X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trades that Should Happen

As always, add/comment:

1 - Reds trade Brandon Phillips to the Tigers for Rick Porcello
    The Reds want to trade perceived malcontent Phillips, and the Tigers have an opening at 2B with the departure of Omar Infante. They also have can deal from its strength and trade Porcello, who finally took steps in the right direction, but is still far behind the top four. This leads to.....

2 - Reds trade Johnny Cueto & Ryan Hanigan to the Angels for Mark Trumbo
    Cueto has been stellar, but a) can't stay healthy and b) is a free agent after 2014. Trumbo moves to LF for the Reds, who also trade an unneeded catcher.

3 - Brewers trade Rickie Weeks & cash to the A's for Tommy Milone
    Weeks lost his job to Scooter Gannett, and the Brewers need pitching desperately. The A's add another Weeks to the 2B job, and Milone also was the odd-man out in a strong rotation.

4a - Diamondbacks trade Wade Miley to the Twins for Glenn Perkins
    the D'backs have starting pitching to spare, but their bullpen is a mess. Meanwhile, the Twins staff is a mess and why do they need a closer when they're not winning? Or...

4b - Diamondbacks trade Wade Miley to the Blue Jays for Colby Rasmus
    the Jays pitching acquisitions were nothing short of a debacle, and they have Anthony Gose or Moises Sierra ready to step in.

5 - Mets trade Ike Davis to the Rays for Jeremy Hellickson
    trade of two relatively disappointing young (former) stars. The Rays can use a 1B with Loney a FA, and the Mets can use a starter with Harvey gone for 2014.

6 - Marlins trade Mike Stanton in one of these two packages:
    a) to the Red Sox for Will Middlebrooks, Jackie Bradley Jr., Allan Webster and Brandon Workman. Or,
    b) to the Cardinals for Oscar Taveras, Kolten Wong and Joe Kelly.

"I figured out a way to get Bonds and Griffey and not have to give up that much!"

-George Costanza-

Comment

If number 3 happens, I will faint with happiness. Just about no matter how much cash is attached to the deal.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Braves trade Evan Gattis, Brandon Beachy, Lucas Sims to the Rays for David Price.

Comment

What is this, everyone's Christmas list? Ain't none of these gonna happen...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Andrus is an amazing fielder who can't hit for shit.
            But the big thing is that he is a SS...and a good defensive one at that. Ethier is a platoon outfielder and much easier replaced. I'd bet Texas gets a decent haul for him. Andrus has a large contract...but what will it look like in a few years with salaries escalating? I'd have to side with the gentleman from Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              What is this, everyone's Christmas list? Ain't none of these gonna happen...
              I agree.

Comment

Price for Profar

May need some small other pieces involved, but that's the headline.

As they say at Staples......That was Easy!
                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

How about Kinsler for Porcello instead of Phillips? Or if the Tigers are really trying to save money, Scherzer for Profar?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    But the big thing is that he is a SS...and a good defensive one at that. Ethier is a platoon outfielder and much easier replaced. I'd bet Texas gets a decent haul for him. Andrus has a large contract...but what will it look like in a few years with salaries escalating? I'd have to side with the gentleman from Minnesota
                    Ethier for Andrus is very reminiscent of Yankees fans calling into WFAN. The 31 year old outfielder with a bad contract and no place to play is suddenly valuable, while the 24 year old shortstop is suddenly an offensive liability (despite averaging .340 OBP, 34 SB, 90 r from age 21-24).
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

My lovely Yankee fan wife said "The Tigers are trading Scherzer? We should get him!" which is true, but the Yankees really have nothing to trade. Especially nothing that the Tigers would want.

Along the same lines, Andrus would be a great successor to Jeter, but what can the Yankees offer? Zilch. I don't think the Gary Sanchez/Mason Williams pupu platter is getting it done.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        a) to the Red Sox for Will Middlebrooks, Jackie Bradley Jr., Allan Webster and Brandon Workman. Or,
                        Is it just me but the Cardinals prospects in this deal seem to be significantly better than the Red Sox prospects.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Is it just me but the Cardinals prospects in this deal seem to be significantly better than the Red Sox prospects.
                          Yeah, there's no way they're getting Stanton without Boegarts.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            They are. I don't think the Sox will trade Boegarts, and Middlebrooks at least has already shown he can hit MLB pitching for power. Maybe upgrade Webster to Henry Owens? Or take out Wong from the Cards package? Or, as noted, upgrade Middlebrooks to Boegarts?

In either case, the point was more the Red Sox and Cards appear to be well positioned to at least make a valid offer to the Marlins. Now whether the Marlins want to trade Stanton is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              As always, add/comment:
                              Fun thread - thanks for posting. A lot easier to criticize than to come up with these ideas, I know.

re: the Cardinals, I'm pretty sure they'd only trade youngsters for a stud shortstop; I don't expect that they would go after Stanton, given the price you suggest. Holliday (signed thru 2016)/Craig (signed thru 2017)/Taveras/Adams are four guys that they are happy with to cover three positions (RF/LF/1B) for the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X