2K24: Toronto Blue Jays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    One bad start and a second disastrous start later, where do y'all stand on J.A. Happ? Do his fundamentals still suggest that over the course of the long season he'll be a strong/improved performer when compared against prior seasons, or are you afraid that the signs of his fundamental improvement were exaggerated/temporary?
    Can I choose C) Some of all of the above?

Seriously, I think his K rate will increase - partly since the average hitter is K'ing more and partly due to his new willingness to attack high in the zone. Now, as revo noted, I agree that 12+/9 is pretty absurd, but I can see these changes netting a 9.0 K/9 IP rate, which would be a nice uptick.

OTOH, I'm not that excited about his ERA and WHIP getting notably better. I think he'll have more QS, but his bad outings I expect will be very, very bad. Missing high in the zone consistently during an outing is going to lead to really bad results.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      One bad start and a second disastrous start later, where do y'all stand on J.A. Happ? Do his fundamentals still suggest that over the course of the long season he'll be a strong/improved performer when compared against prior seasons, or are you afraid that the signs of his fundamental improvement were exaggerated/temporary?
      I still like him as a starter, but I do think that the significant improvements that some were pointing at were exaggerated/based on a small sample size, and that regression towards his mean was/is to be expected.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Marcus Stroman mercifully placed on the DL.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Marcus Stroman mercifully placed on the DL.
          I pray that he's been hurt. It's the only thing that could explain his suckitude.

I have him for $15 through 2019 and he seems like an $8 cut at this point.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            I have him for $15 through 2019 and he seems like an $8 cut at this point.
            I had him for $2 in a contract year last year and decided not to extend him. Feeling pretty good about that right now.
            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• The Mets' offense couldn't get Jaime Garcia back on track, but boy were they great medicine for whatever was ailing J.A. Happ through his last few starts.

Comment

• Josh Donaldson leaves in the 5th inning with an apparent injury. Do they have a third baseman in the minors who might be able to take over if necessary?

Comment

Josh Donaldson leaves in the 5th inning with an apparent injury. Do they have a third baseman in the minors who might be able to take over if necessary?
                  I see what you did there.

edit: as Keith Law just tweeted, Vlad went 6-5 today & invented a new type of base hit
                  Last edited by TranaGreg; 05-28-2018, 04:04 PM.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Josh Donaldson leaves in the 5th inning with an apparent injury. Do they have a third baseman in the minors who might be able to take over if necessary?
                    If Jays management thinks Russell Martin is the answer, they clearly do not understand the question.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Any predictions on when Osuna comes back? His administrative leave has been extended (for the 5th time) to June 18. His long-term prognosis should be known after his court date. Is jail time likely?

I'm looking at trading for him. Need help in saves now but late-season would be more important.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        Any predictions on when Osuna comes back? His administrative leave has been extended (for the 5th time) to June 18. His long-term prognosis should be known after his court date. Is jail time likely?

I'm looking at trading for him. Need help in saves now but late-season would be more important.
                        I get the feeling he doesnt play again this season. After all these delays he will get an 82 game suspension like hector Olivera did. Maybe fewer if the facts don’t support the charges, but wasnt that the case with Aroldis and he still got a 30 day suspension. my guess is that if he did anything at all the jays will back off ever using him again in the me too age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          I get the feeling he doesnt play again this season. After all these delays he will get an 82 game suspension like hector Olivera did. Maybe fewer if the facts don’t support the charges, but wasnt that the case with Aroldis and he still got a 30 day suspension. my guess is that if he did anything at all the jays will back off ever using him again in the me too age.
                          I have the same feeling - I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. For me he's not worth a bench spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I have the same feeling - I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. For me he's not worth a bench spot.
                            Given my spot in the pack, I'd take a shot on him if his contract was reasonable enough. Although this, in addition to his already documented anxiety issues, would certainly give me pause...hell reading this back now, no way
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Given my spot in the pack, I'd take a shot on him if his contract was reasonable enough. Although this, in addition to his already documented anxiety issues, would certainly give me pause...hell reading this back now, no way
                              No salaries, 6 bench + 2 DL. +1 bench Sep 1. I convinced myself that Osuna was the only option, but there are other middling teams with closers (Claw, Greene, Herrera, Rodney) plus Romo is a FA. Is he a better bet than Osuna?

ETA: I grabbed Romo. Roe and Alvarado have been used prior to the 8th so things are looking good.
                              Last edited by virgonomic; 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Osuna suspended 75 games through Aug. 4, retroactive to May 8.

Steve Phillips says though he can return Aug 4, his court case will be pending, and the Jays should suspend him with pay to avoid him being a distraction to the team. Pauly said he doubts he pitches this year and Ken said he is not worth a roster spot. Sounds about right.

Comment

Working...
                                X