No announcement yet.

2K24: Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'he is suppose/expected to play at this position' game in the majors, that's good for your league but not mine.'

that's an entirely different issue. and yes, we go by the scary "common sense" idea there as well - if a team has announced that Joe Blow is the starting 2B for the season, and it's a day before the season, yeah, he's a 2B. but again, that's an entirely different issue. the fact that the Cubs play in the NL makes it even more preposterous to pretend the following season that anyone on the Cubs is a DH, though, so bonus points for that.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Maybe install a minimum major league games played rule for players who were up, say, less than 20 games in the majors you default to his minor league eligibility. Otherwise, by that technicality, every other player who has not debuted yet could be considered a DH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        ... and yes, we go by the scary "common sense" idea there as well ...
        given some leagues I've been in, I do like the idea of a hard & fast rule (I like BB's rule); as someone once said, the problem with common sense is that it isn't.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          given some leagues I've been in, I do like the idea of a hard & fast rule (I like BB's rule); as someone once said, the problem with common sense is that it isn't.
          "eligible at the position he played most often in the minors the year before" - what's the 'not hard and fast' part? that 101 fix is easy. the one about "new position if by all accounts he will be the regular at that spot to start the season" is the 201 for the advanced kids.

now, it could help to add, as noted, "minors position in play only if the player appeared in more games in minors than majors last year, and only if at least x games in majors" or whatever is fine, too.

I can't imagine someone drafting Schwarber, then if it plays out as suggested, he can't open the season with him as a catcher. news flash: HE'S A CATCHER.

(and yeah, down the road maybe not anymore. but for now....)
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            "eligible at the position he played most often in the minors the year before" - what's the 'not hard and fast' part? that 101 fix is easy. the one about "new position if by all accounts he will be the regular at that spot to start the season" is the 201 for the advanced kids.

now, it could help to add, as noted, "minors position in play only if the player appeared in more games in minors than majors last year, and only if at least x games in majors" or whatever is fine, too.

I can't imagine someone drafting Schwarber, then if it plays out as suggested, he can't open the season with him as a catcher. news flash: HE'S A CATCHER.

(and yeah, down the road maybe not anymore. but for now....)
            At worst case scenario I put him in my UT for 5 games with a $1 backup catcher. And that is after the auction. In my world he is free until 125 abs.

Comment

• And in most leagues, 5-10 games next season makes him eligible at his regular position...much ado about nothing.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Here's an easy, if not exact, fix -- 86 the antiquated and cockamamie rule many fantasy leagues use about drafting starters before reserves. If you want to draft Schwarber knowing you can't use him for the season's first 5-10 games (depending on your league's eligibility requirements), so be it. Feel free to pick a catcher off waivers instead of needing to draft one.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Here's an easy, if not exact, fix -- 86 the antiquated and cockamamie rule many fantasy leagues use about drafting starters before reserves. If you want to draft Schwarber knowing you can't use him for the season's first 5-10 games (depending on your league's eligibility requirements), so be it. Feel free to pick a catcher off waivers instead of needing to draft one.
                  I agree. One oddball format that appealed to me, although I've never tried it, had all the separate rosters drawing from the same pool of money. So your actives, bench and minors were all from the same budget. You could spend everything on your active roster and leave $1 minor league guys or you could really build for the future. Sounded interesting to me, at least.

Comment

• Is there any chance of Bryant playing some more outfield? I need another 5 games for him to be eligible there in my league. Currently have him at UT (Moustakis at 3B), but the extra flexibility would be nice.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Is there any chance of Bryant playing some more outfield? I need another 5 games for him to be eligible there in my league. Currently have him at UT (Moustakis at 3B), but the extra flexibility would be nice.
                      With the current 25-man roster configuration, probably not as a starter IMHO. Only Bryant and Herrera are experienced at 3B, so with Herrera also backing up 2B, Bryant will typically man 3B or get a day of rest. Since the Cubs are carrying 3 catchers right now, Schwarber would be more likely to play OF in a pinch instead of Bryant. Only if Baez were to be promoted before September would I see Bryant getting some outfield starts. Come September 1st, the Cubs should be hip deep in OFers (w/ Lake, Szczur, Baxter, and Alcantara likely to be called up), so playing someone out of position will be less likely down the stretch.

Comment

• 5 games is a bit much. I could see him getting moved to OF on a double switch if Herrera was coming into the game, but I doubt that specific event happens five more times this season, much less anytime soon.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• With Soler injured for the next month and Montero hitting very well over the past week or so, I can't currently see Schwarber shifting from LF very often down the stretch. If the Cubs were somehow to have their playoff fate locked up a bit early, I can see him getting a few starts at catcher in late September. Four might be difficult to reach. I can see some late inning shifts to catcher happening once rosters expand next week, but it would otherwise take another Montero injury to get the kid behind the plate consistently.

And to be fair, Schwarber is having some issues getting hits lately (8 over 43 ABs in past 2 weeks, 0.186 BA), but when 6 of those hits are HRs, you do not complain that much.
                          Last edited by Davros; 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Unfortunately for keeper leagues, he's at 16 games behind the plate for the time being. Will he get 4 more starts at catcher in order to be C eligible in most leagues next year?
                            They won't be starts (unless Montero gets hurt). He hasn’t caught since Montero returned from the disabled list on 8/7. If he gets four more appearances behind the plate, it will be because of juggling positions during the game. With Montero under contract for two more years, many in Chicago are betting that Schwarber never starts at catcher again (which also locks-in Kris Bryant at 3B for the next couple of years as well).

Comment

• He got the start at catcher today for some reason, so that's promising.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                He got the start at catcher today for some reason, so that's promising.
                                Resting Montero.

Comment

Working...
                                X