                X