No announcement yet.

Any other good pennant races out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other good pennant races out there?

Our 31st-year NL-only 12-team 5x5 has this race for 1st as August begins, with top injuries and frustrations listed for each team:

88.5 - JoFernandez, Wacha; Grilli-Street to AL
    86 - MEstrada, Gyorko; Jeff S to AL
    78.5 - Headley & to AL
    77.5 - CarGo, CCrawford, CYoung, Cuddyer, Cashner (I c a trend there!)
    76.5 - Holliday, Phillips
    76 - Kemp, BJUpton, RHoward, Olt, Uggla, CMartinez

then 60.5 and the rest (I am 8thT at 58.5 and have dumped)
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

In my 11-team NL-only it's been a 2-team battle between me and the new guy for a while now. Right now he's got 86 and I'm at 84 with 3rd place at 69. Losing Trumbo for an extended period of time has hurt but my only other major injuries were to Jaime Garcia and Jhoulys Chacin which ruined my pitching depth but they weren't exactly core guys anyway. My real problem has been that all my expensive hitters are underperforming - Heyward (not bad, not worth $37), Bruce (traded for him a little over a month ago, definitely not worth $38), Trumbo (the injury didn't help, but either way he's not pulling his $30 weight). Now that a couple of my early season pitching darlings are showing their warts (Beckett and Eovaldi) I've started to lose ground in the pitching categories, but hopefully my hitting will make up for it. On paper my team is much better than his, but I need some of these guys to start producing.

Comment

anybody?

easily our best 3+-team race since 1999. leaders, NL-only 12-team 5x5 (winner generally straddles the 100 pt line):

the 6th-place guy was even closer, but dumped last week to several contenders...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

12-team mixed: 82, 81, 80, 80, 76.5 (me), 73.5. Scores shift about two points a day, so there's been a lot of turbulence in the ordering.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

wow, even tighter!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

MTARBL
            82.50 Pumps
            80.50 FOS (me)
            76.00 Melbourne Dry Heat
            57.00 Sewell Rats
            53.50 Merv's Marauders
            53.50 Milligan's Islanders

Top 4 get paid. Pumps is our perpetual winner. 10 of the last 14 titles or something. After a June surge I dropped to 3rd-5th. Lats year Melbourne was in first from May-July then collapsed and finished in 4th - I snuck into 2nd with a big dump trade. He won't fall as far this year but first place is slipping away again. I was going to make a post about when he was going to tank again this year but didn't want to anti-jink him. It almost seems safe now.

I could gain up to 4.5 points so first is still within reach.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              In my 11-team NL-only it's been a 2-team battle between me and the new guy for a while now. Right now he's got 86 and I'm at 84 with 3rd place at 69. Losing Trumbo for an extended period of time has hurt but my only other major injuries were to Jaime Garcia and Jhoulys Chacin which ruined my pitching depth but they weren't exactly core guys anyway. My real problem has been that all my expensive hitters are underperforming - Heyward (not bad, not worth $37), Bruce (traded for him a little over a month ago, definitely not worth $38), Trumbo (the injury didn't help, but either way he's not pulling his $30 weight). Now that a couple of my early season pitching darlings are showing their warts (Beckett and Eovaldi) I've started to lose ground in the pitching categories, but hopefully my hitting will make up for it. On paper my team is much better than his, but I need some of these guys to start producing.
              Is there a more useless statement than this when it comes to fantasy baseball?
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                MTARBL
                82.50 Pumps
                80.50 FOS (me)
                76.00 Melbourne Dry Heat
                57.00 Sewell Rats
                53.50 Merv's Marauders
                53.50 Milligan's Islanders

Top 4 get paid. Pumps is our perpetual winner. 10 of the last 14 titles or something. After a June surge I dropped to 3rd-5th. Lats year Melbourne was in first from May-July then collapsed and finished in 4th - I snuck into 2nd with a big dump trade. He won't fall as far this year but first place is slipping away again. I was going to make a post about when he was going to tank again this year but didn't want to anti-jink him. It almost seems safe now.

I could gain up to 4.5 points so first is still within reach.
                How does one guy win 10 times in 14 years? That's ridiculous.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  How does one guy win 10 times in 14 years? That's ridiculous.
                  If we knew, it would stop. The past few years coming out of the draft he's been leaving money on the table. One year it was $23 or something. I thought "there is NO WAY he can win this year" - guess what happened. He does tend to win the trades he makes.

Noteable trades he made this year:

Nava/Guzman/Hutchison for VMart/Cook
                  Almonte for AEscobar
                  Guthrie/Morrow for Saunders/Kuroda
                  Reyes/Francisco/Choo for Miggy/Rajai/Guzman
                  Eaton/Cron for Anibal

Last year I got Shields/Callaspo for Longoria. I wanted Scherzer but he wouldn't let him go, so I got the extra piece in Callaspo who had some good streaks for me.

ETA: He's actually won 10/13 years since 2011. I won 2 of his 2 off-years. Two of his victories were by 0.5 and 1 point, so he got lucky a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    anybody?

easily our best 3+-team race since 1999. leaders, NL-only 12-team 5x5 (winner generally straddles the 100 pt line):

the 6th-place guy was even closer, but dumped last week to several contenders...
                    12 team NL-Only 9th year, today's standings:
                    Rejects 90.5 (We're not sure, may be mirrors or magic)
                    Warped 90.0 (Lost Fernandez, Wacha & Bailey, traded for Ryu recently)
                    Roadtrippers 87.5 (Great pitching but hitting tanked Bruce, Segura, traded for Votto & Cargo)
                    Salmon Kings 85.5 (pretty steady all year while losing Zimm & Yadi)

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      12-team mixed: 82, 81, 80, 80, 76.5 (me), 73.5. Scores shift about two points a day, so there's been a lot of turbulence in the ordering.
                      One of the teams has pulled away somewhat after trading Springer, Wong, and Bailey for Beltre, Bumgarner, and Price (and just having a good week), but it's still close. 86, 80, 79, 78 (me), 77.5, 75.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Our race was a three-way battle for most of the season, but I pulled ahead about a month ago and haven't been out of first since. But having lost Goldschmidt, Darvish, and Bailey, it's far from a lock. My range goes from 95-106 (all-time high score is 104), and 2nd could get to 100 if everything broke right for him. In twelve seasons, I've won five, so I'm hoping to pull even with the field

101.5 (me), 93, 85, 77, 74, 70
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

12 tm AL only 4x4... Top 3 three teams as of tonight (live stats):

1 - 76.0
                          2 - 75.5
                          3 - 75.0 --- me
                          4 - 67.5

Tight race for top and bottom

10 - 32.5
                          11 - 31.0
                          12 - 30.0
                          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

the race tightens:

(73 etc)

could end as our best ever in 31 years

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

The team in 4th as of last post is now in 6th - top 4 get paid. He seems to be neglecting his team (he is 1 SV ahead of me and has had Nathan on his bench for weeks - Perkins and Feliz have not capitalized for me).

79.00 (me)

Comment

Working...
                              X