Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I don't think so. Kershaw is a freak.

No, I meant the best of the position players.

You really can't keep both at those prices and expect to win.

So I was suggesting that you possibly trade a pitching stud for a position player stud.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      No, I meant the best of the position players.

You really can't keep both at those prices and expect to win.

So I was suggesting that you possibly trade a pitching stud for a position player stud.
      Oh, gotcha. That's a good point..
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I'd keep them both, but I'm in a points league, not a roto league. In a roto league, I imagine spending that much of your budget on pitching would be foolish, unless you have really cheap/good hitter keepers to round things out.
        Foolish to keep both? Let's say they both put up their usual dominant numbers next season. I would have approximately 450 IP with an ERA around 2.25 and a WHIP around 1.00 at worst. That is HUGE! I could spend most of my remaining cash on hitting and round out my pitching with $1-5 guys and still dominate pitching cats.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Foolish to keep both? Let's say they both put up their usual dominant numbers next season. I would have approximately 450 IP with an ERA around 2.25 and a WHIP around 1.00 at worst. That is HUGE! I could spend most of my remaining cash on hitting and round out my pitching with $1-5 guys and still dominate pitching cats.
          Could you? Presumably you're dumping saves in that plan unless you're also getting one or two closers at normal prices and then your other pitchers are the cheap ones. Who are some $1-$5 pitchers in your league? Not necessarily the really good ones, just the average ones that still stay on rosters for most of the season.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

It's hard to adjust to the $300 budget thing. I kept Kershaw at $40 in my 11-team NL-only going into this year (and will again next year), but we have a $280 budget and 25-team rosters so I don't know how that translates.

I agree with the others though - tying that much up in 2 players (especially 2 pitchers) seems foolish.

Comment

That was my thinking. IMO, you will have to spend a bit more to land a quality closer, but given your knowledge and a 14-team mixed league, you can probably land a second closer pretty reasonably. Let's say, budget $18 for closers and $15 for five other SPs, and you're at $140. In a $300 league, that's more than I'd like to budget, but if you have some decent hitting keepers I bet you can make it work.

I'd still be open for offers, and would deal either for a top-flight hitting keeper or couple of mid-tier hitting keepers if you're short on hitters. But your luxury is you don't have to.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                It's hard to adjust to the $300 budget thing. I kept Kershaw at $40 in my 11-team NL-only going into this year (and will again next year), but we have a $280 budget and 25-team rosters so I don't know how that translates.

I agree with the others though - tying that much up in 2 players (especially 2 pitchers) seems foolish.
                Kershaw would be $52 and Felix $40 with a$260 budget.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  That was my thinking. IMO, you will have to spend a bit more to land a quality closer, but given your knowledge and a 14-team mixed league, you can probably land a second closer pretty reasonably. Let's say, budget $18 for closers and $15 for five other SPs, and you're at $140. In a $300 league, that's more than I'd like to budget, but if you have some decent hitting keepers I bet you can make it work.

I'd still be open for offers, and would deal either for a top-flight hitting keeper or couple of mid-tier hitting keepers if you're short on hitters. But your luxury is you don't have to.
                  Closers are so volatile. I don't really worry about them too much as I have always been able to find them throughout the season.

My hitting keepers aren't great as I made trades this year to load up for the title run.

I like to try different strategies and this one seems interesting..though foolish!

I have plenty of time to figure it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X