Balfour to the O's, errr, Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balfour to the O's, errr, Rays

2 yrs, $15m. Given the other reliever deals out there, this one seems pretty tame.

It's a steal

They took the $10.8M they would have had to pay Johnson in arbitration and turned it into Balfour, Ryan Webb, and Jemile Weeks. Well played, O's!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      2 yrs, $15m. Given the other reliever deals out there, this one seems pretty tame.
      Isn't there some sort of vesting option that turns into a third year player option?
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Not so fast....deal is on hold due to a caution flag that was raised during his physical

Comment

Once again, it looks like Billy Beane is the smartest guy in the room...damn.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Sometimes there are real physical concerns--and sometimes there are others that have nothing to do with a player's physical condition. I'm not saying which category this falls in.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

they've bailed on him

Comment

that's f'ed up. Rays & Reds team doctors both did a MRI review of him today and signed off on it saying his shoulder looks like it did 3 years ago.

I hope the Rays bring him back just so he can pitch against Baltimore every time he wants

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

that's f'ed up. Rays & Reds team doctors both did a MRI review of him today and signed off on it saying his shoulder looks like it did 3 years ago.

I hope the Rays bring him back just so he can pitch against Baltimore every time he wants
                  The guy has had both shoulder surgery and TJ surgery, not to mention a knees surgery, so he's not exactly the picture of health. Add in the fact that he'll be 36 and maybe the O's simply had a case of buyers remorse, and decided they should cut bait while they still could. It's not like they don't have a few options internally, and Rodney is still floating around out there as well.

And why are the Rays and Reds team doctors publicly discussing the medical records of a player that they have no affiliation with? Seems to be more than a bit odd, and a tad unprofessional as well....

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Agent/player approved doctors discussing the results. Dr's Eaton & Kremcheck are 2 of the best orthopedists in the business. The player isn't under contract with anyone, so he can do what he wants

Comment

Personally, smells too much like a hired gun in a court case to me...something kind of unseemly about a Doctor that's eager to slag another's opinion. And that's essentially what it comes down to...

But I suspect that the O's simply looked at Balfour and said that they overreacted, and took this route out. Maybe they tried to work a deal Boston did with Napoli last season and Balfour wouldn't bite, but that's the only kind of a deal that he's going to get now...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Personally, smells too much like a hired gun in a court case to me...something kind of unseemly about a Doctor that's eager to slag another's opinion. And that's essentially what it comes down to...

But I suspect that the O's simply looked at Balfour and said that they overreacted, and took this route out. Maybe they tried to work a deal Boston did with Napoli last season and Balfour wouldn't bite, but that's the only kind of a deal that he's going to get now...
                        That's horseshit, man. The O's, with their public release that Balfour's physical came up "less than desirable", are likely going to cost Balfour money. They could have kept everything silent until he was signed, but they started the process and then ended it all through the media. Balfour has every right to go to other doctors and make himself seem like a worthy and physically fit free agent again.

I think you're concentrating too much on the doctors and not on who is behind it. It's Balfour vs. the O's, and once the Orioles decided to let the world know that Balfour might have some problems in his shoulder, Balfour had to fight back. And one doctor says Balfour has shoulder issues and that's gospel? Again, horseshit. You get a second opinion. And a third. And then you have a much better scope of what's going on. Again, Balfour had to fight back somehow, and I think going to other docs and having them give their own professional opinions was the best means by which to do so.

Comment

What are the O's suppose to do?

They looked at the medical reports and didn't want to invest in the guy. Are they STILL suppose to sign him? Get real ! This is why, virtually on every pre 'official' signing, you read the words: "joe blow just has to take his physical for the contract to be official".

I haven't read anything that attributes a specific quote to an actual oriole saying ball-four's shoulder looks bad. Nothing.

But I guess you guys want Baltimore to sign him and in May when his shoulder blows out or his elbow falls off, Baltimore's recourse is?

And just in case you all forgot, Billy B let ball four walk and instead took on a $10 million dollar closer...
                          Last edited by wannabegriffey; 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                            What are the O's suppose to do?

They looked at the medical reports and didn't want to invest in the guy. Are they STILL suppose to sign him? Get real ! This is why, virtually on every pre 'official' signing, you read the words: "joe blow just has to take his physical for the contract to be official".

I haven't read anything that attributes a specific quote to an actual oriole saying ball-four's shoulder looks bad. Nothing.

But I guess you guys want Baltimore to sign him and in May when his shoulder blows out or his elbow falls off, Baltimore's recourse is?

And just in case you all forgot, Billy B let ball four walk and instead took on a $10 million dollar closer...
                            I don't care one iota if Baltimore signs him or not. But they're the ones leaking the doctor report that Balfour's shoulder is questionable, and that isn't cool at all. Sign him, don't sign him, I don't care. But keep your HIPAA violating out of the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                              I don't care one iota if Baltimore signs him or not. But they're the ones leaking the doctor report that Balfour's shoulder is questionable, and that isn't cool at all. Sign him, don't sign him, I don't care. But keep your HIPAA violating out of the media.
                              I think it more likely the press who are speculating than the O's leaking anything. They released a statement saying they prefer to go in a different direction because their doctors saw something they didn't like.

Honestly, is there any other way for a player's health to look when a signing is announced and then the team says it isn't going through with the deal ?

Comment

Working...
                              X