2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Mather will be exhibit A for the 2022 MLBPA strike. I imagine he will be fired soon. The first rule of front office club is that no one talks about front office club.
    Yup. They just beat Kris Bryant, and here he is spouting off about it. LOL. I give it a week until he’s gone.

Comment

Mather will be exhibit A for the 2022 MLBPA strike. I imagine he will be fired soon. The first rule of front office club is that you don't talk about front office club.
      Yup. Add in a dose of condescending, a heavy scoop of arrogant, and a dollop of entitled, and I think the Mather coffee will be cooked.

Must have been a crappy 6-year offer to Kelenic, too.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Yup. Add in a dose of condescending, a heavy scoop of arrogant, and a dollop of entitled, and I think the Mather coffee will be cooked.

He got a 4.5mil signing bonus. He's not starving. I expect he's holding out for a real offer. I'm sure this winner of a guy was offended that he couldn't take advantage of the starving minor leaguer the way so many owners do.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          He got a 4.5mil signing bonus. He's not starving. I expect he's holding out for a real offer. I'm sure this winner of a guy was offended that he couldn't take advantage of the starving minor leaguer the way so many owners do.
          Agree. Odd thing is, a six-year offer doesn't even buy out a year of free agency, so he'd still go to the market at the same time.

Comment

... I imagine he will be fired soon...
            He is a part owner tho ...
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Like, why would a sane person say this about Hisashi Iwakuma, who by all accounts was a good dude and held in high esteem in Seattle: “For instance, we just re-hired Iwakuma, he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being, his English was terrible. He wanted to get back into the game, he came to us, we quite frankly want him as our Asian scout, interpreter, what’s going on with the Japanese league. He’s coming to spring training. And I’m going to say, I’m tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we’d pay Iwakuma X, but we’d also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better, his English got better when we told him that!”
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                He is a part owner tho ...
                MLB can take care of that, if they want to. And I think in this case, I'll be surprised if they don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  Like, why would a sane person say this about Hisashi Iwakuma, who by all accounts was a good dude and held in high esteem in Seattle: “For instance, we just re-hired Iwakuma, he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being, his English was terrible. He wanted to get back into the game, he came to us, we quite frankly want him as our Asian scout, interpreter, what’s going on with the Japanese league. He’s coming to spring training. And I’m going to say, I’m tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we’d pay Iwakuma X, but we’d also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better, his English got better when we told him that!”
                  Agree.

Comment

Agree.
                    My biggest take away from the whole fiasco is that Rotary Clubs are not only very much still a thing, but they are prestigious enough for a guy on top of the world to risk his career and stake in a professional sports team to want to go out on a limb and share all, just to be able to pop his collar and get some approval from the room. I am not familiar enough with how these are run to begin to understand how an org ostensibly dedicated to humanitarian work would lead to someone making a speech like the one he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      My biggest take away from the whole fiasco is that Rotary Clubs are not only very much still a thing, but they are prestigious enough for a guy on top of the world to risk his career and stake in a professional sports team to want to go out on a limb and share all, just to be able to pop his collar and get some approval from the room. I am not familiar enough with how these are run to begin to understand how an org ostensibly dedicated to humanitarian work would lead to someone making a speech like the one he did.
                      this was the weirdest part of this story to me as well.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• And, he's gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          And, he's gone.
                          Had a drink and a quick decision...
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Apparently they will pay the devil to replace him
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Apparently they will pay the devil to replace him
                              Hall and Oates?

Comment

Hall and Oates?

haters gonna hate
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X