is todd helton a hall of famer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is todd helton a hall of famer?

todd the god is hanging it up after this season.

the case - career stats as of 9/19, through 17 seasons (with all-time rankings):

games - 2238
    pa - 9413
    hits - 2507
    bb - 1333 (35th)
    2b - 587 (16th)
    hr - 367 (75th)
    total bases - 4269 (59th)
    rbi - 1397 (74th)
    ba - .316 (69th)
    obp - .414 (26th)
    slg - .539 (36th)
    ops - 953 (20th)

all-star appearances - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

gold gloves - 2000, 2001, 2004

nl batting titles - 2000 (.372)

silver sluggers (1b) - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

comparable players - edgar martinez, jeff bagwell, larry walker, orlando cepeda, johnny mize, vladimir guerrero, will clark, albert pujols*, andres galarraga, john olerud

post-season performance - very unremarkable stats in a very small sample

other - injured a lot

so...

is this enough to get him in?

no coors field bias, now.
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

peak years were pretty ridiculous (ba, hr, rbi, opb, slg, ops) -

1999 - .320, 35, 113, .395, .587, .981
    2000 - .372, 42, 147, .463, .698, 1.162
    2001 - .336, 49, 146, .432, .685, 1.116
    2002 - .329, 30, 109, .429, .577, 1.006
    2003 - .358, 33, 117, .458, .630, 1.088
    2004 - .347, 32, 96, .469, .620, 1.088

kc

Comment

Your comp says it all -- none of those players are in the Hall. Plus, there's this:

Home: .345/.441/.606, 225 HRs
      Away: .287/.386/.470, 142 HRs

Away from Coors, he's a decent player, but no Hall of Famer. He's a product of Coors.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Your comp says it all -- none of those players are in the Hall. Plus, there's this:

Away from Coors, he's a decent player, but no Hall of Famer. He's a product of Coors.
        nobody slags wade boggs for being a product of his little bandbox ball field :grumblegrumble:

home: .354, .443, .491, 362 2b
        away: .302, .387, .395, 216 2b

kc

Comment

Cepeda and Mize are in the Hall. Pujols is still active. Guerrero is retired but not yet eligible for the Hall.

As for Helton--Those who don't want him in will cite the Coors effect. Those who want him in will claim he's worthy regardless. The truth, as usual, lies in between.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            As for Helton--Those who don't want him in will cite the Coors effect. Those who want him in will claim he's worthy regardless. The truth, as usual, lies in between.
            Sage... Want to go out on a limb and say which side of the line you think he's on?
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Cepeda and Mize are in the Hall. Pujols is still active. Guerrero is retired but not yet eligible for the Hall.

That's true, I forgot about Cepeda and missed his inclusion of Mize there.

Comment

modern guys with a career OPS of .855 to .860 (note that Helton's AWAY is .856):
                Napoli .860
                Derrek Lee .859
                Cano .859
                Bernie Williams .858
                Boggs .858
                Brett .857
                Choo .855
                Reggie Smith .855
                Rolen .855
                Beltran .855

of course, a lot of these guys got to play games in Denver, unlike Helton who is only getting his away games counted here

give him 20 consolation pts to get him to .875, and you have WClark, Justice, Sosa, H-Ram, Tulo, Hafner, Burks, Mauer, McCutchen, Magglio, Klesko, AdGonz, Longoria in his range

funny that backers AND detractors can build their case from those names
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

With the steroid era blocking so many who would otherwise be considered above Helton, he's got a chance. It will take him awhile, at least 10 years of voting, but he's got a reasonable chance. I'd vote for him with a weaker field on the card.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Sage... Want to go out on a limb and say which side of the line you think he's on?
                    I voted "yes", but it's not a no-brainer. When he's eligible, I won't be surprised either way.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

What's a reasonable home park split? Most players do hit better at home. Even if their home isn't Coors. Will Clark had an .855 OPS on the road and a .905 OPS at home. Vlad Guerrero was .912 and .950. Add 10% to Helton's numbers and you get:

Home: 316/425/517 156 HRs 298 doubles
                      Road: 287/386/470 142 HRs 271 doubles
                      Total: 302/406/494 298 HRs 569 doubles

Both FanGraphs and BaseballReference have him as a negative fielder despite the gold gloves. So for me it looks like a no. Definitely not until some of the other players ahead of him get cleared out.

I'd definitely take Bagwell over him. Pujols too, even though he may not add much more value to his current totals. And also McGwire. Not sure about Palmeiro or McGriff.

How about this one... using Helton's adjusted numbers above.

player A 9433pa 302/406/494 298 HRs 569 2b
                      player B 8674pa 312/418/515 309hr 514 2b

Comment

Nowhere close to a black and white yes (or no). By that definition he really shouldn't be but I selected yes because I think somehow he will be voted in. These writers are going to find it harder and harder to come up with players who had a dominant period of play from this era that aren't stained by PED allegations and presumptions and (IMO) he'll get in eventually, despite probably not being completely HOF worthy.

Comment

I put him on the edge, but vote no. He's a 1B with less than 400 HR. He has the huge home/road splits.

When it comes to the voting, his biggest problem is that he plays in flyover country.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            ...When it comes to the voting, his biggest problem is that he plays in flyover country.

J
                            I don't think this is true, it certainly wasn't for Larkin or Puckett. I think Helton has a big advantage over Larry Walker, because like Larkin and Puckett, Helton has played his entire career for one team. So Colorado ownership and fans will be pushing hard for him, and others will see him as the face of the Colorado franchise for much of his career (he was their WAR leader from 2000-2005).

I personally think he's borderline, but I strongly believe he'll go in.
                            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              I put him on the edge, but vote no. He's a 1B with less than 400 HR. He has the huge home/road splits.

When it comes to the voting, his biggest problem is that he plays in flyover country.

J
                              I don't think there's as much "coastal" bias as there used to be. As Controller Jacobs pointed out, it didn't seem to work against Barry Larkin or Kirby Puckett, both, like Helton, one-team players who were big with their local communities. I don't have any data, but I don't recall too many HOF-marginal Yankee-Red Sox-Dodger types getting in lately over better players who played here in the "flyovers".

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X