• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the closer situation settled?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Judging from how the rotation is faring so far, it doesn't seem likely to matter who is named the closer!

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
        Nope. Not at all. Tony Gwynn Jr. is making a case, especially if they can move Mayberry, since he can play CF.
        Looks like Ruf will start the season on the DL, so Mayberry may be needed for a bit.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The 'Stros demoted Springer, Singleton, Foltenywicz, Appel, Correa & DeShields today. So time to revise projections on Springer & Singleton, if you had thought they would be up before June.

Comment

Does anyone seeing HOU making a move with regards to 1B?? I've heard some rumors.

I mean, no offense to Marc Krauss and Jesus Guzman, but they have to do something, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Does anyone seeing HOU making a move with regards to 1B?? I've heard some rumors.

I mean, no offense to Marc Krauss and Jesus Guzman, but they have to do something, right?
              They can always just trot Carter out there and rotate players at DH.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                The 'Stros demoted Springer, Singleton, Foltenywicz, Appel, Correa & DeShields today. So time to revise projections on Springer & Singleton, if you had thought they would be up before June.
                I already had Springer written down for a half year of stats. Hopefully, 15/15 with a .280 avg in the second half.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Not officially. You have to read the tea leaves.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

The organization looks a lot deeper at all minor league levels but the big league team on opening day won't be a big improvement over last year's club. I guess Fowler is a step up and maybe Feldman is better than Bud Norris but avoiding another 100 loss season is going to take some work.

Comment

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
                      (03/26/14) Outfielder Robbie Grossman has used his penchant for a high on-base percentage to land the second spot in the Astros lineup. Jose Altuve had been slated for that spot heading into spring training, but he will bat cleanup behind catcher Jason Castro.
                      Any time your 5'4 second baseman can hit cleanup, you've gotta do that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        Marty Gitlin writes for The Onion, right?
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          What else are they going to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            What else are they going to do?
                            fowler
                            grossman
                            castro
                            carter
                            altuve

???

swap altuve and grossman if you think they have roughly equal OBA. carter's career OBA is ugly (.315) but is really only about 20 points less than either grossman or altuve. castro's isn't much better, but if you exclude his awful 2010 it's quite a bit better...
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

They actually have 2 solid OBP guys in Grossman and Fowler, and then I guess Castro is their best hitter. After that you might as well go 4-9 in descending order and maybe Altuve is the best guy left. Altuve is probably not as well suited for the 1-2 holes given his lower OBP. It's actually a smart decision, it just seems funny.

It's sort of the way I usually set up my sim teams. Once you run out of good OBP guys, you can use a high AVG, low walk guy who isn't going to pass the buck to your crappy hitters by taking a walk.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                                fowler
                                grossman
                                castro
                                carter
                                altuve

???

swap altuve and grossman if you think they have roughly equal OBA. carter's career OBA is ugly (.315) but is really only about 20 points less than either grossman or altuve. castro's isn't much better, but if you exclude his awful 2010 it's quite a bit better...
                                No reason to have Grossman hit 5th. If you feel he's one of the 3 best hitters on the team, then he needs to bat in the top 4. Leverage those OBP skills

Comment

Working...
                                X