No announcement yet.

Whatta Night of RJEL Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel less excited about dumping considering what is available in trades and the lack of high-end options.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
      I feel less excited about dumping considering what is available in trades and the lack of high-end options.
      Then wait for a bit...people may have trade fatigue right now as some deals don't look all that good for the 1st week. You have some great pieces...Choo, EE, Ortiz, Hamels, and Reed. People WILL want those guys, and they'll pay for them, don't settle for 60 cents on the dollar...you have blue chips, use them wisely.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Then wait for a bit...people may have trade fatigue right now as some deals don't look all that good for the 1st week. You have some great pieces...Choo, EE, Ortiz, Hamels, and Reed. People WILL want those guys, and they'll pay for them, don't settle for 60 cents on the dollar...you have blue chips, use them wisely.
        Agreed. what a flurry. It was dizzying for a minute. Felt like a carnival.

Comment

Remember, you CAN come home again...
          Thanks, if I do retire this winter I may take you up on that....
          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Well, perhaps you could get more in return if you responded and haggled a bit.

Truth is, getting in now is probably a good thing. In a month, the standings will fossilize more and fewer teams will be in it, so you will have fewer teams to trade with. Also, I know that unless I am one key from a certain championship, every day that goes by reduces the values of the studs I can get in return as they give me one day fewer of stats. Also, my minor league studs gain value because they are one day closer to seeing MLB action, should that day come. The value of your players shrinks by the day and the value of the players you target grows. Also, as other owners do trades, they get closer to our asinine salary cap, meaning that some of your chips become completely immoveable and totally worthless. Every trade that happens reduces their trade value in a major way.

I gave up that 1A Teheran and he only could have gone in my first deal, a deal a week before everyone else's.

Your guys will have value, but as the deadline nears, they have considerably less than they do right now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              Well, perhaps you could get more in return if you responded and haggled a bit.

Truth is, getting in now is probably a good thing. In a month, the standings will fossilize more and fewer teams will be in it, so you will have fewer teams to trade with. Also, I know that unless I am one key from a certain championship, every day that goes by reduces the values of the studs I can get in return as they give me one day fewer of stats. Also, my minor league studs gain value because they are one day closer to seeing MLB action, should that day come. The value of your players shrinks by the day and the value of the players you target grows. Also, as other owners do trades, they get closer to our asinine salary cap, meaning that some of your chips become completely immoveable and totally worthless. Every trade that happens reduces their trade value in a major way.

I gave up that 1A Teheran and he only could have gone in my first deal, a deal a week before everyone else's.

Your guys will have value, but as the deadline nears, they have considerably less than they do right now.
              Oh, I don't think that this is true at all. Yes, the herd will thin, and yes, there will be more sellers, but the guys in the running at mid-season will pay a premium for pieces that will get them to the promised land. And if you look at the top teams, all have saved some rather large bullets to be used towards the end, or whenever they can swing a deal. Rick has at least 3 guys, Keith has two or three, Wayne has two or three (if he'd get to dealing, LOL), Mike, Pete, and John all have guys to deal...the players are there. And DJ has the goods...who's hotter than EE right now? Who's a better fit than Choo in an OBP league?

The eyes will get bigger as the end come nearer...to sell short now in a panic move would be silly, IMO. I'd rather keep moving up with my studs hoping for a high draft pick than settle for mediocrity that may not ever help me win.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Horns, you missed the big point Dane made. The hard caps on the top teams, once packed, make Choo $36 and the like impossible to move at any cost. 1st movers typically get better deals, not just from perspective of getting pick of the litter, as in the 1A J Teheran, 6M Polanco etc, but once moved are gone. The big deal is $360 cap, Big Tymers, Keith, Hammer are capped out right now. Just because Keith has a 1M O Taveras does not mean he will move him, I can say positively he wont be moved, because the ammo that it would take to get him, as in a couple elite hitters , wont fit in the hard cap and his $3 remaining space.

The key to roto is respect, and self awareness. Know your team and realistically if you have a shot, and if you do where your needs are. Know early movers get 1st choice, and know that hard salary caps restrict free trade so get going. And approach other teams with their pov in mind, as in what you can offer them that makes sense. If you for instance, mid april cold offer a worthless Bubba Starling (not even a top 200 prospect realistically, he will never hit his weight) for Cano that type of disprespect will not only lead to auto decline but you will burn a bridge. If you know you are going rebuild, waiting weakens your position every day as other top teams salary cap out and remove trading partners.
                Last edited by gcstomp; 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Well the X factor still out there for those of us capped out is injury. A big time injury to a high cap guy for me, like cargo, miggy, or wainwright would open up cap space and force me to look into trading again. I'm sure in another month my team will show me another need that needs filled and I'll have to make a move. I sure would love the Cards to call Oscar up already though

Comment

Haha Glen is still sore about that. I am going to buy a Bubba Starling jersey. Don't worry, bud I won't offer you any trades. Keep your burnt bridge and name it Cano Crossing. Sorry I was a little fried that night and sent you a dumb offer but you acted like such a huge baby about it so now it's funny.

I'm really not worried about dumping. Most of the offers I have received are packed with distractions and pieces I don't want. Some of the big pieces like Lindor, Syndegaard, etc I was told no on. Not sure on the Polanco situation as that happened without much discussion involving me. I think dumping is boring and I will keep battling for awhile and see where it goes. I'm fairly confident I can find takers if I want to for guys without having to hand over the entire lot because I need to get my hands on someone like Teheran.

Next year I will have Matt Harvey and Matt Moore back and hopefully some contributions from guys like Dylan Bundy, Javier Baez, Boagaerts, Matt Adams, Zunino, Rizzo and Sonny Gray.

I'll figure it out.

I still have a couple offers I'm looking at (Tim and Chris) Plus I know that everytime I've countered, most ppl tell me their stud prospects are not options because of one reason or another and then they want to shorten the deal for just a closer or just an OF.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      Horns, you missed the big point Dane made. The hard caps on the top teams, once packed, make Choo $36 and the like impossible to move at any cost. 1st movers typically get better deals, not just from perspective of getting pick of the litter, as in the 1A J Teheran, 6M Polanco etc, but once moved are gone. The big deal is $360 cap, Big Tymers, Keith, Hammer are capped out right now. Just because Keith has a 1M O Taveras does not mean he will move him, I can say positively he wont be moved, because the ammo that it would take to get him, as in a couple elite hitters , wont fit in the hard cap and his $3 remaining space.

The key to roto is respect, and self awareness. Know your team and realistically if you have a shot, and if you do where your needs are. Know early movers get 1st choice, and know that hard salary caps restrict free trade so get going. And approach other teams with their pov in mind, as in what you can offer them that makes sense. If you for instance, mid april cold offer a worthless Bubba Starling (not even a top 200 prospect realistically, he will never hit his weight) for Cano that type of disprespect will not only lead to auto decline but you will burn a bridge. If you know you are going rebuild, waiting weakens your position every day as other top teams salary cap out and remove trading partners.
                      No, I didn't miss that point at all...I think that you'll find that this group of guys are very smart and creative when it comes to dealing with the cap. I think that you'll be surprised at what people can, and will do in the league to get the pieces that they think they need to get in the money. Never say something absolutely going to happen or not...there are very few absolutes in fantasy.

And seriously, get over the Starling offer...it's water under the bridge.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I think that you'll find that this group of guys are very smart and creative when it comes to dealing with the cap.
                        Yup. I have already figured out that I can fit in another $30 player and as Keith said that is even before injuries might strike down the line. The challenge I see is there is no good pitching available right now (or at least any worth trading top prospects for). Tried to get in on Rios offering up Frazier but BAs went in another direction.

Comment

Plus I know that everytime I've countered, most ppl tell me their stud prospects are not options because of one reason or another and then they want to shorten the deal for just a closer or just an OF.
                          yeah, I tried that with Battle Axes, asking if I could trade him just one stud prospect and one decent prospect for one fewer guy, but instead he added another player to his side and I felt like I had to do it.

So one more deal on the pile:

Springer ($6/year zero) and Sano ($5/minors)
                          for
                          Braun ($50/A), Bautista ($14/expiring), Rios ($7/expiring), JPeralta ($4/B), HBailey ($15/B)

hope Braun's oblique isn't too bad, and that I can flip a little of this for pitching help.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            yeah, I tried that with Battle Axes, asking if I could trade him just one stud prospect and one decent prospect for one fewer guy, but instead he added another player to his side and I felt like I had to do it.

So one more deal on the pile:

Springer ($6/year zero) and Sano ($5/minors)
                            for
                            Braun ($50/A), Bautista ($14/expiring), Rios ($7/expiring), JPeralta ($4/B), HBailey ($15/B)

hope Braun's oblique isn't too bad, and that I can flip a little of this for pitching help.
                            That was a hell of a deal, frankly shocked that you were able to pull it off.

It was heavy on the player side vs. the prospect side, but those are 2 premium, top 10 studs, so it works for both sides. Nice work for the 1st year guy...I have no idea what you're going to do when Lee, Paxton Abreu, Kipnis, and Morrow come off the DL, but you'll cross that bridge when you come to it.

BTW, you're at 361 in the salary cap, you were never charged for Paxton when you promoted him to the majors...so he's at 3 now, and 6 when he's off the DL. That'll be your 1st challenge this week... But seeing as you're 3 players over the reserve limit, you shouldn't have a problem...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Monster deal there Mike. You appear well positioned, eliminated a top 1/2 in standings team from the running, received a massive influx of talent that includes a keeper priced $4 J Peralta salary + a cap friendly non keepable J Bautista. I am a bit shocked as well by the haul you pulled in, nice job.

Comment

No, I didn't miss that point at all...I think that you'll find that this group of guys are very smart and creative when it comes to dealing with the cap. I think that you'll be surprised at what people can, and will do in the league to get the pieces that they think they need to get in the money. Never say something absolutely going to happen or not...there are very few absolutes in fantasy.
                                I agree with this. Just looking at last year, for example, there were plenty of big(gish) deals in late July and even early August. Injuries happen, owners get creative, and big salaries just stop performing and open up cap space when they're dropped (see Verlander, circa 2013).

Comment

Working...
                                X