Would you do this trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you do this trade?

I would trade Lyles (3 year contract) for A Crow (3 yrs) and Carter Capps (4 yrs)? Is it time to give up on Lyles? I hate to trade a starter for 2 middle relievers but maybe its time to cut bait on Lyles. What do you think? I like Crow and think he can bounce back this year. Not sure what to think about Capps.
    拖裤子,
    放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Looking through previous threads that mention Capps, I see that some said he was the closer-in-waiting. Is Capps still in-line to be a closer down the road? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a chance on him.
    拖裤子,
    放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
      Looking through previous threads that mention Capps, I see that some said he was the closer-in-waiting. Is Capps still in-line to be a closer down the road? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a chance on him.
      Hard to see him unseating Farquar at this point...but closers are notoriously fickle, so he might not be a bad ticket to hold on to...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Hard to see him unseating Farquar at this point...but closers are notoriously fickle, so he might not be a bad ticket to hold on to...
        But, would you trade for him? I am the one who has Lyles and I know he is nothing great. However, I wonder if Crow and Capps would be worth it.
        拖裤子,
        放屁

Comment

Farqhuar and Wilhelmsen might both be ahead of Capps, but I still think he might have the best chance to have value out of any of these 3 guys. How deep is this league? Lyles might be a league average starter. Crow and Capps might be 2 good relievers. I'm not sure any of them really matter.

Comment

Yes, I do that deal.

Comment

At first I was going to say that I also would do that deal. But after looking at the stats, I say why bother? Lyles is a back of the rotation starter on a bad team, much worse than league-average. He never profiled as having a ceiling better than a #3 so not much upside either. He's been little better than a blank spot on the roster so far. Both Capps and Crow could become closers at some point, but probably not for either one. Crow is established as a quality set-up man but he's likely 3rd in line at best on the closer depth chart in KC now. Capps is potentially a quality set up guy too, but hasnt been very good in MLB so far. He's perhaps no better than 3rd-in-line for closer either. Either one may be better than Lyles rt now, but neither figures to have much impact. I'd try to find a starter that is better than Lyles. All this was assuming a roto league; may be a little different in dynasty, which I dont play.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I am having a hard time pulling the trigger but I'll probably do it. Looking over Lyles stats again, I just don't see why I am hanging on him other than the fact that he is a starter.
                Last edited by Trader Mac; 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM.
                拖裤子,
                放屁

Comment

I guess it depends on how big your rosters are and how deep your league goes. In any kind of normal league, I can't imagine intentionally keeping a roster spot for a reliever with no chance of closing and a strikeout per inning, which is what Crow has done so far, and Capps could get better but they could also get tired of him. Sure, I'd draft him, but I gotta think he's replaceable.

That said, giving up Lyles is not much of a cost unless Houston retools really quickly. I think if you're in some league with a 20-man bench and you have fewer keepers than you're allowed, you could do worse than to make the trade.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    I guess it depends on how big your rosters are and how deep your league goes. In any kind of normal league, I can't imagine intentionally keeping a roster spot for a reliever with no chance of closing and a strikeout per inning, which is what Crow has done so far, and Capps could get better but they could also get tired of him. Sure, I'd draft him, but I gotta think he's replaceable.

That said, giving up Lyles is not much of a cost unless Houston retools really quickly. I think if you're in some league with a 20-man bench and you have fewer keepers than you're allowed, you could do worse than to make the trade.
                    Yeah, this trade doesn't excite me and I usually don't make trades like that. But, I look at Lyles and I see little hope for him. I am also able to dump Cervelli in this deal who is just eating up a roster space right now. This is not for roto, but for Stratomatic so perhaps its a little different. It is a deep league of 24 teams with 40-man rosters. I guess all the players are easily replaceable. For me, it comes down to any potential upside. Capps showed it in the minors and Crow wasn't bad his first 2 years in the bigs. So far, Lyles hasn't shown anything IMO.
                    拖裤子,
                    放屁

Comment

Oh, you can't just cut Cervelli? If there's a number of keepers that you absolutely have to have, those guys probably aren't bad filler.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        Oh, you can't just cut Cervelli? If there's a number of keepers that you absolutely have to have, those guys probably aren't bad filler.
                        I could cut Cervelli, but I would still be responsible for his contract which isn't much (500k for 2 years) The other three (Lyles, Crow and Capps) are all under rookie contracts so they can be cut anytime without be responsible for the rest of their contract. As for keepers, you have to keep who is under guaranteed contracts with the number varying among teams. You can cut guaranteed contracts but you still need to pay for their salaries for the remainder of their contract.
                        拖裤子,
                        放屁

Comment

I went ahead and did the deal. Cervelli and Lyles for Crow and Capps. Crap for crap IMO.
                          拖裤子,
                          放屁

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
                            I went ahead and did the deal. Cervelli and Lyles for Crow and Capps. Crap for crap IMO.
                            That's exactly what I though. If this were Roto, I would have said, "Why bother? Drop Cervelli and Lyles, and pick up someone you like."

Kind of reminds me of an in-season deal I made about 5 years ago, Carlos Villanueva for Austin Kearns (might have been with ironmanatee). Within a month, both were gone from our rosters and we were laughing about it--"Did we REALLY think this was going to make a difference?"
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Well, Cervelli was signed to a contract so I couldn't just drop him. So, I was able to rid my roster of his contract and get a player with a little upside.
                              拖裤子,
                              放屁

Comment

Working...
                              X