No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And CC Sabathia may have taken the most expensive ejection in baseball today. He needed 2 IP more for a $500k bonus, and will likely take a pretty hefty fine for not only the plunking, but also doing a classic crotch grab at the Rays bench while reportedly yelling "that's for you, bitches!"
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The Yankees broke the Major League record Saturday with 265 home runs on the season. Gleyber Torres hit the record breaker.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I think the Yanks will benefit from having played the one game Wild Card playoff, as the key bullpen guys each looked a bit overjuiced coming in and got a chance to settle down. If Betances, Robertson, Britton and Chapman have their command, they can shorten the game as well as anyone except perhaps the Brewers.

Comment

• Yanks go home with a lot of questions:

- is Gary Sanchez really anything more than a DH? Should they trade him and sign Yasmani Grandal or trade for Realmuto instead?
          - will Greg Bird ever be able to hit MLB pitching during the regular season?
          - who is Luke Voit and can he be a sufficient starter at 1B?
          - how will they fill the large gaps in their rotation with such a mediocre crop of free agent SPs?
          - which free agent pitchers do they let go (Britton, Robertson, Happ, Sabathia, Lynn) and who do they re-sign?
          - was Miguel Andujar a nice fluke, or is he a cornerstone player?
          - did they get hosed with Stanton, or is he is what he is -- a very streaky player who can't be counted on in big spots?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Yanks go home with a lot of questions:

- is Gary Sanchez really anything more than a DH? Should they trade him and sign Yasmani Grandal or trade for Realmuto instead?
            - how will they fill the large gaps in their rotation with such a mediocre crop of free agent SPs?
            - which free agent pitchers do they let go (Britton, Robertson, Happ, Sabathia, Lynn) and who do they re-sign?
            - did they get hosed with Stanton, or is he is what he is -- a very streaky player who can't be counted on in big spots?
            I'm going to start with the last question, because I remember it being asked about A-Rod after he performed poorly in his first post-season with the Yanks. Stanton will be fine. He's not remotely the problem.

Andujar strikes me as a solid player to run out at 3B for the next several years at least. No reason not to treat him like a key long-term player.

Sanchez deserves another full season in pinstripes at least, and at the catcher position. His bat at catcher can be such a differentiator, and this season was injury plagued. Patience.

Bird, on the other hand, I dunno. I don't think they'd get anything from him, so see if they can carry Bird and Voit again next year and let them fight for the job.

Starting pitching is key. I think they should keep Happ and maybe Lynn. Sabathia, I'm really torn. As a fan, I wouldn't want to see him cut loose. Intellectually, I can't imagine he won't break (as in "stick a fork in him") sometime within the next one to two years. They can let Britton and Robertson go and get them or one or two guys like them back at some point next year.

Comment

• Biggest challenge/most important is bullpen construction. Even if they keep Happ, and he has another solid year, and they keep CC and CC does essentially the same thing next year, they need a strongly stocked bullpen. I'm not savvy enough about the Yanks minor league system to know if they have one or two guys who can provide quality bullpen innings, or if they'd have to sign a couple of strong MRs. If it's the latter, I'd sure calculate how much more it'd cost me to pay Robertson closer money but keep him in a 7th or 8th inning role.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yanks go home with a lot of questions:

I agree with B-Fly. Stanton will be fine. Of course they overpaid, but ARod's first season with the Yankees was just okay and then he exploded in his second year. I can see the same thing happening with Stanton.

The issue with Andujar is his defense, which is horrid, and clearly got in Boone's head, as he benched Andujar last night. I can see him going to 1B and the Yankees signing Escobar or LeMhaieu if the latter can play 3B. Or can Torres play 3B?

Speaking of Boone, I think there are questions about him, as well, although that's a constant with the Yankees.

Also, is Brett Gardner a full-time player anymore? Do they re-sign McCutchen and have the two of them split time? Or sign a free agent?

The real question is the rotation and the bullpen. Is Severino truly an elite starter or more of a #2? Do they sign throw a ton of money at Corbin or Keuchel? Can they reply on Sheffield?
                Last edited by TS Garp; 10-10-2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  I'm going to start with the last question, because I remember it being asked about A-Rod after he performed poorly in his first post-season with the Yanks. Stanton will be fine. He's not remotely the problem.

Andujar strikes me as a solid player to run out at 3B for the next several years at least. No reason not to treat him like a key long-term player.

Sanchez deserves another full season in pinstripes at least, and at the catcher position. His bat at catcher can be such a differentiator, and this season was injury plagued. Patience.

Bird, on the other hand, I dunno. I don't think they'd get anything from him, so see if they can carry Bird and Voit again next year and let them fight for the job.

Starting pitching is key. I think they should keep Happ and maybe Lynn. Sabathia, I'm really torn. As a fan, I wouldn't want to see him cut loose. Intellectually, I can't imagine he won't break (as in "stick a fork in him") sometime within the next one to two years. They can let Britton and Robertson go and get them or one or two guys like them back at some point next year.
                  I agree with this almost to the letter. The only exception is Sabathia, not torn they need a better starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    I agree with B-Fly. Stanton will be fine. Of course they overpaid, but ARod's first season with the Yankees was just okay and then he exploded in his second year. I can see the same thing happening with Stanton.

The issue with Andujar is his defense, which is horrid, and clearly got in Boone's head, as he benched Andujar last night. I can see him going to 1B and the Yankees signing Escobar or LeMhaieu if the latter can play 3B. Or can Torres play 3B?

Speaking of Boone, I think there are questions about him, as well, although that's a constant with the Yankees.

Also, is Brett Gardner a full-time player anymore? Do they re-sign McCutchen and have the two of them split time? Or sign a free agent?

The real question is the rotation and the bullpen. Is Severino truly an elite starter or more of a #2? Do they sign throw a ton of money at Corbin or Keuchel? Can they reply on Sheffield?
                    I think they let Gardner go. They have Clint Frazier ready to step in.

The early money is on Corbin signing.

I don't think they can "rely" on Sheffield, but he'll certainly be in their rotation next year.

Yep, Andujar's D is very bad. He's the anti-Matt Chapman.

Comment

• Didi Gregorius needs TJ surgery and will be out until at least "the summer at the earliest," according to Brian Cashman.

Comment

• I'm interested to see how self representation works out for David Robertson.

In an interesting bit of free-agent news, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com tweets that veteran reliever David Robertson plans to represent himself …

Comment

• "I think they let Gardner go. They have Clint Frazier ready to step in."

Frazier has an 88 OPS+ in 183 MLB PA.

sure, it's only one-third of a season - but it ain't a handful of PA, either.

he's 24 years old, and unfortunately has had some serious concussion issues. he may not even be ready for the start of spring training next year.

I wish him well, but Yankees fans are absolutely delusional about this guy as anything close to a sure thing.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            "I think they let Gardner go. They have Clint Frazier ready to step in."

Frazier has an 88 OPS+ in 183 MLB PA.

sure, it's only one-third of a season - but it ain't a handful of PA, either.

he's 24 years old, and unfortunately has had some serious concussion issues. he may not even be ready for the start of spring training next year.

I wish him well, but Yankees fans are absolutely delusional about this guy as anything close to a sure thing.
                            That's far from a "fair" statement, IMO. The majority of those ABs came in 2017. In his cup o'coffee this year, he was showing improvement, and at AAA he had a .305/.388/.562 line in 210 ABs. No one's saying he's a "sure thing," but he's ready for the majors if healthy.

I'm sure you didn't toss Mike Trout (89 OPS+) or Javy Baez (52 OPS+) off their rookie years.......did you?

Also, if the Yanks are "serious" about not paying the Competitive Balance Tax, then an easy way to trim $10m is to let Gardy go and replace him with Frazier.

Comment

• I agree there some risk with Frazier, especially around health, but for $10 mil, I'd take that risk. If he's not working out for whatever reason, they can make a deal around the deadline for a much better OF than Gardner is anymore for some or all of that cash.

Of course, this will all be moot if the Yanks drop about $330 mil on Harper.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                I agree there some risk with Frazier, especially around health, but for $10 mil, I'd take that risk. If he's not working out for whatever reason, they can make a deal around the deadline for a much better OF than Gardner is anymore for some or all of that cash.

Of course, this will all be moot if the Yanks drop about $330 mil on Harper.
                                Which is still a few million short of actually signing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X