No announcement yet.

Balfour to the O's, errr, Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The O's could release the medicals if Balfour gave them permission to do so. Now that he has Eaton/Kremchek's info, I think his agency should grant the O's permission to release what they have. Puts the onus on them.

Meanwhille, I hope Balfour comes back to Tampa Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Agent/player approved doctors discussing the results. Dr's Eaton & Kremcheck are 2 of the best orthopedists in the business. The player isn't under contract with anyone, so he can do what he wants
      Exactly. Kremchek is regarded as one of the best in the business when it comes to sports orthopedics. I know some guys here who had knee work done by him, and they all swear by him (obviously not pro athletes, but still). I'd take his word over that of a doctor beholden to a team any day (unless it's the Reds, for whom he is the team doc).
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        That's horseshit, man. The O's, with their public release that Balfour's physical came up "less than desirable", are likely going to cost Balfour money. They could have kept everything silent until he was signed, but they started the process and then ended it all through the media. Balfour has every right to go to other doctors and make himself seem like a worthy and physically fit free agent again.

I think you're concentrating too much on the doctors and not on who is behind it. It's Balfour vs. the O's, and once the Orioles decided to let the world know that Balfour might have some problems in his shoulder, Balfour had to fight back. And one doctor says Balfour has shoulder issues and that's gospel? Again, horseshit. You get a second opinion. And a third. And then you have a much better scope of what's going on. Again, Balfour had to fight back somehow, and I think going to other docs and having them give their own professional opinions was the best means by which to do so.
        Let's get a few facts straight...first, there was never a contract between the two parties, only an agreement on a salary BASED on the results of a physical. A physical that the O's decided wasn't up to snuff in their opinion. Secondly, there is no evidence that Baltimore violated HIPPA or any other agreement, they simply said that they found something that concerned them, and called off the deal. As far as I know, nobody with the O's got any more specific than that. Third, the Reds doctor said today that he never actually saw the MRI, he just read the report and formed his judgments from that. The Rays doc did do another MRI, and his judgement was that nothing had significantly changed in three years, not that the player was 100 percent...both Doctors stated that every pitcher has some damage from the wear and tear of pitching.

Now, Balfour might go and finish his career with no issues, and he might blow out his arm this year...nobody can predict what will happen. What we do know is that one team allowed him to leave, and a second backed out after a physical.

As far as receiving any damage award...since there was no contract, it seems to me that it'll be tough if he gets another contract, which is highly likely.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Same division---new team
          Balfour to the Rays, per MLBTR
          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Thanks, Baltimore. Going to enjoy watching Balfour come out to save games vs the O's this year and shove it down their f'n throat

Comment

Rotoworld says 2 years, $12, which is $3 mil less than what the O's contract was.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm a die-hard O's fan, but I have Balfour in one of my leagues, so I have some divided loyalties. The Rays are a pretty smart club and have a lot less money than the O's, so if they gave him a clean bill of health and gave him almost the same money and years, I hate to say it, but it does appear to make my O's look bad rt now. What was the issue the O's found? Supposedly, it wasnt the shoulder, it was something else.

I think the current O's management has been pretty good, but this is the 2nd signing controversy that could end up embarrassing them. There was the deal about a year ago where they tried to sign a Korean kid which the KBO said was against their rules. The O's are big believers in biomechanical analysis for pitchers, which I think puts them ahead of the curve, but I dont know if this factored into their decision to change their mind about Balfour.

Oh yeah, the O's appear to be about to sign Rodney, so it's closer musical chairs between the O's, A's and Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                Rotoworld says 2 years, $12, which is $3 mil less than what the O's contract was.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm a die-hard O's fan, but I have Balfour in one of my leagues, so I have some divided loyalties. The Rays are a pretty smart club and have a lot less money than the O's, so if they gave him a clean bill of health and gave him almost the same money and years, I hate to say it, but it does appear to make my O's look bad rt now. What was the issue the O's found? Supposedly, it wasnt the shoulder, it was something else.

I think the current O's management has been pretty good, but this is the 2nd signing controversy that could end up embarrassing them. There was the deal about a year ago where they tried to sign a Korean kid which the KBO said was against their rules. The O's are big believers in biomechanical analysis for pitchers, which I think puts them ahead of the curve, but I dont know if this factored into their decision to change their mind about Balfour.

Oh yeah, the O's appear to be about to sign Rodney, so it's closer musical chairs between the O's, A's and Rays.
                If you get the Rodney of two years ago, it's all good for you. If you get last year's, it's still OK. If you get the one who pitched for Detroit and Anaheim, invest in antacids.

As for Balfour, he now has three million reasons to want to shove the ball down Baltimore's throat, but he should be careful. His regular stuff is good enough to get the job done, so there's no sense in overthrowing and making the O's supposed concerns come true.

It's a good deal for Tampa Bay IMO, and not exactly chicken feed for Balfour.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  The Orioles apparently pulled the same shenanigans about a physical with Tyler Colvin, apparently trying to get him to agree to a minor league deal instead of a major league one. They're killing themselves with this nonsense.
                  Yeah, even if there is reason, they feel, to do this, one is a blip, two is becoming a pattern. At this point, if I am a free agent, I am wary of trusting a contract offer from the Os.

Comment

I guess that at the end of the day, Baltimore was right to pass on Balfour, no matter what the reason, he's an effing mess...after tonight's blow-up, he's got a 5,60 ERA and a 1.58 WHIP. Oh yeah, it looks like the O's are going to be in 1st come the All-Star break...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

and yet he still hasn't lost time to injury. This is a mental issue, not a physical one.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        and yet he still hasn't lost time to injury. This is a mental issue, not a physical one.
                        Not buying into that for a second...the guy's in his 8th season and hasn't had a WHIP over 1.20 since 2009 and now he develops a mental tick? Not bloody likely, IMO...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Not buying into that for a second...the guy's in his 8th season and hasn't had a WHIP over 1.20 since 2009 and now he develops a mental tick? Not bloody likely, IMO...
                          Steve Blass Disease?

Comment

I suppose that it's possible, but it seems to be more than his control, which is awful. I still believe that Baltimore found something, it's supposedly his knees IIRC, and that scared them off. And no matter what the reason eventually turns out to be, they were right about not signing him.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The Rays aren't a team to toy around with injuries. If he was hurt, he would have been put on the DL already. Baltimore was scared off the arm, not the knee. The knee has been a known issue with him. His delivery & everything look the same as they always have but he has completely lost his fastball command and it appears 100% mental now. Good thig the Rays have another year of this!

Comment

Working...
                              X