2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    It's bad drafting combined somewhat with losing picks for signing free agents.

Some amazing nuggets about the Yankees' horrific drafting skills:
    - the Yankees ENTIRE drafts from 1997-2013 have been outhomered in their collective major league careers by Ty Wigginton. That's over 500 players drafted!
    - over that same period, the player drafted by the Yanks who has the most major league HRs is Shelly Duncan, with 43
    - if you go back to 1993, the player with the most HRs actually playing for the Yanks is Nick Johnson with 33
    - since 1993, only 11 players drafted by the Yanks have actually hit a HR while playing for them
    - there are only five active starting pitchers who were drafted and developed by the Yanks

Now of course, they were able to use their massive fiscal resources to sign and successfully develop international free agents, but if put on a level playing field like the draft, they're abysmal.
    It doesn't lessen a damning indictment, but their 2005 draft did produce two good non-power hitters in Brett Gardner (3rd rd) and Austin Jackson (8th). They also drafted Doug Fister in the 6th round that year, but didn't sign him (and Seattle got him in the 7th round of 2006).

Post-Jeter, the first round picks are a who's not who of mlb: B-R - Yankeess 1st-round picks

By B-R's WAR, the best 1st-rounders from 1993+ are
    - Mark Prior (did not sign),
    - Eric Milton (sent in the Knoblach deal),
    - Ian Kennedy (1-5 as a Yankee, traded in the Granderson deal),
    - Joba,
    - Hughes,
    - Gerrit Cole (did not sign).
    everybody else is <= 0.5 career B-R WAR
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Oh, yeah. A 36-year-old who's missed 70% of his team's games over the last FOUR years. Yeah, that's the ticket.
      Hey, they just took AARP and Ensure as corporate sponsors! Gotta play to your benefactors....
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I am scared of your answer to this question--WHERE did you get those pearls of information?

Ty Wigginton. Wow. Talk about inconsistent. That guy made (2006-07-08) or broke a lot of Roto teams.
        I found a couple of different articles on this subject, including one from Tom Verducci.
        MLB journeyman Ty Wigginton has hit more home runs than the Yankees’ entire 1997-2013 draft portfolio.

Comment

• Signing Brian Roberts...looking at Mark Reynolds and Michael Young. Just one word for that: CHAMPIONSHIP!
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            To be fair, it was not very long ago that the Yankees' treasure trove of prospects was envied by most teams in baseball. Back in 2010, this was an AWESOME top 10 of prospects:

1. Jesus Montero
            2. Gary Sanchez
            3. Dellin Betances
            4. Manny Banuelos
            5. Andrew Brackman
            6. Austin Romine
            7. Hector Noesi
            8. Eduardo Nunez
            9. Slade Heathcott
            10. Brandon Laird

2008's group was nice, too.

1. Joba Chamberlain, rhp
            2. Austin Jackson, of
            3. Jose Tabata, of
            4. Ian Kennedy, rhp
            5. Alan Horne, rhp
            6. Jesus Montero, c
            7. Jeff Marquez, rhp
            8. Brett Gardner, of
            9. Ross Ohlendorf, rhp
            10. Andrew Brackman, rhp

Seems kind of like dumb luck that pretty much every Yankees prospect has fallen flat.
            Or it could be that they simply weren't that good to begin with? Perhaps a product of the NY hype machine?
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

In retrospect, yeah I guess they were a product of the hype machine. At the time, though, most prospect organizations like BA thought pretty highly of a lot of these guys.
              Could be a piss poor developmental program by the Yanks.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Yanks sign Matt Thornton to a 2 yr, $7m deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Could be a piss poor developmental program by the Yanks.
                  I can understand it if the "player development" people within the Yankee organization are not gung ho about their jobs. Any success they have results in the "prospect" getting traded away and everyone b***hing about how the team never develops its own stars.

It could also be that they're getting sh** with which to work. As Mythbusters has proven, you CAN shine a turd, but if you do, it's still a turd.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

In retrospect, yeah I guess they were a product of the hype machine. At the time, though, most prospect organizations like BA thought pretty highly of a lot of these guys.
                    Which in turn could also be at least in part a product of the hype machine.

I'm sorry, but looking at the "awesome" 2010 list, it can't be just "dumb luck" that not one has even a part-time major league gig. 2008's list has turned out better, but of the five that have full-time major league jobs, only one is a Yankee.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

• so my thinking is that with Balfour signed with the O's, that Yanks are committed to starting the year with Robertson at closer. If they wanted to upgrade they would have gone for either Nathan or Balfour, yes?
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        so my thinking is that with Balfour signed with the O's, that Yanks are committed to starting the year with Robertson at closer. If they wanted to upgrade they would have gone for either Nathan or Balfour, yes?
                        My boss said he read somewhere about someone speculating on Papledouche being traded to the Yanks. I seriously hope not.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          My boss said he read somewhere about someone speculating on Papledouche being traded to the Yanks. I seriously hope not.
                          While I don't think it would take that much to make this happen, the usual question for this off-season remains--What do the Yankees have to offer in return? And is it something the Phillies want?

-- William James

Comment

While I don't think it would take that much to make this happen, the usual question for this off-season remains--What do the Yankees have to offer in return? And is it something the Phillies want?
                            If someone took his full salary, the Phillies would take a used ball.
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                              If someone took his full salary, the Phillies would take a used ball.
                              Yup. Salary relief is really what the Phillies want. But I really really really really really hope that the Yanks don't take the bait. I could never handle looking at Papeldouche in a Yankee uniform. I'd turn the channel when it was a save opportunity. The saving grace is that I haven't seen anything on RotoWorld so hopefully whatever my boss heard was just someone not worthy of RotoWorld's reporting making a total guess.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Let's start with the wrong premise that Balfour or Paplebon would be an upgrade over Robertson...
                                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X