Results from the FSTA draft posted online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    These guys should pony up a grand each and then do the draft...winner take all. Then would would get an accurate assessment from these "experts".
    Given that I don't agree with the premise driving this comment, I don't agree with the comment either.

In a winner-take-all scenario, there are more high reward selections made than in a standard format. As is, the draft basically is winner take all -- I venture to say the difference would be minimal.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
      Given that I don't agree with the premise driving this comment, I don't agree with the comment either.

In a winner-take-all scenario, there are more high reward selections made than in a standard format. As is, the draft basically is winner take all -- I venture to say the difference would be minimal.
      Todd...Mith

Mith...Todd

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        Todd...Mith

Mith...Todd

It's all good. I was a huge Rush fan growing up. Besides, whoever won it would be due to luck

Comment

I see your point. Do you feel this draft is a good representation of the true values of the players taken? Is it something that newbie fantasy players can use with confidence?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It's all good. I was a huge Rush fan growing up. Besides, whoever won it would be due to luck
            Now this is a man with some good musical taste!!

Perhaps the most misquoted line in RJ history. I never ever ever ever said winning a fantasy league was all luck. I have always said that luck plays a bigger role than we like to admit, that's all
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I see your point. Do you feel this draft is a good representation of the true values of the players taken? Is it something that newbie fantasy players can use with confidence?
              Here's the thing. Value is PAST TENSE. We won't know how valuable a player was until October. We're not drafting value, we're drafting potential.

I'm not naive - I know I'm picking semantic nits but if you think of things in terms of potential, it does give you a better perspective.

With that said, no draft/auction ever goes chalk (making the leap of faith there is actually a correct measure of value/potential). Drafters have different philosophies with respect to strategies

Safe versus upside
              Hitting versus pitching
              Scarcity versus best available
              etc.

Some prefer prospects while some prefer a track record
              Some avoid injury risks while some embrace the injury risk, hoping for more playing time and backfill if necessary
              Some avoid older players for fear of injury while others prefer the steady, boring but low upside production

etc

What I'm saying is we're picking from the same player pool as everyone else. Every draft/auction has its own personality. One move leads to the next and so on. Alter one pick somewhere and every ensuing pick may have been different.

Take the same 13 owners and mix up the drafting order and some players will be picked in completely different rounds - maybe 2 or 3 earlier/later.

Comment

Perhaps the most misquoted line in RJ history. I never ever ever ever said winning a fantasy league was all luck. I have always said that luck plays a bigger role than we like to admit, that's all
                MSN-Emoticon-fishing-175.jpg

Comment

Rush sucks, Todd.

In all seriousness, what's your preferred format? I suspect it's good to get your name out there and do a lot of drafts and auctions, but if you did just one league, what would you like it to be?
                  Last edited by chancellor; 01-18-2014, 05:17 PM.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Rush sucks, Todd.

In all seriousness, what's your preferred format? I suspect it's good to get your name out there and do a lot of drafts and auctions, but if you did just one league, what would you like it to be?
                    One league?

It would be a combo league where you play an AL auction, an NL auction, a mixed draft, a mixed auction, an AL draft, an NL draft, a Strat league and a Scoresheet league where you combine all the scores.

Truth be told of I'm only playing one league I could give a shit about getting my name out there and it would have to be an only league auction.

Comment

One league?

It would be a combo league where you play an AL auction, an NL auction, a mixed draft, a mixed auction, an AL draft, an NL draft, a Strat league and a Scoresheet league where you combine all the scores.

Truth be told of I'm only playing one league I could give a shit about getting my name out there and it would have to be an only league auction.
                      Todd--Do you play in a Strat league? I seem to be the only one around here that does.
                      拖裤子,
                      放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Here's the thing. Value is PAST TENSE. We won't know how valuable a player was until October. We're not drafting value, we're drafting potential.

I'm not naive - I know I'm picking semantic nits but if you think of things in terms of potential, it does give you a better perspective.

With that said, no draft/auction ever goes chalk (making the leap of faith there is actually a correct measure of value/potential). Drafters have different philosophies with respect to strategies

Safe versus upside
                        Hitting versus pitching
                        Scarcity versus best available
                        etc.

Some prefer prospects while some prefer a track record
                        Some avoid injury risks while some embrace the injury risk, hoping for more playing time and backfill if necessary
                        Some avoid older players for fear of injury while others prefer the steady, boring but low upside production

etc

What I'm saying is we're picking from the same player pool as everyone else. Every draft/auction has its own personality. One move leads to the next and so on. Alter one pick somewhere and every ensuing pick may have been different.

Take the same 13 owners and mix up the drafting order and some players will be picked in completely different rounds - maybe 2 or 3 earlier/later.
                        I did listen to the draft live that night on my cold, snowy, miserable drive home, and almost every guy that they interviewed said that they were essentially shooting for the moon. Different than a "normal" draft in that nobody cared about finishing in the money spots, since there were none. One contestant said that finishing 2nd was essentially the same as finishing 13th...true?
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I did listen to the draft live that night on my cold, snowy, miserable drive home, and almost every guy that they interviewed said that they were essentially shooting for the moon. Different than a "normal" draft in that nobody cared about finishing in the money spots, since there were none. One contestant said that finishing 2nd was essentially the same as finishing 13th...true?
                          As Kyle Elfrink and Jeff Erickson said on the air, they never once announced who finished in second (or third, or fourth....) last year. But they repeatedly announced "defending champions" or "last year's winners" etc.

Speaking as the defending champion (#humblebrag) other than ceding a few picks here and there to my partner Lawr Michaels (though most were mutually agreed upon) I drafted the same as i always do. Safe early, players I seem to favor over others in the middle with some dart throws late.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
                            Todd--Do you play in a Strat league? I seem to be the only one around here that does.
                            Yeah, I am by no means a Strat-head and I have a partner that does the dirty work actually playing the games but I play in an on-line league.

Comment

Yeah, I am by no means a Strat-head and I have a partner that does the dirty work actually playing the games but I play in an on-line league.
                              Cool. I enjoy Strat very much though playing the games online can be a pain esp with me living overseas. I played Pursue the Pennant in college and just started playing Strat. Here is the league I am in: www.westsideleague.com My team is San Francisco and I just took it over so I am in rebuild mode. Would love to get your opinion on my team esp. my young players/prospects.
                              拖裤子,
                              放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

The 2015 version of this takes place 7 pm tonight, broadcast on Sirius: http://www.rtsports.com/siriusxm

Comment

Working...
                                X