2K13 World Series: STL vs. BOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Wow, that was an unbelievably ridiculous call. Obstruction? Middlebrooks was going after the ball! How on earth was that obstruction? He had no idea he even tripped him.
    I hated to see the game end that way. But, the more i look at that play the more i think Middlebrooks did it intentionally. Who lifts their heels like that after they have been on the ground for several seconds? I can see doing that when initially diving for the ball. But not after the ball has bounced several times after getting past you. It's a moot point though as the intent doesn't matter on an obstruction call.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Wow, that was an unbelievably ridiculous call. Obstruction? Middlebrooks was going after the ball! How on earth was that obstruction? He had no idea he even tripped him.
      Well, I guess it can be called anyway. Still ridiculous.

Comment

I don't see anything in 7.06 that talks about intent. From http://www.baseball-rules.com/FAQs.htm#OBS:

As with interference, obstruction is also a tough judgment call. Contact between the runner and fielder is not necessary to meet the definition. If a runner must slow down or alter his path to avoid a fielder who is not in possession of the ball or "in the act of fielding" a throw, he has been obstructed.

Clearly Middlebrooks didn't have the ball and he wasn't really involved in the play any more.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Craig looked like he may have aggravated his foot injury when he scored the winning run.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            I don't see anything in 7.06 that talks about intent. From http://www.baseball-rules.com/FAQs.htm#OBS:

As with interference, obstruction is also a tough judgment call. Contact between the runner and fielder is not necessary to meet the definition. If a runner must slow down or alter his path to avoid a fielder who is not in possession of the ball or "in the act of fielding" a throw, he has been obstructed.

Clearly Middlebrooks didn't have the ball and he wasn't really involved in the play any more.
            It was absolutely the correct call. Craig would have scored had Middlebrooks not made contact with him. There doesn't have to be intent.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Lost in the discussion is that it was an unbelievably dumb decision by Salty to throw the ball in the first place. A bad throw loses the game. Holding on to the ball gets you a man on 3rd with two outs and your closer on the mound. Just trust your closer to get one batter out. If he can do that, it doesn't matter where the runner is.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Aside from the obstruction call, those two throws made by the Red Sox in that play (not the Salty one) were pretty damn amazing. It was one exciting play.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Lost in the discussion is that it was an unbelievably dumb decision by Salty to throw the ball in the first place. A bad throw loses the game. Holding on to the ball gets you a man on 3rd with two outs and your closer on the mound. Just trust your closer to get one batter out. If he can do that, it doesn't matter where the runner is.
                  I don't know...in hindsight, sure it was. But at the time of the play, it was the right thing to do. Really slow runner, and a great chance to get out of the inning with a fantastic double play. Middlebrooks should have knocked the ball down at the very least...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    well, that was an interesting ending for game 3. Not just that it ended with an obstruction call, which you almost never see, but it happened inside the base line, which I would have thought was relevant?
                    The base line is not the chalk foul line. The base line is defined as the straight line between the runner and the base that he is advancing toward. The chalk lines are irrelevant to the baserunners except for the two lines half way down the first base line that are used define the running lane for the batter going to first.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      I don't know...in hindsight, sure it was. But at the time of the play, it was the right thing to do. Really slow runner, and a great chance to get out of the inning with a fantastic double play. Middlebrooks should have knocked the ball down at the very least...
                      Hindsight my Royal Irish - a** Steve - It was the correct play for most ML'ers - Salty is not a good baseball player and Middlebrooks appears/ acts lost/overwhelmed and scared to death to be on the field....

Comment

Game Three ends with an obstruction call.

Game Four ends with a pickoff.

I can hardly wait to see how Game Five ends. Nuclear explosion? A plague of locusts? The Mississippi turns into blood and floods Busch Stadium? TIM! MC!! CARVER!!! shuts up and everyone in the stadium suffers instant cardiac arrest?

Nah, that last one is too improbable.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Watching the game tonight, it finally dawned on me what Tim McCarver would be good at commentating.

Pro wrestling.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I wish RJ had more Sox fans but I'm loving it right now. Hopefully they can close it out on Wednesday!
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                              I wish RJ had more Sox fans but I'm loving it right now. Hopefully they can close it out on Wednesday!
                              Bob Kohm pmce used the Red Sox logo as his icon. Something about a bet.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Last team to win Game 6 and Game 7 of the World Series on the road: The 1979 Pirates.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X