2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....beat ya to it!
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
      Butler as protection for Cano would make a lot of sense to me.
      Yeah, Seattle needs to protect him.......just not seeing Smoak as 'protection'

Comment

As long as Franklin stays in the AL.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            or gets packaged with Tijuan Walker for Price....
            From RotoWorld:

Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that any package the Mariners put together for David Price would have to include Taijuan Walker.
            It's certainly no surprise. The Mariners have a nice collection of young talent, but they'll have to part with their top prospect if they want to swing a deal for one of the game's best pitchers. Nick Franklin or Brad Miller are guys that could also be included in a package for Price, as the M's no longer have a starting spot for both of them with Robinson Cano on board.

I also read they are talking to Choo, Beltran and Cruz. So maybe they will just sign the protection for Cano and trade for Price. Felix, Price and Iwakuma. Does it matter who's 4th and 5th?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The other thing with Seattle is prior to the Cano deal they only had $36M committed to players so far. They are now up to $51M. Recently they've had a salary around $85M, they've been as high as $117M in 2008. Granted the $36M I am talking about is for only five players but most of their young players are making well under $1M. Only Smoak and Saunders are going into their first year of arbitration. Everyone else is still pre-arbitration. They can sign a few more big names and fill out the roster with those cheap players and stay within their payroll budget.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                From RotoWorld:

Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that any package the Mariners put together for David Price would have to include Taijuan Walker.
                It's certainly no surprise. The Mariners have a nice collection of young talent, but they'll have to part with their top prospect if they want to swing a deal for one of the game's best pitchers. Nick Franklin or Brad Miller are guys that could also be included in a package for Price, as the M's no longer have a starting spot for both of them with Robinson Cano on board.

I also read they are talking to Choo, Beltran and Cruz. So maybe they will just sign the protection for Cano and trade for Price. Felix, Price and Iwakuma. Does it matter who's 4th and 5th?
                Here's the deal with Miller vs. Franklin. Miller is very capable of playing shortstop, could eventually be an asset on defense, has a good approach at the plate, and he's got all the intangibles (hustles, is always upbeat, etc.) that teams and coaches love. While Franklin is plenty talented in his own right on the hitting side, he's not a good defender and may never be one, and that's only at second base. He's horrific at shortstop and should never play there for a Major League team. Miller, as I currently have him ranked, is the only other offensive player on the team for 2014 beyond Cano and Seager that could conceivably be considered average or above. There's very little chance the M's move him, especially since it would open up a new hole at shortstop. I'm not saying he's untouchable, but he's pretty close.

Comment

I posted this in the Yankees thread and thought it may be of interest here--

Just in case anyone was wondering--

Doing a VERY rough cut of Cano's deal with Seattle for $24 million per year, given the tax rates of New York State and City and that the state of Washington has no state income tax, the Yankees would have had to offer between $25.44 and $26.95 million per year for the after-tax numbers to come out evenly. New York state taxes top out at 8.82% on taxable income over $2 million, and NYC taxes top out at 3.876% on taxable income over $500,000. You can see why Captain Intangibles tried and failed to claim Florida residency a few years ago.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Would Walker, Franklin and Montero be fair for Price (from both sides)?

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Would Walker, Franklin and Montero be fair for Price (from both sides)?
                      Anything more than Walker is pretty stupid if you're the M's. Besides, I think Franklin will soon be on his way to KC for Billy Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                        Anything more than Walker is pretty stupid if you're the M's. Besides, I think Franklin will soon be on his way to KC for Billy Butler.
                        But if they get Butler and keep Smoak, that closes off the chances of Montero regaining a spot on the major league roster. So, why not toss him into the deal, perhaps for a minor leaguer?
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                          But if they get Butler and keep Smoak, that closes off the chances of Montero regaining a spot on the major league roster. So, why not toss him into the deal, perhaps for a minor leaguer?
                          It's possible, but it seems unlikely. The M's know Smoak is a crappy player at this point. There's still some slim hope that Montero may end up being useful, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                            Isn't Billy Butler Kendrey Morales????
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              I think a lot of that depends on how much you think 2013 was a fluke for Butler. And, he's 3 yrs younger than Kendrys, too. I tend to think Butler is quite a bit more valuable of an offensive player.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Essentially, but there's also the draft pick compensation to consider. The M's get an extra pick if they let Morales sign elsewhere. They're already losing a second rounder for signing Cano, so every pick helps. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X