Verlander is killing me!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you need some mith magic on him...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
      I just traded for him, so I agree.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        Thankfully I don't own him in any league.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Thankfully I don't own him in any league.
          Damn, it's not like he's HORRIBLE...he's just not vintage Verlander. And if you look at the underlying starts, it's not like he's hiding an injury, the velo is there, he just doesn't have good control at this point. As he showed last year, the turnaround to the guy from 2 seasons ago can come any game, or perhaps he's just a good, not great pitcher right now.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Damn, it's not like he's HORRIBLE...he's just not vintage Verlander. And if you look at the underlying starts, it's not like he's hiding an injury, the velo is there, he just doesn't have good control at this point. As he showed last year, the turnaround to the guy from 2 seasons ago can come any game, or perhaps he's just a good, not great pitcher right now.
            The problem is that he has a 1.34 WHIP since the beginning of last season. Because he throws so many innings, he's going to end up with almost 25%+ of a fantasy team's IP by season's end, so that 1.41 WHIP of this season is likely going to torpedo any chance of contending in that category. In my 16tm redraft, for example, second to last in the WHIP category is 1.33.

The strikeouts are a plus, the wins are solid, but he's become a total WHIP killer in roto leagues. And at his price, whether you're in an auction or redraft league, that is unacceptable. His valuation is starting to become more about his legacy than his current form.

Comment

The problem is that he has a 1.34 WHIP since the beginning of last season. Because he throws so many innings, he's going to end up with almost 25%+ of a fantasy team's IP by season's end, so that 1.41 WHIP of this season is likely going to torpedo any chance of contending in that category. In my 16tm redraft, for example, second to last in the WHIP category is 1.33.

The strikeouts are a plus, the wins are solid, but he's become a total WHIP killer in roto leagues. And at his price, whether you're in an auction or redraft league, that is unacceptable. His valuation is starting to become more about his legacy than his current form.
              But in August and September of last year, his WHIP's were 1.17 and 1.10, which shows me that whatever his problem with control is, it's correctable. And you DO want the Verlander of last September who had that 1.10 WHIP and 48 K's in 40 innings.

There's value there, just not what it was in his prime.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Bump!

WHIP up to 1.41. Big name junk. Hey, don't feel bad, he gets to do whatever he wants to Kate Upton's boobies.
                Bump!

WHIP up to 1.51!

Comment

I owned him in 2008 when he stunk it up. I have gone in other directions since then. Glad I stayed away this year!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Bombed again. This is insane.

Comment

I really was hesitant to take him in RJ Mock #1....now I wish I would have passed.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I traded him for De aza last week. I feel guilty for stealing De Aza.
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Kate Upton = Yoko Ono

Comment

Is this an IP issue? He has piled up innings for a lot of years. Not every elite SP is Jack Morris.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

He was traded in my league..yesterday..for Chase Headley!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

So glad I moved him for Calhoun and Bryant before the season started.........he's making me look like a genius!

Comment

Working...
                                X