No announcement yet.

2K24: Philadelphia Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I have no problem with the broadcasters doing that. Sure it's not something one of the classic broadcasters would do, but a lot of the new school broadcasting teams are about seeming like guys you would want to drink a beer with and watch the game. If I was at home watching the game with a buddy, we would probably do stupid superstitious shit to break up a no-hitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Again, reading comprehension REALLY lacking here. The two incidents are entirely unrelated. Sandberg quitting was an example of just how horrible an organization must be for a guy to quit one of only 30 such jobs in the world. Not because the idiot broadcasters did a homer stunt, and then congratulated themselves on it. Which happened AFTER Sandberg had already quit, IIRC...
      Then, writing skill really lacking, because you made them sound related.

Sandberg quit because the players hated him and he knew he was going to be fired at the end of the season or before.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post

Sandberg quit because the players hated him and he knew he was going to be fired at the end of the season or before.
        Being hated (an ineffective) in Philadelphia certainly isn't a reason to get fired. See: Ruben Jr.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• He'll be gone by the end of the year as well. God, I hope so.

Comment

LOL....yeah, it was entirely on me.

Thought One Even though we all know that it really didn't have an effect on Scherzer's bid for another no-hitter, it just shows what a shitty, hobo, hillbilly, organization the Phillies are. Thought Two I have a newfound respect for Sandberg for not wanting to be a part of that traveling carnival anymore...
            One leads to another...not one causes the other.

And a person quitting usually involves forfeiting the remainder of their their contract...that's a hell of a sacrifice for someone to make.
            Last edited by Hornsby; 06-28-2015, 08:06 PM.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

that's a hell of a sacrifice for someone to make.
              Not when you had a 15-year HOF career after 1976.

Comment

• Sandberg quit in his MLB career, too, at age 34 at midseason on a $6M contract. he came back more than a year later for $2.3M

there has never been a worse example of a "sacrifice" by a MLB MGR due to a bad organization than a rich ex-player who did the same thing 20 yrs earlier. the Phillies are a mess, but Sandberg quitting, again, tells anyone little about that. the idea that this MGR was stuck with such a brutal organization that he risked his financial future is a bizarre projection. no sacrifice. Ryne just gets bored
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Sandberg quit in his MLB career, too, at age 34 at midseason on a $6M contract. he came back more than a year later for $2.3M

there has never been a worse example of a "sacrifice" by a MLB MGR due to a bad organization than a rich ex-player who did the same thing 20 yrs earlier. the Phillies are a mess, but Sandberg quitting, again, tells anyone little about that. the idea that this MGR was stuck with such a brutal organization that he risked his financial future is a bizarre projection. no sacrifice. Ryne just gets bored
                  Again, wild speculation about something that I never said...I said "it's a hell of a sacrifice", no more, no less. NOTHING at all about his risking his financial future...

It's probably safe to say that he was making at least a million a year, and probably more, since Manuel was making 2.4 according to the last figure that Cot's has. So while we won't likely be holding any benefits for Sandberg soon, tossing a half a million, or more aside, isn't anything that's an easy decision to make.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• It's a poorly kept secret that Andy MacPhail will be hired sometime between now and the end of the year to take over as team president. He will presumably pick his own GM who will pick his own manager. MacPhail was part of the Cubs' braintrust when they passed over Sandberg for their manager job, so that could also be a factor here.

Comment

One leads to another...not one causes the other.
                      It's still poorly worded. If they are separate thoughts, separate them more distinctly.

Comment

It's still poorly worded. If they are separate thoughts, separate them more distinctly.
                        Thought One: Even though we all know that it really didn't have an effect on Scherzer's bid for another no-hitter, it just shows what a shitty, hobo, hillbilly, organization the Phillies are.

Thought Two: I have a newfound respect for Sandberg for not wanting to be a part of that traveling carnival anymore...
                        There...is that easier for you to follow now?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

It's a poorly kept secret that Andy MacPhail will be hired sometime between now and the end of the year to take over as team president. He will presumably pick his own GM who will pick his own manager. MacPhail was part of the Cubs' braintrust when they passed over Sandberg for their manager job, so that could also be a factor here.
                          And the MacPhail hiring was officially announced today. Other sites are saying that in his presser, he:

Said the checkbook is open for FA and front office/coach positions.
                          Said that he believes in sabermetrics.
                          Indicated that the next manager will come from outside the organization.
                          Implied that Amaro is gone after this year.

That's certainly what knowledgeable Phillies fans want to hear. Whether he follows through, we'll see.

Comment

• I hope they finally cut ties with Bowa once and for all.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I hope they finally cut ties with Bowa once and for all.
                              There's definitely an "old boys" permajob program they've got going on there: Bowa, Manuel, Dallas Green, Ed Wade, Gillick before he took an active role this year, etc. Pretty much everyone who has managed or GM'd the team in the past 35 years is on the payroll as a "consultant" or whatever. That's a product of David Montgomery and the other owners, so I don't know if the hiring of MacPhail by itself will change that. John Middleton becoming majority owner might, but that is being held up by a legal battle with his sister.

Comment

• Middleton spoke at the press conference, which I believe is the first time he's ever spoken on the record about the team. He made it clear that he wasn't going to hire anyone who wasn't interested in using sabermetrics. MacPhail said he will be bringing aboard people who are good at that.

Officially MacPhail is a special assistant to Gillick until the end of the season, then will take over as president. Gillick and Amaro will handle trades for the rest of the year but MacPhail will have input.

As someone on a Phillies board I visit put it:

To summarize:
                                - Amaro is a dead man.
                                - Middleton is waving his junk around like the bad ass on the block.
                                - MacPhail likes sabermetrics and has an open checkbook
                                - Manager is going to be someone outside of Philly.
                                - Amaro is a dead man.
                                And someone else on that board, channeling Hornsby, said:

Seriously this press conference was a "we need change in the TV booth" away from being perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X