• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    I draft for the regular season. Which this game is part of
    But yet you don't do Sept Expansion which is also part of Baseball

And trades after the original trade deadline

Comment

For those leagues that don't count the 163rd game, do you police individual players to make sure that they don't get 163 (or more) because of MLB trades?. See Willie Montanez, 1976, as an example: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ontawi01.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        I don't think it would be that heated if someone took the HR record in 163. Firstly, Maris got so much garbage for beating Ruth in 162 games vs 154 (including death threats). And Maris was a nice guy, not to mention he was keeping the record in the same franchise. The writers who know that history will be against player being beaten on for games played. Second, Maris' record was eclipsed by McGwire, Sosa and Bonds. So it somebody hits 74 in 163, they're probably going to be greeted with relief.
        I think on one hand you are correct but I could see another camp putting up a big stink!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          WE put it up for a league vote so far 6 no count to 1 count. Sticking points seem to be the 162 game line.
          I would vote the play-in game counts. But league vote seems like the best approach if it isn't 100% clearly delineated in league constitution. Perhaps exclude those in the running from voting in case that were to sway the voting (e.g., leader has 92 pts while three other owners have 90 pts).

I'm lucky to play NL-only. But I've noticed in some of my leagues, football and baseball, that oftentimes general sentiment on rule questions tend to be "whatever the league web site does"

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            I would vote the play-in game counts. But league vote seems like the best approach if it isn't 100% clearly delineated in league constitution. Perhaps exclude those in the running from voting in case that were to sway the voting (e.g., leader has 92 pts while three other owners have 90 pts).

I'm lucky to play NL-only. But I've noticed in some of my leagues, football and baseball, that oftentimes general sentiment on rule questions tend to be "whatever the league web site does"
            Our league sites leaves it up to us - so they are no help - They have even changed the wording of the game first time calling it a playoff game to a tie- breaking regular game LOL. I don't think the game will matter for 1 2 0r 3 but does for 4 ,5 6 (4th being the last money spot and 5th being the first reserve pick.

Comment

"I am curious would Major league recognize if someone in the 163 game was to break a Major league record. Say HR SB for a season? I bet that would bring up some heavy Debate if it was to happen."

Sounds like the "reasoning" commissioner Ford Frick (who counted among his previous jobs being Babe Ruth's PR man, and who was well known for making rulings based on how they effected the Yankees only) used to impose the asterisk on Roger Maris' record, pretty much ruining Maris' accomplishment and life.

My view is that if it's not officially in the post-season, it's in the regular season and should count.

I can only wish that tonight's game would make a difference in how much money I get, if any. My one contending team faded in September.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

I think it makes sense that it's a regular season game if you think about it historically.

In the current season, game 163 looks like a playoff game, it's basically the same thing as the wildcard 1-game playoff.
                But until 1968 the playoffs was two teams, for the World Series. And there was no inter-league play outside the WS. That really changes the meaning of the postseason - it was the best team from each league. I don't think it would be right to redefine the pre-1969 stats. It could even change the definition of which players made it to the postseason in their careers.
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  And how is it fair for a team to lose a spot in the draft because of a game that they're not allowed to participate in? Just another reason why this should be considered post-season and not part of the regular season.
                  this is a compelling argument not to count stats for the last day of the season if a game is rained out and not made up. "How is it fair for a team to lose a spot in the draft because of a game they're not allowed to participate in."

heck, not just the final day - if any teams don't play 162 games, then nobody does..
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    this is a compelling argument not to count stats for the last day of the season if a game is rained out and not made up. "How is it fair for a team to lose a spot in the draft because of a game they're not allowed to participate in."

heck, not just the final day - if any teams don't play 162 games, then nobody does..
                    I have no problem at all with that...if 2 teams need to make up a game so that everyone is on the same playing field, so to speak, I'm all for it.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

so if the AL East champion Blue Jays get rained out on the last day of the season in a meaningless game against the last-place Yankees next year, they have to make up the game so that no fantasy league owners have an advantage over other owners?

better still, let's have none of the last day's games count unless all are completed. this could add some great suspense - sure, HAlvarez pitched a no-hitter yesterday, but if there was a West Coast rainout - no soup for you, Henderson, game doesn't count!

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Not fantasy owners, other team in MLB...there are reasons that everyone should play the same amount of games, and it's generally not a major hardship to make them up during the regular season.

And who, besides you, said anything about cancelling games, or not having the stats count? That seems to be your own little fantasy...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I just found out that in the RJEL, the 3 year title is currently separated by a half a point, and both teams have several players in tonight's game.
                          Wow, I thought I had it locked up -- now I realize I'm the team 0.5 pts behind!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Wow, I thought I had it locked up -- now I realize I'm the team 0.5 pts behind!
                            Want to really bang your head? Got this from Scott today...

Well I stand the most to lose and I don't mind it. I'd enjoy the extra money, but I'll be able to hang on every AB tonight
                            Here's some scenarios that I believe matter:
                            if (my) Kinsler scores 1 run I may get +1.0, 2 runs and I may get +2.0 (the teams I can catch have players in the game).
                            if (revo's) Nathan gets a save he gets +0.5, if it's enough to lower his season era by about .001, he gets another +1.0.
                            if (Dane's) Price gets 10 more strikeouts than Nathan, revo loses 0.5, 11 strikeouts and he loses 1 point.
                            It's conceivable I could go up 1 in OBP, if Kinlser does well and Longoria, L. Martin and Loney do poorly.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Want to really bang your head? Got this from Scott today...
                              That's great, thanks.

In my 16 teamer, RJer NIN is currently in 2nd with 117 pts and I'm in 3rd with 115. But he's up on me in BA with .2669 to my .2668, and the team in front of us has .2670. I have Longoria and he has Martin.

Comment

a few years ago, I won a league when someone was thrown out on the bases that would have easily come around to score. I could lose a league tonight....if Rodney saves a game, some Rangers steal 5 bases, and they hit 8 for 8

Comment

Working...
                                X