Roto vs. Head to Head: The Shifting Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
    In our football league this year, many of whom are in the baseball league, we had the 8 seed beat the 6 seed for the championship, and people really liked that.
    See, in baseball that would piss me off (and it frustrates me in football too which is why I'm down to 1 league). Why spend the entire year compliling stats to then allow for the randomness of a small sample playoff format to determine the winner. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
      See, in baseball that would piss me off (and it frustrates me in football too which is why I'm down to 1 league). Why spend the entire year compliling stats to then allow for the randomness of a small sample playoff format to determine the winner. No thanks.
      Exactly...I play in a H-H points league and I consider my self to have a very good team. I finish towards the top each year, and I've yet to even get in the championship week, due to someone with a lesser team having more 2 start pitchers, or something similar.

I'll take the season long grind of roto, and the accurate results that you end up with every day of the week.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        I think weekly transactions are a relic of Roto days when we were bound by antiquated league sites and/or pen-and-paper data crunching. Head-to-Head leagues are much more fun with daily transactions.
        said no owner's wife or child, ever
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Because any H2H league worth its salt is also a daily league. If you're playing in a head-to-head league with weekly starts, you're doing it wrong.
          Well that doesn't even make any sense. If the "game" is for the week, then you should set your starters before the "game" starts. The only way that makes sense is if your starting lineup for each day is the 8 fielding positions, a SP, and a RP. Then I could see setting lineups each day.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
            Our 21-year old league is debating this as well-Always played roto, but we may switch to h2h this year. I agree-the proliferation of fantasy football has spurred us to go this direction, playing the h2h format in football. In our football league this year, many of whom are in the baseball league, we had the 8 seed beat the 6 seed for the championship, and people really liked that.
            Unless you have 20 teams in your league, why are you even letting 8 teams into the playoffs?
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Because any H2H league worth its salt is also a daily league. If you're playing in a head-to-head league with weekly starts, you're doing it wrong.
              This is just a bad assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                Don't let that bastard stepchild fantasy football pollute fantasy baseball
                we could play checkers instead of chess too - head to head - yuck

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                    Agreed. I, too, have all but quit fantasy football for the reason that dumb luck wins too often over the best team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      Unless you have 20 teams in your league, why are you even letting 8 teams into the playoffs?
                      14 team league. We moved from 6 to 8 make the playoffs last year.

Comment

I got talked into switching to H2H 6 or 7 years ago. After 3 years I'd had enough and convinced the league to return to Roto, and everyone is happy we switched back. Baseball is not a weekly game so it makes no sense to play weekly matchup, especially with the unequal number of starts in most matchups.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This thread is pretty much a complete reading of mind mind on the topic from both points of view.

I definitely prefer Roto, but living where I live and wanting to locally compete I'm needing to adjust.

Strategy wise I could right a book on Roto, but I feel like a newbie in Head 2 Head.

Also I am married with 2 kids, and extremely active in my church so my time management is a serious issue.
                          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            This is just a bad assumption.
                            very bad

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            we could play checkers instead of chess too - head to head - yuck
                            It would be more poker vs bridge

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                              I definitely prefer Roto, but living where I live and wanting to locally compete I'm needing to adjust.
                              For love of the game...you do what you gotta do.

Comment

Your back cover advertiser for that mag you just wrote 210 pitching evaluations for would like to speak to you.

As elD said, preach, brotha!
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X