2K24: Milwaukee Brewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Haven't heard anything myself, but without a clear replacement on their roster I don't see why they wouldn't bring him back unless he's asking for way too much money.
    I could see him asking for a big contract since he's put up some really good numbers this year and the Brewers not wanting to pay it.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Do you (or anyone else) know if there has been any word from the Brewers about re-signing him?

I can get him in a deal and he'd be $4 next year but it's an NL only and if he signs with an AL team I'm out of luck.
      I would guess that there is a pretty good chance that he's closing for the Brewers next year, but I haven't heard anything about the Brewers offering him an extension and I wouldn't expect them to offer him a deal until after the season ends.

Comment

How do you place Jean Segura?

His after AS OPS is .100 higher than his before AS OPS. His 2nd half numbers for 2014: .271/.330/.345, 1 HR, 5 SB.
        This includes .172/.262/.224 in 58 AB July

Steamer has him halfway between 2013 and 2014, but with SB down to 2014 levels:

.266/.310/.376, 8 HR, 21 SB

I look for better than that, but he may bat low in the order. Early rankings have him in the 150-200 range, down 100+ from last year.

He's only 24. What do you think?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Segura is a huge question mark. I think it is pretty obvious that his July numbers are related to the death of his baby boy. Seemed like he was turning it around by years end, but he is a big mystery to me. I'm probably looking elsewhere, unless he is fairly cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            Segura is a huge question mark. I think it is pretty obvious that his July numbers are related to the death of his baby boy. Seemed like he was turning it around by years end, but he is a big mystery to me. I'm probably looking elsewhere, unless he is fairly cheap.
            Good plan, IMO. I think he'll be good for 27-31 SBs, but the power numbers of a couple years ago were an illusion. BA's the risk with him, IMO - he ought to be around .275, but he gets into devastating funks and he's sometimes not found ways to get out of them until his BA craters.

He does have upside - if he starts hot, he may well be moved into the two slot behind Gomez, or if the Brewers need Gomez's power in the 3-4 slot, even leadoff isn't out of the question. But I'd pay for him on the basis of hitting 7th or 8th most of the time.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I started writing this post a while ago, but never got around to finishing it. Sorry it's late, but hopefully this helps you guys with some in season pickups.

Catcher
              Jonathan Lucroy is going to get the majority of the starts behind the plate but he will also be getting starts against lefties at 1B. This opens up a bit more playing time for Martin Maldonado, but not enough to make him fantasy relevant. The Brewers still don't have any catchers in the minor leagues to get excited over.

First Base
              The Brewers got Adam Lind from the Blue Jays in the off-season and if he's healthy, then he should get the vast majority of ABs against righties. Right now, Jonathan Lucroy will be the other part of the platoon. If/when Lind gets hurt then things get a bit more complicated. Gerardo Parra has been practicing at 1B and is the most likely candidate to get the ABs. If Lind were to miss significant time though, then Matt Clark would probably get called back up. Clark is worth keeping an eye on if you need power and don't care about your batting average. Luis Jimenez, Shane Peterson and Jason Rogers are the other options after Parra and Clark. David Denson is a name worth remembering for the future. He's a few years away, but he's a big kid with power that can draw a walk.

Second Base
              Scooter Gennett has taken over 2B on a full-time basis and is battling Carlos Gomez for the lead-off spot. If he can't hit lefties though he could end up back in a platoon. Hector Gomez and Luis Sardinas would be the likely beneficiaries. Gomez has some decent pop in his bat and Sardinas has speed on his side, but its hard to see either of them taking enough ABs from Gennett to be fantasy relevant. The Brewers top prospect, Orlando Arcia, should be factoring into the 2B/SS playing time discussion in the next year or two.

Third Base
              Aramis Ramirez is back for one more year. Luis Jimenez is going to be the primary backup and he has hit pretty well in the minors (although he didn't show much in his limited playing time with the Angels). Jason Rogers has a solid bat and should be next in line, but it sounds like Roenicke doesn't like his defense at 3B. If the Brewers pass over Rogers because of his defense, then Hector Gomez and Luis Sardinas would factor be the next options. After that the pipeline is pretty barren for the next 3+ years. At that point, hopefully Jake Gatewood and/or Gilbert Lara are ready to take over at 3B.

Shortstop
              Jean Segura had a hot end of the season and is hopefully ready to rebound this year. The Brewers will give him a pretty long leash this year, but they do have some options if he doesn't rebound (it's all the same guys I listed under 2B, minus Gennett).

Outfield
              The starters in outfield will be Khris Davis in LF, Carlos Gomez in CF and Ryan Braun in RF. The big news here is that Braun's thumb hasn't been an issue since his off-season procedure to freeze the nerve. Gerardo Parra will be the 4th outfielder and may be in a weak platoon with Davis in order to get some playing time. Shane Peterson and Logan Schafer are also in the mix, but they would need a few injuries before they would start seeing the field on a regular basis. The Brewers have got some interesting outfield bats (Tyrone Taylor, Michael Reed, Victor Roache, Clint Coulter and Monte Harrison), but they are all at least a year away.

Starting Pitchers
              The Brewers had 6 guys competing for 5 spots and fixed that by sending Gallardo to Texas. That sets the starting five with Kyle Lohse, Matt Garza, Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers and Jimmy Nelson. This isn't actually that bad of a rotation, as long as guys stay healthy. If an injury happens then expect to see one of Tyler Thornburg or Taylor Jungmann filling in. Thornburg was a lock to make the opening day roster as a reliever, but now it sounds like they may send him to AAA to keep him stretched out. The depth should improve over the next season as the guys in AA get closer to the majors.

Bullpen
              Francisco Rodriguez is the Brewers closer for the foreseeable future. Jonathan Broxton is the next guy in line should anything happen to K-Rod this season. There won't be many save opportunities for anyone else as long as those two are healthy and not imploding. If it does come to a 3rd option then Will Smith and Jeremy Jeffress would be the best bet to step in (Tyler Thornburg would also be an option if he's not starting). Cory Knebel probably won't get much of a chance this year, but he should be an option next year. One guy that you can rule out is Jim Henderson. He lost his velocity lost year and without it he's toast.

Comment

Condolences to the Kyle Lohse owners out there...not the best way to open a season...

Comment

Braun also left the game with a rib injury. Not the best day for the Brewers.

Comment

Loshe, Lester and Hamels were supposed to be the core of my pitching staff, not the anchors.
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Segura this | | close to losing his face tonight. About an inch lower and he takes a lyles splitter between the eyes.

Comment

Brewers canned manager Ron Roenicke.

Comment

My main pen in a no-bench league is K-Rod 2/Broxton 1. nice value if they are mediocre, but Maytag repairmen when they lose every game.

I welcome the new overlord - might be Craig Counsell...
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            I welcome the new overlord - might be Craig Counsell...
                            That'd be where I'd put my money, especially given the new manager will be named tomorrow morning.

Comment

Jean Segura has a broken pinkie and will be out for "several weeks."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Jean Segura has a broken pinkie and will be out for "several weeks."
                                Broken finger of the throwing hand. This will take a while.

Luis Sardinas will probably cover the innings, but don't expect much fantasy production.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X