X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Rotoworld:
    "Brewers could move Ryan Braun to right field

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin acknowledged Tuesday that the club has discussed moving Ryan Braun to right field in order to make room for Khris Davis in left field.
    Davis has limited range, but the Brewers want to find a way to get him into the lineup after he batted .279/.353/.596 with 11 home runs and 27 RBI over 153 plate appearances as a rookie this year. Moving Braun to right field would make Norichika Aoki the odd man out, but there would be plenty of interest in him on the trade market given his team-friendly 2014 option. It's worth noting that the Brewers haven't discussed the idea with Braun yet, so it's no sure thing."
    Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter
    Oct 1 - 11:27 AM

Braun would be wise to just keep his mouth shut, grab his glove, and jog out to right field when they ask him. After all of the poor decisions he has made, he needs to kiss a lot of asses for a long time to get past 2013.
    No one has said that Braun has any problem with moving to RF. I think it's a bad idea, and that they'd be better off with Davis or Braun at 1B, the other in left, and Aoki in right, but I don't get a vote.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      I think it's a bad idea, and that they'd be better off with Davis or Braun at 1B, the other in left, and Aoki in right, but I don't get a vote.
      There's no think about it...it's a bad, borderline disasterous idea. Braun is bad enough in LF; he'd be a butcher in RF. Khris Davis is a butcher in LF. Carlos Gomez should go all-Maholm on Melvin for even bringing up the idea.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        There's no think about it...it's a bad, borderline disasterous idea. Braun is bad enough in LF; he'd be a butcher in RF. Khris Davis is a butcher in LF. Carlos Gomez should go all-Maholm on Melvin for even bringing up the idea.
        I agree, but again, I don't get a vote. Sometimes you don't value a good RF enough until you see a bad or mediocre LF try to play there. Getting an extra good bat into the lineup can come at a major cost.

Here's a question--Was Braun really so awful at 3B? I don't remember him being good by any means, but if he could play there (assuming Aramis isn't around), it would be a major coup.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

I agree, but again, I don't get a vote. Sometimes you don't value a good RF enough until you see a bad or mediocre LF try to play there. Getting an extra good bat into the lineup can come at a major cost.

Here's a question--Was Braun really so awful at 3B? I don't remember him being good by any means, but if he could play there (assuming Aramis isn't around), it would be a major coup.
          Braun's defense at third rivals just about any other "worst I've ever seen" story about a player's defense. He was historically awful.

As an aside, though, all the write-ups and stories about him of late have suggested that he's worked hard to become pretty decent in left. JP Breen - a Brewers blogger and Fangraphs writer - has made statements of the sort on his Twitter account throughout the last year and a half, and others have mentioned it as well. If he truly has improved (and he always had the athletic skillset to excel in the outfield) I'm of the opinion that he'd be fine in right.

(Full Disclosure: I own Khris Davis in multiple keeper leagues )

Comment

[QUOTE=Don Quixote;160247]Here's a question--Was Braun really so awful at 3B?QUOTE]

If you enjoy watching train wrecks, Braun was wonderful at 3B. I seem to remember his fielding percentage was under .900 at 3B. The scars of watching him may have corrupted my memory, so maybe I'm exaggerating.

Bodz - Braun has definitely improved in LF. But even with my homer hat on, I'd generously describe his defense as average to slightly below average. Which was a great improvement from awful. But learning RF with a questionable arm....ick.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Get a DH. Problem solved. No one wants to see pitchers hit anyway.
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                The Brewers already have (at least) two. That's why we're having this discussion

Comment

I had no memory of Braun's play at 3B, only that they moved him to left very abruptly. It can't have been too good. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that.

-- William James

Comment

I had no memory of Braun's play at 3B, only that they moved him to left very abruptly. It can't have been too good. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that.
                    Um, it wasn't pretty.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      i do.
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                      X