2K24: Toronto Blue Jays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    He's just 24, but we have to be wading into mega-bust territory now, don't we? Not only is the guy a chronic underperformer, but he's chronically injured. He's entering his arbitration years, so could we see Toronto move on from him soon?

Comment

Felt he was overhyped from the get-go

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Felt he was overhyped from the get-go
        Good call. Having watched him come up through the minors, it became pretty apparent he...hmmm...lacked the desire to put in the necessary work to succeed at the MLB level I think is the politically correct terminology.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          He's just 24, but we have to be wading into mega-bust territory now, don't we? Not only is the guy a chronic underperformer, but he's chronically injured. He's entering his arbitration years, so could we see Toronto move on from him soon?
          I highly doubt it. He's still 24, and doesn't hit free agency until 2018. we have enough other issues to deal with - I still want to see him as our starting 3B next opening day.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Melky broke his pinky and is done for the year. Too bad, he was having a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              With Janssen likely to seek greener pastures in 2015, any thoughts on what we do at closer? In-house, Cecil is an option, but I think he's more of a Plan B.

List of pending FA established closers (* = 2015 option): JJohnson, CPerez, Robertson, KRod, Romo*, Soria*, Soriano*, Street*, Uehara

KRod makes sense with his AL past. Soria would work. I think Boston will resign Uehara, though I can also see them or NYY making a push for Janssen since he knows the AL East.
              I forgot about Brandon Morrow. Seattle used him as a closer and with his inability to stay healthy as a starter, if the Jays like what they see from him out of the bullpen this season, they may leave him there next season - and could slot him in as the closer.

Aaron Sanchez will be in the rotation eventually, right?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I was thinking about Morrow at closer too but the team option for next year is $10 mil - that's a lot of cash for someone who has thrown less than 85 innings over the past 2 years.

I agree, Sanchez needs to be in the rotation. Dickey-Buehrle-Hutchinson-Stroman-Sanchez. With Norris waiting in the wings.

If Morrow won't re-sign at a discount maybe we look for a relatively cheap FA, someone like Joakim Soria?
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  I was thinking about Morrow at closer too but the team option for next year is $10 mil - that's a lot of cash for someone who has thrown less than 85 innings over the past 2 years.

I agree, Sanchez needs to be in the rotation. Dickey-Buehrle-Hutchinson-Stroman-Sanchez. With Norris waiting in the wings.

If Morrow won't re-sign at a discount maybe we look for a relatively cheap FA, someone like Joakim Soria?
                  Happ's 6.2 mil option is likely picked up. I think he stays in the rotation and Dickey or Buehrle are traded.

Comment

I dunno, Dickey will be 40 & $12mil next year, Buehrle will be 36 & $19mil (!); it'll be tough to move those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      I dunno, Dickey will be 40 & $12mil next year, Buehrle will be 36 & $19mil (!); it'll be tough to move those guys.
                      ...without eating some of that salary!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Nice call, guy!

Comment

an interesting note about the Smoak signing ...

Originally posted by MLBTradeRumors
                          •Justin Smoak left money on the table to join the Blue Jays, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports. Agent Dustin Bledsoe told Nicholson-Smith that his client wanted the chance at everyday playing time at first more than the possibility of increasing his guarantee next year.
                          bodes well, hopefully Smoak is looking to make the most of the opportunity.

Comment

The Blue Jays' offense is looking dynamite at this point. But what in the heck are they doing with their rotation? They need more than a bunch of 3rd and 4th starters and a middling bullpen, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                              The Blue Jays' offense is looking dynamite at this point. But what in the heck are they doing with their rotation? They need more than a bunch of 3rd and 4th starters and a middling bullpen, right?
                              Realistically they need an ace for a couple seasons.

ETA: Looking more and more like status quo on the front end.

Buehrle
                              Dickey
                              Stroman
                              Sanchez
                              Hutchison

The back end is young but those guys have plus stuff.
                              Last edited by virgonomic; 12-17-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                                it's the bullpen that has me most concerned. A lot of very good MR arms are coming off the board ... I thought that when the Braves designated Varvaro for assignment that was an interesting opportunity, but the Red Sox just traded for him.

I would love to acquire an ace, but we realistically don't have the parts to trade for one without giving up some of those key young arms. The hope is that one of the kids steps up in a big way this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X