No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and now the Yankees can come in with a "if you sign by midnight tonite we'll go to 7/180 and throw in a set of ginsu steak knives ... otherwise we might have to back off completely ... "
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      And if he ends up taking the $175M deal from the Yanks, he will have cost his client $50M. Sure, the Bhobs and JCs will spin it in a pro-NY light but that would be a legendary fail. I'd be surprised if more high-profile free agents would ever want to sign with Roc Nation after that kind of an embarrassing debacle.
      and the Yankees know it. so they'll give him a small - very small - concession so that he can spin it from a PR perspective, but you're right, this will not get a cadre of players lining up to join.

Then again, JZ can say screw it, we'll take whatever the Mariners come up with - 225 or thereabouts - and try to put a winning spin on that. But I gotta believe that is not the win they're looking for.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        And if he ends up taking the $175M deal from the Yanks, he will have cost his client $50M. Sure, the Bhobs and JCs will spin it in a pro-NY light but that would be a legendary fail. I'd be surprised if more high-profile free agents would ever want to sign with Roc Nation after that kind of an embarrassing debacle.
        Look at their client list. I don't think Jay-Z is trying to recruit hundreds of athletes. He only wants a few elite ones. Now, this could still hurt his chances with those guys too, but if he's selling a lifestyle and nothing more, maybe it doesn't hurt as much.

I'm not trying to "spin" anything. It is obviously bad if Cano loses out on 50mil. But we don't know how serious he really was about going to Seattle in the first place. Was he really prepared to take 9/225 before Jay-Z opened his mouth and torpedoed things? Or was that all planned ahead of time?

Cano says he won't give the Yankees a hometown discount. If that's true and the Mariners really still have their offer on the table, he has to take it. But if the Ms pulled their offer, it's not a hometown discount if the Yankees' offer is the only offer.

I expect we'll probably see Jay-Z try to stir up some interest in other places (LAA, DET, TEX, NYM I guess) before anything is decided.

Comment

and now it's back on!

Comment

Cano is a Mariner -- 10/240 according to ESPNDeportes

The second baseman
            Robinson Cano and the Seattle Mariners have agreed to sign a contract for 10 years and $ 240 million, a source of said full credit toESPNdeportes.com .

Comment

Jay-Z is da MAN!!!

Comment

$24 million a year is a lot of dead money for a franchise like Seattle when Cano is done after 7 seasons or so. Cano signed his ticket out of NY when he left Boras for Jay-Z. There was something not right about the Yanks perceived lack of interest in negociating with Cano's group. I really don't think they cared whether he stayed or left.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Cano is a Mariner -- 10/240 according to ESPNDeportes

The second baseman
                  Robinson Cano and the Seattle Mariners have agreed to sign a contract for 10 years and $ 240 million, a source of said full credit toESPNdeportes.com .
                  so - Seattle time, this came out between 7 & 8 am - they must have pulled an all-nighter ... good strategy by Jay-Z, he would have better endurance in the wee hours of the morning ...

Comment

I won't believe it until the Mariners and Jay-Z confirm it, and probably not until the deal is signed and approved by MLB. Too much soap opera.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

So what happens to Nick Franklin now?
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        So what happens to Nick Franklin now?
                        Rumor is he gets swapped for Billy Butler

Comment

Ya'll might want to but Jay Z's first hit was, "Can't Knock the Hustle"
                          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            or gets packaged with Tijuan Walker for Price....
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Or with Walker to Tampa in the package for Price.

Comment

Butler as protection for Cano would make a lot of sense to me.
                                Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X