Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Joc to the Angels for Rengifo.
    Apparently there's more to this deal, according to Jeff Passan. The Angels are getting a "big league starting pitcher" and prospect Andy Pages, while another prospect is headed to the Dodgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
      Curious to know how much of Price the Sox are covering.
      Allegedly half. Which is, like, a lot of money. I really like Price to bounce back strong in LA. What a move for the Dodgers.

Comment

Apparently there's more to this deal, according to Jeff Passan. The Angels are getting a "big league starting pitcher" and prospect Andy Pages, while another prospect is headed to the Dodgers.
        Ross Stripling is also headed to the Angels in the trade.

Comment

• Does Pederson impact Adell's chances in LAA?
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Does Pederson impact Adell's chances in LAA?
            My guess is absolutely.

Their starting OF is Trout, Upton and Pederson now, with Goodwin backing up. They're probably not going to use Pederson at 1B with Pujols there, and Ohtani is the DH. I suppose Adell can arrive, without injuries, in June or so and get 200-300 ABs if they're crafty, but I think the chances that he starts regularly in '20 are shot, barring injury.

Comment

My guess is absolutely.

Their starting OF is Trout, Upton and Pederson now, with Goodwin backing up. They're probably not going to use Pederson at 1B with Pujols there, and Ohtani is the DH. I suppose Adell can arrive, without injuries, in June or so and get 200-300 ABs if they're crafty, but I think the chances that he starts regularly in '20 are shot, barring injury.
              Which likely makes sense. I realize Adell is a great talent, but it's not like he went Kris Bryant or Vladdy jr on AAA pitching. In 132 ABs, he had 0 HRs, an OPS under .700 - and a BABIP over .400. The Angels hanging their hat on him for this year sure seemed premature to me.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Which likely makes sense. I realize Adell is a great talent, but it's not like he went Kris Bryant or Vladdy jr on AAA pitching. In 132 ABs, he had 0 HRs, an OPS under .700 - and a BABIP over .400. The Angels hanging their hat on him for this year sure seemed premature to me.
                I agree that the hype on Adell is too high for 2020 (don't necessarily agree long term). But is it fair to compare him with Bryant? Adell reached AAA at age 20, which is uncommon. Bryant was a sophomore in college and three years away from his mlb debut at 20.

Vladdy I'll give you, but in that case, comparing against the prospect who was considered a "once in a generation" type, I'm not sure is fair either.

Adell isn't a once in a generation talent. But he's pretty a pretty damn good prospect.
                Last edited by Ken; 02-05-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Joc will be on a 1 year contract this year so his future depends on how well he does in 2020

Comment

Agreed. As an Adell owner I did not expect him to break with the club.

Comment

• Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
                      Joc will be on a 1 year contract this year so his future depends on how well he does in 2020
                      As well as how Adell improves in the minors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I agree that the hype on Adell is too high for 2020 (don't necessarily agree long term). But is it fair to compare him with Bryant? Adell reached AAA at age 20, which is uncommon. Bryant was a sophomore in college and three years away from his mlb debut at 20.

Vladdy I'll give you, but in that case, comparing against the prospect who was considered a "once in a generation" type, I'm not sure is fair either.

Adell isn't a once in a generation talent. But he's pretty a pretty damn good prospect.
                        I was making a different point - both Vladdy and Bryant were ready, and yet their clubs sent them down, which i think we'll all agree, in an effort to manipulate service time. Adell going down is simply because the data says he isn't ready, not because the Angels are screwing with his arb time.

Comment

• I realize it's early in Spring Training, and this might fall into the overreact thread, but Kershaw looked great against the Brewers yesterday, and most importantly, was at 93 MPH a number of times with his fastball. If he's really gained a tick or two on the heater, look out.

Comment

I realize it's early in Spring Training, and this might fall into the overreact thread, but Kershaw looked great against the Brewers yesterday, and most importantly, was at 93 MPH a number of times with his fastball. If he's really gained a tick or two on the heater, look out.
                            Gotta remember, he's still only 31, and if he's completely healthy, there's no reason why he can't get back to near elite status. He had a VERY good year last year, and a slight tick upwards puts him back to vintage Kershaw territory. Great ballclub in every way and I think, he might just have a Verlander type trajectory.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Gotta remember, he's still only 31, and if he's completely healthy, there's no reason why he can't get back to near elite status. He had a VERY good year last year, and a slight tick upwards puts him back to vintage Kershaw territory. Great ballclub in every way and I think, he might just have a Verlander type trajectory.
                              Kershaw hasn't topped 180 IP for the last 4 years. Meanwhile, Verlander hasn't pitched less than 200 IP the last 4 years.

Verlander bests Kershaw (ave over that time period) in every category including Wins, era, whip, Ks. I don't see the correlation.

Comment

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                                Kershaw hasn't topped 180 IP for the last 4 years. Meanwhile, Verlander hasn't pitched less than 200 IP the last 4 years.

Verlander bests Kershaw (ave over that time period) in every category including Wins, era, whip, Ks. I don't see the correlation.
                                Verlander had down years in 2014, and 2015...pretty much the same age range as Kershaw is now. I can easily see Kershaw getting back to elite status...the difference is that LA doesn't need for him to pitch 200 innings, and won't make him do so. Accept that he'll pitch 180 sterling innings and you'll be very happy, IMO.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X