2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I'm not sure if I'd say that. I would say, and I already did, that the Dodgers haven't generally gone for huge deals in free agency despite the ability to do so. Frankly, they've only flexed their financial muscle a few times. The first and most obvious time was when they took on approximately a shit ton of contract money in the deal with Boston right when the Guggenheim group bought the team more than three years ago. Outside of that move, which was made essentially to make the Dodgers immediately competitive, they've signed Greinke and signed Kershaw to a huge extension and that's it. They've far more often used their financial position to strengthen their farm system, buy picks, sign international kids, etc. I love the way they do business.
    I gotta say that I agree with most of what ElD is opining. I look at the way the team is composed and it looks a lot like the way the Cardinals do things: free agents to fill a specific need, tons of home-grown talent, keeping top minors players when trading. I like that.

I think the future looks very bright for the Dodgers, especially as the Giants window is closing. I'm not sure they can put it all together this year, or next, but I like the way things seem to be coming together down there. I'd expect them to win the West and lose in the first round, which is also the way they do business.

Comment

• The Dodgers have Kershaw, who is the best pitcher in baseball. They have lots of possibly good pitchers and lots of possibly good players but beyond Adrian Gonzalez I don't know what to expect from their lineup. They could have a very good team or they could be very mediocre and miss the playoffs. They have some great prospects but sometimes prospects don't work out.

If I had to guess I would expect them to contend and possibly win the division but once again not go far in the playoffs.
      If I was a Dodger fan I would be disappointed in management.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
        The Dodgers have Kershaw, who is the best pitcher in baseball. They have lots of possibly good pitchers and lots of possibly good players but beyond Adrian Gonzalez I don't know what to expect from their lineup. They could have a very good team or they could be very mediocre and miss the playoffs. They have some great prospects but sometimes prospects don't work out.

If I had to guess I would expect them to contend and possibly win the division but once again not go far in the playoffs.
        If I was a Dodger fan I would be disappointed in management.
        The Dodgers will be an interesting case this year - some have left them for dead for not resigning Greinke but otherwise their roster looks a lot better than the result of 2015:
        - Ryu is seemingly healthy
        - Puig should be healthier and better
        - Seager should be way better than Rollins was last year
        - the back end of the rotation and depth should be much better (Maeda, Wood, Ryu instead of Bolsinger, Frias, Zach Lee)
        - Jansen opens the year healthy and most of the key bullpen pieces (Hatcher and Yimi mostly) should be better than last year

I'm not saying the Dodgers are going to be a juggernaut or anything but their offense has a lot of room for improvement compared to last year and the overall pitching staff should be comparable to last year. Mark me down for a 90-72 season and obviously a World Series

Comment

The Dodgers signed Jordan Schafer to a minor league deal. Not especially notable, except for the fact that they're going to try him out as a pitcher! Apparently he was a big time pitching prospect coming out of high school. Hey, if the switch worked for Kenley Jansen....
          Championship!
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I think they can get Kendrick cheaper than the qualifying offer.

Comment

I think they can get Kendrick cheaper than the qualifying offer.
              That would shock me. In fact, I'm surprised Howie hasn't been able to land a good multi-year deal.

Comment

• Dodgers re-signed Kendrick to a 2-yr, $20m deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  That would shock me. In fact, I'm surprised Howie hasn't been able to land a good multi-year deal.
                  This isn't the Oriole front office. In LA they understand supply and demand.

Comment

This isn't the Oriole front office. In LA they understand supply and demand.
                    Yeah, Kendrick really got hosed by the pick attached to him. A very good player, but not good enough for anyone to lose that pick. Good move by the Dodgers...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Brett Anderson out 3-5 months, bulging disk.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        Brett Anderson out 3-5 months, bulging disk.
                        Brett Anderson injured? Unpossible!

I wonder if he knew about this issue when he signed the qualifying offer? Obviously the Dodgers didn't when they extended it...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Dodgers now have a DL rotation that rivals some 2nd division teams: Ryu, McCarthy, Anderson, Montas.
                          The insurance company that provides coverage for the Dodgers against injury must be having some interesting conversations re: their premiums.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            I'm kinda surprised they made a $15.8m QO to Brett Anderson.
                            I'm not surprised he's going to miss most, if not all, of the season......

Comment

• Corey Seager avoids a major injury, but will miss up to 2 weeks with a knee sprain.

Comment

With the awesome depth the Dodgers have, I'm not so sure this even makes the team worse, frankly. I have more faith in Wood than I did in Anderson, although both are good pitchers and good options at the back of any rotation.
                                Alex Wood now has forearm soreness, but it's "extremely mild"...where have we heard this before?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X