No announcement yet.

Roto vs. Head to Head: The Shifting Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been in a roto league for almost 20 years and a H2H for about 6. The H2H is ok because that is what most of the owners want but it isn't near as good as roto. The last 3 years the champs were the 6, 2, and 5 seeds. I have won regular season last 2 years, once by 20+ games, was 2nd the year before and have no championships. It is ok because it gives me something to do each day but know the best team may or may not win.

For strategy I would say load up on pitching or hitting and just forget the other side. I am usually going 5-1 in pitching each week (we have standard 10 categories + losses for pitching and hits for batters) so that gives me a good head start and then I hope to go 3-3 or 2-4 in hitting. We only have a 20 IP minimum for the week. In my first year I inherited a crappy team but got King Felix with my first pick. I went Felix, some other starter, and good relievers to get to 20 IP. I would lose wins and K's each week, win losses and saves and more often than not I would win ERA and WHIP. My staff now is Felix, Verlander and Kershaw (keeper league and I made some trades) so I do well in pitching. Another team that is typically good in my league has crappy pitching but had Cabrera, Wright, Braun, and Fielder. He is going 5-1 in hitting almost every week and then hopes to go 3-3 in pitching. He has lots of starters that he rotates in so to try to get wins and K's each week and then hope they pitch well so he competes in ERA and WHIP.

Comment

My league was founded in 1999. The first year was roto, then we changed to H2H points and never looked back. We've evolved a lot over the years, and settled on a format a few years back that everyone seems to love. I expect it's fairly unique, but not complicated really.

16-team mixed H2H points auction/keeper league
      Weekly transactions. 2 games a week.
      The pot is evenly split between H2H and total overall points.

The regular season is 19 weeks, for a total of 38 games to determine the standings.
      There are 4 4-team divisions. The division winners and 2 wild cards make the playoffs.
      The next 8 teams in the standings play a double-elimination consolation tournament.

Weeks 20-26 of the MLB season comprise the playoffs, including:
      • a 2-week wildcard series
      • a 2-week division series
      • a 3-week world series
      During playoff series, cumulative points over the length of the series determine the winner.

The pot:
      50% H2H
      League Champion - 20%
      World Series Loser - 10%
      Division Winners (4) -16% (4% each)
      Wild Card (2) - 2% (1% each)
      Consolation tournament winner - 2%

50% POINTS (entire season points standings)
      1st - 20%
      2nd - 15%
      3rd - 10%
      4th - 5%

Comment

The only way to make H-H somewhat palatable is to do what we've done in my 25 year Football league, reward the division winners with 75% of the pot. So winning the overall "Championship" essentially covers your entry fee and gives you bragging rights. Winning your division gives you the cash...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
        X