Any other good pennant races out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AL 4X4
    For the first 9 weeks of the season, I was in last place.
    (Solidly projected lineup, LOTs of veteran underachievers)
    2 weeks ago, I was 11.5 points out of first.
    Today, at the close of games I'm 2.5 points out.
    I've made one relatively low impact (single player) trade, but have had a TON of waiver & free agent acquisitions.
    This season is getting FUN, quickly...
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Was in a brutal 3-way race, but my pitching took a dump the last couple weeks (Kazmir, Archer, C Young) and I've fallen out of it. 12-teamer and it was running 100-98.5-97 or so for about a month. Last two weeks took me from 98 - 99 points down to 91-93, so I'm pretty much toast.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Was in a brutal 3-way race, but my pitching took a dump the last couple weeks (Kazmir, Archer, C Young) and I've fallen out of it. 12-teamer and it was running 100-98.5-97 or so for about a month. Last two weeks took me from 98 - 99 points down to 91-93, so I'm pretty much toast.
        There's still a month left. You can't gain back those points with a solid month?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I had a brief scare two weeks ago when my closest competitor's upswing coincided with one of my downswings, closing the gap to 4 points. Since then, I've opened up a 12-point lead on him, and he's experienced some key injuries that will likely keep him at bay for the remainder of the season.

Regrettably, I got nervous when he pulled within 4 and panic-traded my keepable $10 Homer Bailey for Brandon McCarthy. Blecch...
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

NL-only 12-team 5x5, generally takes 100 or better to win, and never lower than 97:

top 3 teams each have only one of their six season-long "can cut an active player for a FA" left. and if your player gets hurt and no DL, no way to replace him except using a waiver move. the other 2 contenders each have FOUR optional moves left.

it's on. it's so on.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I just made the world series in my H2H point league, and I'm in 3rd place right now for overall points. My world series opponent is in 1st overall.

I just won a 2-week playoff game (cumulative points over two weeks) by about 10 points. It was a close one.

The world series is cumulative points over 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I'm in two -only local leagues. I'm toying with the field in my NL-only league, but there's something special going on in our AL-only league.

I've NEVER rooted for an opponent to win in my 28 years of playing with the exception of this year. This winter one of our community's generous business owners and member of our league died unexpectedly in January. He suddenly got ill and died within a couple days. He'd played in our league for thirteen years, only finishing in the money once. You know the cliché about nice guys ..... At some point Carl invited his oldest son to play along with him, and in time we had an opening in our league that Tyler took. Tyler has finished in the money a couple times but has never won the league.

Tyler's team has been in first place since the end of April, at times having as much as a 20 point lead on the field. His lead has gradually decreased, as one would expect. Typically 70+ points wins this 4x4 league. This morning the standings were:

62.5 (Tyler)
                61 (defending champion)
                58 (me)

The top five finish "in the money." I truly admit that I would be disappointed if Tyler didn't win the first Carl G. Memorial Trophy; it would be an honor to finish second or third place this year.
                "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

As of today I am 27 points up in my 14-team mixed (with madducks and Mag7)..going for an unprecedented three-peat.

I know the lead is large, but I am still not counting the proverbial chickens....
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

start of day, guy with best keeper list in our 31-year history still led 95-94
                    as the last ABs arrive in LAD-COL, it appears he has lost, 94 to 93.5

he used his last of 6 'free' moves to grab Lohse a couple of weeks ago, which worked well, but he couldn't or wouldn't cut loose a cheap but not playing Arenado down the stretch. he kept Arenado but lost the war. injuries to Jose Fernandez, Wacha, Gio, Ryu, Goldschmidt and Arenado, with loss of Street to AL leading to acquisition of AReed, who sucked. Lincecum addition was even worse before he dumped him after a 9.49 ERA in 6 starts. dumping him even one sooner start would have been worth 3 ERA pts and a title.

#badbeat

winner was in 5th place on Sept 1, though only 8.5 pts back
                    Posey, Cueto, Bumgarner, and Kimbrel among the heroes
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      In my 11-team NL-only it's been a 2-team battle between me and the new guy for a while now. Right now he's got 86 and I'm at 84 with 3rd place at 69. Losing Trumbo for an extended period of time has hurt but my only other major injuries were to Jaime Garcia and Jhoulys Chacin which ruined my pitching depth but they weren't exactly core guys anyway. My real problem has been that all my expensive hitters are underperforming - Heyward (not bad, not worth $37), Bruce (traded for him a little over a month ago, definitely not worth $38), Trumbo (the injury didn't help, but either way he's not pulling his $30 weight). Now that a couple of my early season pitching darlings are showing their warts (Beckett and Eovaldi) I've started to lose ground in the pitching categories, but hopefully my hitting will make up for it. On paper my team is much better than his, but I need some of these guys to start producing.
                      Ended up pulling off the title 88.5-84. My excellent starting pitching (Kershaw, Cueto, and Zimmerman primarily) led to 50 pitching points while a 2nd place finish in steals (thanks to Revere, Rollins, JHay, Heyward, and Wong) buoyed an otherwise mediocre offense dragged down by some overpaid "stars" (Bruce mostly). It looked to be in the bag when I had a 10+ point lead a couple weeks ago but my hitting completely tanked, losing me a handful of points in OBP, and Soriano lost the closer gig which also cost me a couple points.

Anyway, it was a gratifying season and I still have some good keepers going into next year since I didn't really have to make any blockbuster deals (only dealt away Archie Bradley and Matt Wisler). It's been a long time since this league has had a back-to-back winner (if ever, I've only been in it 8 years) but with some savvy drafting hopefully I can do it!

Comment

Working...
                      X