2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
    It's only "unfair" in the same sense that the "franchise tag" is unfair in the NFL. They negotiated it. Once negotiated, there isn't really a fair or unfair. There's just regret or no regret for negotiating it in the first place.

In a way it's doing exactly what it was intended to do. It's an attempt to get players to stay with the team they are already playing for. Same as the NFL "franchise tag". I don't really feel all that bad for these guys any more than I do for the guys who get franchised in the NFL. Rough life getting offered $15M per year to not leave.
    I agree that they certainly regret accepting it in the last CBA. This CBA expires on 12/1/16, and I guarantee it will not be in the next CBA in this current form.

But I disagree that it's similar to the franchise tag, or even the transition tag in the NFL. For the NFL players who get tagged, it's at the beginning of the process and they remain under contract, and if a team wants to sign a transitioned tagged player (they can't sign a franchised player), they have to give up two number one picks. But the player can't lose, because he's already under a guaranteed contract to whatever the transition tag amount is for that season.

But under the QO system, there's no guarantees -- either the player accepts the offer or he doesn't and plays the market. And for some it's a no-brainer to pass, but for the middle tier of FAs, it's become quite the gamble because teams don't want to part with a 1st rounder for a short-term asset.

In the NFL, the teams have the right of first refusal. In MLB, the players have the right of first refusal, and a few agents have misjudged it to the players disadvantage.

I cannot imagine the pain of leaving nearly 100 MILLION DOLLARS on the table. Wow. I mean, sure, $8M is a ton of money - more than I'll earn in my entire lifetime. But holy cow this backfired on Desmond in the most horrific of ways. If he doesn't dramatically improve from last year, he's not going to see any sort of epic contract next year either. He's already on the wrong side of 30 and trending steeply down.
    An epic misjudgment. The dollars are obviously much, much larger, but Desmond left 93% of his offer on the table compared to Reed's 96%!

Comment

• To add insult to injury, the Rangers can hold Desmond up again next year with another qualifying offer, unless the CBA changes.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree that they certainly regret accepting it in the last CBA. This CBA expires on 12/1/16, and I guarantee it will not be in the next CBA in this current form.

But I disagree that it's similar to the franchise tag, or even the transition tag in the NFL. For the NFL players who get tagged, it's at the beginning of the process and they remain under contract, and if a team wants to sign a transitioned tagged player (they can't sign a franchised player), they have to give up two number one picks. But the player can't lose, because he's already under a guaranteed contract to whatever the transition tag amount is for that season.

But under the QO system, there's no guarantees -- either the player accepts the offer or he doesn't and plays the market. And for some it's a no-brainer to pass, but for the middle tier of FAs, it's become quite the gamble because teams don't want to part with a 1st rounder for a short-term asset.

In the NFL, the teams have the right of first refusal. In MLB, the players have the right of first refusal, and a few agents have misjudged it to the players disadvantage.

An epic misjudgment. The dollars are obviously much, much larger, but Desmond left 93% of his offer on the table compared to Reed's 96%!
        Depends on how you look at it. It seems to me that a player who receives a qualifying offer IS guaranteed a contract. He just has the ability to decline that guaranteed contract. Which is actually BETTER than what an NFL player has to go through. An NFL player doesn't have an option. An NFL player can usually make far more on the open market, but if he gets slapped with a tag, he's stuck. MLB players at least have the option to decline that qualifying offer (which I would say is a "gauranteed $$$ contract") and seek something better. If MLB was like the NFL, Ian Desmond would have been forced to take the $15M qualifying offer, and he wouldn't have been able to screw himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
          Depends on how you look at it. It seems to me that a player who receives a qualifying offer IS guaranteed a contract. He just has the ability to decline that guaranteed contract. Which is actually BETTER than what an NFL player has to go through. An NFL player doesn't have an option. An NFL player can usually make far more on the open market, but if he gets slapped with a tag, he's stuck. MLB players at least have the option to decline that qualifying offer (which I would say is a "gauranteed $$$ contract") and seek something better. If MLB was like the NFL, Ian Desmond would have been forced to take the $15M qualifying offer, and he wouldn't have been able to screw himself.
          Yes, that's exactly it. But Desmond got screwed, at least in my opinion, in that the 1st rd pick loss was attached to him. Maybe I'm wrong, but many more teams would have been interested in him had the pick loss not been attached.

Comment

• 10 teams could have signed him and not given up the pick. It was telling the White Sox chose to roster the fossil Jimmy Rollins over Desmond as they were one of the teams that didn't have to surrender a pick. Desmond's K% has declined each of the past four seasons and his offensive production has done the same. He picked a fine time to put up a stinker of a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              10 teams could have signed him and not given up the pick. It was telling the White Sox chose to roster the fossil Jimmy Rollins over Desmond as they were one of the teams that didn't have to surrender a pick. Desmond's K% has declined each of the past four seasons and his offensive production has done the same. He picked a fine time to put up a stinker of a season.
              I'm guessing that a lot of the White Sox hesitancy is because they think that Tim Anderson may be ready to take over SS by mid-season. No reason to tie up that position with as MJ put it, declined in almost all phases of the game. Better to have a vet play the position, and be in place to mentor Anderson, when it comes to that.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I'm guessing that a lot of the White Sox hesitancy is because they think that Tim Anderson may be ready to take over SS by mid-season. No reason to tie up that position with as MJ put it, declined in almost all phases of the game. Better to have a vet play the position, and be in place to mentor Anderson, when it comes to that.
                +1

I wonder why no one tried to sign him as a utility player before this. With the Rangers he may wind up playing everything but C.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• The Rangers received a double dose of bad news Sunday morning, as outfielder Shin-Soo Choo and catcher Robinson Chirinos are both headed to the disabled list.

Choo is expected to miss four to six weeks with a Grade 2 strained right calf and will be placed on the 15-day DL. Chirinos has a broken right forearm and will be out 10-12 weeks. The catcher is going on the 60-day DL.

One of the callups will be outfielder Nomar Mazara, the No. 3 Rangers prospect per MLB Pipeline. The other move has yet to be announced.

Coverage includes audio and video clips, interviews, statistics, schedules and exclusive stories.

Comment

• Love Mazara. If he plays every day and hits 2nd... wow. When Choo comes back they may not be able to send him down.

Rangers almost have to trade for a catcher now - I know they tried to get Norris from SD (Norris/cashner for Profar was rumored but TEX backed off) but they could maybe also look at Lucroy, or one of the veterans floating around the NL rebuilders (Chooch, Pierzynski).

Comment

• If I'm a DeShields owner (& I am), I'm worried. If Mazara plays well while Choo is out, DeShields could be the odd man out once Choo comes back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        If I'm a DeShields owner (& I am), I'm worried. If Mazara plays well while Choo is out, DeShields could be the odd man out once Choo comes back.
                        Will they stick Choo in CF? Or maybe Desmond could play it?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Will they stick Choo in CF? Or maybe Desmond could play it?
                          Desmond, from what I've seen, is below average in LF. I just can't see him in CF at all.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Desmond, from what I've seen, is below average in LF. I just can't see him in CF at all.
                            Agreed. He looks like a career IF subbing in the OF. There still has some speed, but it's middling good, and his jumps stink.

On a vaguely related note, Mickey Stanley, vaccuum cleaner CF, was once asked to play SS in the WS. It worked.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Desmond has been pretty terrible so far and I think he has proven that the .230 batting average his last year in Washington wasnt a fluke. Is it possible he has a short leash in Texas? I'd imagine that when Choo and Hamilton are back that perhaps Desmond is the odd man out...or am I making too many early assumptions?

Comment

• Guys, guys, guys! its only week 2 still!! granted, it is concerning, but im not ready to cut bait until after a month at least. I own him in a 14 team h2h as my SS and there just arent that many more upside plays on the wire.

Comment

Working...
                                X