2K14 - San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    Just depends where they go. Street has more years as a closer than Benoit so more likely Street closes than Benoit if both are traded.

I bet SD keeps at least one of them.
    Street's contract is actually pretty affordable (even for the Pads) so I don't think they're necessarily going to trade him. I think, if they can get a nice return for Benoit (think Mike Adams a few years ago) thay'll move him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      Um, can't go anywhere but up. ba dum bump
      My thought exactly. I saw the question and said, "Up?"
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

• Annnnnd, the Padres end a historically bad month - .171 team BA for June and became the first team since 1965 to win two games in a year in which they only got one hit.

On the bright side, Jesse Hahn looks legit. His 12-6 uncle Charlie is impressive.

Jason, any insight in to Hahn? I know there's not a lot since he had TJ surgery after he was drafted in 2010.

Comment

• I mean forgive me for being antsy, but when is the selling going to begin for this team already? WTF are they waiting for with pieces like Headley, Street, Benoit and others that would command a return on the market? Judging from how HOU values Lucas Harrell, maybe pulling off a deal is really hard in today's MLB, but give me a break!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            I mean forgive me for being antsy, but when is the selling going to begin for this team already? WTF are they waiting for with pieces like Headley, Street, Benoit and others that would command a return on the market? Judging from how HOU values Lucas Harrell, maybe pulling off a deal is really hard in today's MLB, but give me a break!
            Well, the club just signed Seth Smith to a 2 year extension today, so he's of the block. He might have been the most valuable commodity to other teams. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/224/seth-smith

Comment

• Aaaannnnd, the club heads in to the AS break on a high note - getting blanked twice in a row and losing 1-0 to the Doggers.

Interesting stat. The Padres HIGHEST average in the lineup yesterday - Cameron Maybin at .250 was LOWER than the combined team BA for the Dodgers. Whee!

Look for the team to be blown up and eat a lot of contract - Quentin mainly. But, most assuredly, Headley will be gone and either Benoit or Street. Kennedy's name has been mentioned as well. Maybin and Venable could be shipped, but they'll need to eat some of those contracts, too.

The pitching staff is the second best in the league and their offense is at the bottom (and could be historically bad)

Good time to be a Padre fan.

Comment

• What's worse is that it might not be blown up. Kennedy is signed for another season and they just extended Smith. There has to be a worry that the confusing front office situation might make a fire sale tough to accomplish.

Comment

• Which is what they did LAST season! They extended Q and Street when they should have traded them. Fool me twice...

Comment

• If Street gets traded, who is in the running to close this year? Next year?

Comment

• It's a volatile situation, but I'd rank them:

Benoit (assuming he's not traded)
                      Thayer
                      Quackenbush
                      Torres
                      Vincent

Ask me in two weeks and it could be a completely different five guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        It's a volatile situation, but I'd rank them:

Benoit (assuming he's not traded)
                        Thayer
                        Quackenbush
                        Torres
                        Vincent

Ask me in two weeks and it could be a completely different five guys.
                        Yeah, this ^

Benoit is the guy unless he has been traded. Thayer has experience closing so he'd be next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                          Thayer has experience closing so he'd be next.
                          And he's pitching like a closer, so there's that...

Comment

• When a team acts like it is run by the Marx Brothers, shouldn't Quackenbush be the closer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              When a team acts like it is run by the Marx Brothers, shouldn't Quackenbush be the closer?
                              Nice!

Comment

• How apropos is it that, while Headley is delivering the game-winning hit in his first game in pinstripes, the Pads get shutout by the Cubbies featuring a game when Rizzo hits 2 dingers against them as they leave $50 million in payroll on the bench (Quentin and Maybin)?

I feel like the Padres are Ike Turner and I'm Tina.

They've fielded some pretty awful lineups over the years, but yesterday's has to take the cake:

1. Vanable - CF
                                2. Amarista - 2B
                                3. Smith - LF
                                4. Grandal - C
                                5. Nelson - 3B
                                6. Goebbert - 1B
                                7. Denorfia - RF
                                8. Conrad - 2B
                                9. Stults - P

Comment

Working...
                                X