No announcement yet.

2 days into the season, 4 projected closers already down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doolittle looked dominant tonight and vs 3 RH batters. Not a save situation but it felt like he was being used as the closer.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Doolittle looked dominant tonight and vs 3 RH batters. Not a save situation but it felt like he was being used as the closer.
      That's going to be up in the air all season long...they'll continue to keep Johnson in the mix, simply because they're paying him so much. And eventually, he'll either do what he's done in the past and reel off a long string of successful appearances, or be relegated to garbage time.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
        lol. you need a new headline writer. how about: "hawkins hammered hard yet again, gets another weak save." he has been getting knocked around for three weeks, we're lucky he's been able to wriggle off the hook so many times. he has to pitch better, it's going to catch up with him sooner or later.
        Brothers hasn't been greeeaaat, either, so the handcuff situation isn't as clear cut as it was last year..you guys like him or Ottavino?
        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
        UTIL- Benintendi
        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
        IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
          Brothers hasn't been greeeaaat, either, so the handcuff situation isn't as clear cut as it was last year..you guys like him or Ottavino?
          I still get the feeling that Brothers would be their first choice to replace Hawkins when he fails, but I wouldn't think his leash would be long at all. Ottavino is far and away the best pitcher in that pen and he's been even better than Brothers was when he was building his rep as closer-in-waiting. They should go straight to Ottavino, but I'm having some doubts they will. That said, if you are targeting skills before roles, then grab Ottavino.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            That's going to be up in the air all season long...they'll continue to keep Johnson in the mix, simply because they're paying him so much. And eventually, he'll either do what he's done in the past and reel off a long string of successful appearances, or be relegated to garbage time.
            Originally posted by rw
            Pitching in the sixth inning, Jim Johnson walked three of the six batters he faced, hitting another, before being pulled against the Indians.
            Fortunately, Johnson's wildness did little harm; he allowed just one run in a 9-2 game before Fernando Abad came in and got the final out of the inning. Still, it was a very uncharacteristic outing from a guy who seems to have lost his confidence. He obviously won't be closing out any games in the ninth for a while. Sean Doolittle and Luke Gregerson will probably share those duties.
            5.00 ERA now for Johnson. If Doolittle gets the next save opp, he probably won't give it back.

Not that Doolittle is perfect, 30% GB is going to get him in trouble occasionally.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• On a side note, Rondon throws hard. All the FB I saw today were 96-99 mph.

Comment

• hawkins blows the save. two run HR to everth cabrera in the 9th to tie it up...
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• yeah, that was quite a meatball!
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Any thoughts on Neil Ramirez on the Cubs. He's been lights out since being called up; 9.1 IP, 5 H, 2 BB 15 K. Rondon is pitching well right now, is Ramirez worth holding on to?
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Unless you desperately need the roster space, the K's should make him worth keeping. And let's face it, Rondon looks good, but the situation is very volatile.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        Unless you desperately need the roster space, the K's should make him worth keeping. And let's face it, Rondon looks good, but the situation is very volatile.
                        Why would you consider it volatile? He's doing the job, and there nobody else on the Cubs who's considered a realistic closer in waiting. If they stick with him, they've got a controllable closer for a few years. The other guys are trade fodder at this point, IMO.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Why would you consider it volatile? He's doing the job, and there nobody else on the Cubs who's considered a realistic closer in waiting. If they stick with him, they've got a controllable closer for a few years. The other guys are trade fodder at this point, IMO.
                          Rondon did nothing last year and at this point, has not yet established himself. Also, among others, I would still keep my eye on Vizcaino.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Unless you desperately need the roster space, the K's should make him worth keeping. And let's face it, Rondon looks good, but the situation is very volatile.
                            What he said. NL-only league, you could do a lot worse.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
                              Rondon did nothing last year and at this point, has not yet established himself. Also, among others, I would still keep my eye on Vizcaino.
                              Rondon was a rule 5 last year IIRC, so he was just kept on the roster so they didn't lose him. This year he's got a K rate of over 10 per 9 and a walk rate of under 3...what's not to like? He gave up a leadoff double to Braun today and then shut the door on the Brewers with 2 K's and a popup. Yesterday he smoked the Brewers with 2 groundouts and a strikeout. He may not be Craig Kimbrel, but he's making a pretty good case that he's the guy to stick with.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                If Veras pitches well upon return, I'd wager that he'll get another shot.
                                At this point I think he might have to wait for a Rondon implosion. Rondon now has 5 saves and I think he's very close to locking down the job until he proves he cant do it.

If he does crap out soon, then we are definitely back to Veras if he's pitching well.

Comment

Working...
                                X