No announcement yet.

Collin McHugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This happens every year, a pitcher that nobody had on their radar suddenly "discovers" a new pitch or a new approach. It usually takes the league a bit to catch up, but when it does, it's not pretty...

Ride the train while you can, but be near as possible to the emergency exit.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Pick from the following:
      Good luck
      Confidence
      New pitching coaches/organizational philosophy
      Better catchers
      Fastball speed up about one mph
      Same stuff but new approach
      Scouting report not caught up with new approach
      Those faithful to Poguism would never include Good luck as one the possibilities. I'll take #3 and #6.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Well...it's apparent Seitz likes him. Good enough for me.
        He also really liked Robbie Grossman this year

Comment

Who was that guy from Milwaukee that we rode for about 9 or 10 starts? Then some of us traded him before the fall. That might be a good thing to do here. The trick will be how long do you hang on to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Who was that guy from Milwaukee that we rode for about 9 or 10 starts? Then some of us traded him before the fall. That might be a good thing to do here. The trick will be how long do you hang on to him.
            Mike Fiers?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              This year isn't over!

But seriously, don't take this thread as a fantasy recommendation. I love what McHugh has done for us. And we wouldn't have claimed him from the Rockies if I didn't like him. But that's different than touting him for anyone's fantasy roster.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Mike Fiers?
                Yep. Threw very hard without much movement. Now he is not even on the roster.

Comment

He threw 88-89 and had a good changeup and a decent curveball.

Fiers also got very unlucky on batted balls in August and September that year. He wasn't giving up hard hits, but they were falling in. He did walk a few more guys and that hurt him, too. And then he broke his arm in 2013, which is why he disappeared.

McHugh throws 92 with a good curveball. He has also earned the lack of hits so far, although of course it's not likely to continue at this level.

Weakest contact allowed, 2014 starting pitchers:
                  1. Scott Feldman
                  2. Johnny Cueto
                  3. Dallas Keuchel
                  4. Yordano Ventura
                  5. Anibal Sanchez
                  6. Hyun-Jin Ryu
                  7. Collin McHugh
                  8. Francisco Liriano
                  9. Mike Bolsinger
                  10. Matt Cain
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Weakest contact allowed, 2014 starting pitchers:
                    1. Scott Feldman
                    2. Johnny Cueto
                    3. Dallas Keuchel
                    4. Yordano Ventura
                    5. Anibal Sanchez
                    6. Hyun-Jin Ryu
                    7. Collin McHugh
                    8. Francisco Liriano
                    9. Mike Bolsinger
                    10. Matt Cain
                    Inordinate number of 'stros on that list. Coincidence or organizational philosophy??
                    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Even Seitz gets a mulligan on occasion.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Mike Fiers?
                        Fiers in AAA this year, has 5 wins in 5 games with a 0.80 era and a 47/3 k/bb ratio. His k totals the last 3 games are 12,10,11. Now he just needs a spot to open up in the Brewers rotation.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Fiers in AAA this year, has 5 wins in 5 games with a 0.80 era and a 47/3 k/bb ratio. His k totals the last 3 games are 12,10,11. Now he just needs a spot to open up in the Brewers rotation.
                          AAA aint the bigs..but that is impressive...
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

This year isn't over!

But seriously, don't take this thread as a fantasy recommendation. I love what McHugh has done for us. And we wouldn't have claimed him from the Rockies if I didn't like him. But that's different than touting him for anyone's fantasy roster.
                            So you're saying McHugh is an Astro because of your recommendation? That's pretty damn cool!

Comment

A little regression for Colin today...
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Collin McHugh beat Jered Weaver tonight. Pitched a heck of a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X