ike davis to pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
    Yup. And a couple of those guys may never make the majors. Maybe one of them becomes a star. Prospects are fools gold.
    Trading prospects is fine and I am all for it to get guys that are proven and reliable. Davis flashed his power for one year, his WAR that year was blah and he has since faded. His stock is down, you don't trade your best prospects for that guy. Now at the trade deadline this year if the Pirates were in it, trade them and get something that really helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
      I guarantee you that at least four of them won't have as good a major league career as Ike Davis has had already. Such is the nature of minor league prospects in any organization...
      My money is that one of them who does not make it will be the one the Mets acquire in this deal...but I'm not a jaded Mets fan by any means

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
        Trading prospects is fine and I am all for it to get guys that are proven and reliable. Davis flashed his power for one year, his WAR that year was blah and he has since faded. His stock is down, you don't trade your best prospects for that guy. Now at the trade deadline this year if the Pirates were in it, trade them and get something that really helps you.
        I get this, and I agree, for the most part. But, "proven and reliable" major leaguers are about as infrequent as prospects that pan out. I certainly wouldn't trade a pile of my best prospects for Ike Davis, but if I could get him for my 5th-best prospect, I'd do it. At this point, it's almost a full season of stats for a guy that probably won't pan out anyway.

When I took over my RJEL team, my two best prospects were Jesus Montero and Wade Davis. I traded them for a bunch of stuff, including -I believe- the pick that became Jurickson Profar. At this point, it doesn't even matter what I got, because even though I traded away two huge prospects, they were, in essence, completely worthless. I remember taking some crap for being a rebuilder and trading away my two best chips, but my first three years netted me 4th in the 3-year title, even though I took over a poor team and was rebuilding for the first two years.

Prospects are NOT worth very much at all, and getting Davis to fill a real hole in your team this early in the season is worth a mid-range prospect.

Comment

I get this, and I agree, for the most part. But, "proven and reliable" major leaguers are about as infrequent as prospects that pan out. I certainly wouldn't trade a pile of my best prospects for Ike Davis, but if I could get him for my 5th-best prospect, I'd do it. At this point, it's almost a full season of stats for a guy that probably won't pan out anyway.

When I took over my RJEL team, my two best prospects were Jesus Montero and Wade Davis. I traded them for a bunch of stuff, including -I believe- the pick that became Jurickson Profar. At this point, it doesn't even matter what I got, because even though I traded away two huge prospects, they were, in essence, completely worthless. I remember taking some crap for being a rebuilder and trading away my two best chips, but my first three years netted me 4th in the 3-year title, even though I took over a poor team and was rebuilding for the first two years.

Prospects are NOT worth very much at all, and getting Davis to fill a real hole in your team this early in the season is worth a mid-range prospect.
          You should be trading Profar the minute he comes back!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            You should be trading Profar the minute he comes back!
            Are you kidding me? I traded him last year at the peak of his value. I got in that deal most of what I needed to end up in 2nd.

Comment

Are you kidding me? I traded him last year at the peak of his value. I got in that deal most of what I needed to end up in 2nd.
              nice work

Comment

And the PTBNL is.....Pirates' #17 prospect Blake Taylor.

Mets acquired LHP Blake Taylor from the Pirates to complete the Ike Davis trade.
                Taylor is a lottery ticket acquisition for the Mets, as he's just 18 after being taken in the second round of last year's draft. However, the upside is there, as Taylor is a big lefty who is already sitting in the low-90s while also possessing a nice curveball. He's been assigned to the rookie-level Gulf Coast Mets and obviously needs plenty of developmental time. Taylor was ranked by Baseball America before the season as the Pirates' No. 17 prospect.
                Jun 15 - 12:55 PM

Comment

Working...
                X