No announcement yet.

*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed. If someone wants a 2015 BY they can give it to us. Career is more important.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I downloaded stats from http://www.tgfantasybaseball.com/baseball/stats.cfm. The question is if I can extract the CY page from the spreadsheet, merge the data, and reimport without breaking anything. Are there any formulas on the CY sheet that pull from other sheets? I would assume not...

The one annoying bit is that I don't have Excel on my computer, just OpenOffice, and I'm not totally sure that supports all the features it needs to. If someone could save the hitter and pitcher CY pages in CSV format and mail them to me or put them on a fileshare somewhere (even pastebin) that would be great. If that happens during the day today I'll do the merge tonight.

This won't include any positional updates, but I can't think of any relevant ones offhand anyway.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
        I'm pretty sure I can download stats from http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player_stats.htm. The question is if I can extract the CY page from the spreadsheet, merge the data, and reimport without breaking anything. Are there any formulas on the CY sheet that pull from other sheets? I would assume not...

The one annoying bit is that I don't have Excel on my computer, just OpenOffice, and I'm not totally sure that supports all the features it needs to. If someone could save the hitter and pitcher CY pages in CSV format and mail them to me or put them on a fileshare somewhere (even pastebin) that would be great. If that happens during the day today I'll do the merge tonight.

This won't include any positional updates, but I can't think of any relevant ones offhand anyway.
        If we get the Career stats with 2015 updated, we can work around the BY's easily enough.

There are internal sheet formulas, but nothing that draws from outside. The Taken, KO and Period columns have internal page formulas.

Comment

• And is the SS updated to 2014? The VD9 one doesn't have Chris Davis at all, for example.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

And is the SS updated to 2014? The VD9 one doesn't have Chris Davis at all, for example.
            No. We were updating as we went along ... one of the reasons we wanted to do a compete update.

Comment

• oh ok. So what's it updated to? I can pull multiple years from that site and combine them, although as noted I don't think I'll be able to do the positional stuff automatically so it'll be up to the person taking a player if they're taking either a new player or someone already in the SS with a position change. And what criteria should I use to add players? I assume we don't want some guy who got 200 AB this year as a rookie.

Comment

• Code:
                =COUNTA(C2:AC2)-stand!A4+IF(MAX(dec!C3:Q3)>1,5,0)+IF(MAX(dec!C21:Q21)>1,7,0)
                OK ... so what's wrong here.

C2:AC2 - Correct
                A4 = 0 (or blank)
                C3:Q3 = BY from Dec sheet ... if any cell is more than 1 then display/add 5 otherwise 0 (right?)
                C21:Q21 Car from Dec sheer ... if any cell is more than 1 then display/add 7 otherwise 0 (right?)

So a valid sheet is reading 3.97 (why is the base 3.97???????)
                An invalid Hitter is reading 8.97
                An invalid pitcher is reading 11.97

Comment

oh ok. So what's it updated to? I can pull multiple years from that site and combine them, although as noted I don't think I'll be able to do the positional stuff automatically so it'll be up to the person taking a player if they're taking either a new player or someone already in the SS with a position change. And what criteria should I use to add players? I assume we don't want some guy who got 200 AB this year as a rookie.
                  So you will merge the 2014 career stats with the newly added 2015 stats?

The current sheet is probably too erratic to merge. Some players are updated to 2014, other (not selected in the previous draft) will still be at 2011 or 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    So you will merge the 2014 career stats with the newly added 2015 stats?

The current sheet is probably too erratic to merge. Some players are updated to 2014, other (not selected in the previous draft) will still be at 2011 or 2012.
                    ok. So I can pull everything from 2012-2015, merge it, and merge it into the SS. The problems I will have that I haven't figured out how to resolve easily are (a) name duplication but I don't think there's much of that, so I'll probably just have to write the merge as interactive when it hits a name that it's seen before, and (b) players like Chris Davis who aren't in the SS because they weren't real relevant by 2012 but that have stats as far back as 2008. I can generate a list of players that might be screwed up in this way but actually correcting them will require someone (preferably not me) to go to b-r or whatever and update accordingly.

If I do this, it's pretty trivial to export the BYs also, though without some clever logic I'd likely export all of them which would be way more than we actually care about. Is that valuable or should I just not do any?

Comment

• More importantly is when is Johnny going to make a Pick????

Comment

• I was up this whole time?

LOL

Comment

• I will be able to enter the Walking Dead thread sometime this week ... the anticipation is palpable.

Season 5 turned out to be not as bad as i thought it was going to be.

Comment

• Stuck in a cafe waiting for the rain to stop. So bored I almost answered my ex's Skype call. Also wondering if I've screwed my draft by picking Hoffman 2nd rather than waiting for the 3rd.

Comment

• That's Jimmie FOXX biatch!

Comment

• Trying to take a man's X away. For shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X